Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Cumbo is great and future player.

But structurally, JGTI is better playing that Lambo role, and Cotch is Cotch, Dusty and Shai pick themselves, MRJ is our pressure + KPFs. We have set up our forward line for this game with a structure and logic that hopefully will work.

in general we now have too many good players for most positions, so good young players will not get as many games as we'd like. However in 2024 or a few years there will be a number of spots available for these guys. Still sucks. We'll see tonight if the plan works.
Cumberland and dusty played once together I think. Neither were great in the final but I'dve selected both for 3 rounds. Stink it up then drop someone.
Give them a chance to work together. see how it goes.

Graham could have waited for a game.
Lambert only played 9 games last year Sonsie took his spot. Given Graham and Sonsie had been injured I would have started with sonz.
Graham plays Graham's role.

Cumberland and dusty played once together I think. Neither were great in the final but I'dve selected both for 3 rounds. Stink it up then drop someone.

Lambert only played 9 games last year Sonsie took his spot. Given Graham and Sonsie had been injured I would have started with sonz.

Sonsie has had a badly interrupted pre-season and Cumberland has had some sort of recent setback. Given it is a long season and they are essentially 2nd and 3rd year players(Cumberland had his first wiped out by an ACL) do you think it is maybe a bit wise to err on the side of caution with them?

Sonsie has had a badly interrupted pre-season and Cumberland has had some sort of recent setback. Given it is a long season and they are essentially 2nd and 3rd year players(Cumberland had his first wiped out by an ACL) do you think it is maybe a bit wise to err on the side of caution with them?
Why take caution? Strike while iron is hot with cumberland. He is the type of player that thrives with the occasion

Graham with no preseason doesnt sound risky at all? Hea not even lock best 22 and we are rushing him back in

I think Cumberland " missed" one session recently. So did hopper. Sonsie and Cumberland are playing VFL this week.

If sonz and Cumberland werent 100% Clarke had a great preseason. I'dve played him for development.
JG is a player we can improve on

I'd prefer Cumberland in the team.
Am I surprised he's not?
YES!
But the reaction to his non-selection is staggering.
He's all of a sudden reached Ablett Snr, Goodesy, Dusty and Akermanis-esque proportions.
He'll be a good player and a setback might just make him, but the reaction is not befitting a guy who has played a handful of games, a couple of them pretty good.

Why take caution? Strike while iron is hot with cumberland. He is the type of player that thrives with the occasion

Graham with no preseason doesnt sound risky at all? Hea not even lock best 22 and we are rushing him back in

Educated guess, but I think Graham being a 6 year player who has long history in a role Cumberland has no history in may have something to do with it. The club said Graham only didn't play in the final practice match because they thought he would get more benefit from an extra session of drills.

While we know Graham can be useful ball in hand, he is probably a 4.8 score involvement average guy these days where Cumberland went at maybe low 6's last year when adjusted to 75-80% game time.

So you are weighing 1.5 extra score involvements(when we will have 2 absolute top end ground ball score involvement players forward in Martin and Bolton) against the elite pressure of Graham.

So looked at like that Graham v Cumberland probably makes sense based on the balance they need. The iffy bit is probably their respective preparations but the club are in the best position to assess that.

Let's see how they go. Cumberland does look stiff but I can't see too many passengers selected in the roles he would need to play.

Dimma basically just said Dusty playing the role Cumbo was late last year. They will try to get Cumbo involved some other way

Cant understand why people keep saying that cumberland plays like Dusty

what i got out of what Dimma said was Dusty & Cumberland play a similar game and he needs to add other aspects to his game
and what i took that to mean is he needs to do more without the ball and incorporate more pressure on the opposition and get involved more when he and the club doesnt have the ball

Well i rather have 2 dustys than have aomeone else useless

Plenty of time. Graham was really good bar that little bit of rust with his shots at goal, normally a strength. Mansell has looked lost every time I have seen him play forward both levels. But players can improve as they play the role and get feedback. Our pressure was good tonight. There will be chances for all these guys but Sonsie delivery inside 50 may be something of a priority for the team based on tonight's match. No doubt Cumberland will get chances, it is just with Bolton and Martin mostly forward you have 2 of the best few non key forwards in the AFL. As soon as any of those guys, Cotch or the inside mids or wingers get injured spots start opening up and we will see what Cumbo, Sonsie, Clarke, Banks, Ralpsmith etc can produce.

Cant understand why people keep saying that cumberland plays like Dusty

what i got out of what Dimma said was Dusty & Cumberland play a similar game and he needs to add other aspects to his game
and what i took that to mean is he needs to do more without the ball and incorporate more pressure on the opposition and get involved more when he and the club doesnt have the ball
sssshhh stop talking sense its hard for others to comprehend

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dimma basically just said Dusty playing the role Cumbo was late last year. They will try to get Cumbo involved some other way
MRJ seemed to be on Saad a bit. On TV I couldn't tell who Mansell was on. Did he do a good job?
Was Cotch playing fwd? I didn't notice him at Ball ups.

We seem to have the ball in our 50. But can't get scores on the board.
A good game from dusty. Back in form.
Bolton and his 50s. He hasn't learnt and goal misses.

MRJ seemed to be on Saad a bit. On TV I couldn't tell who Mansell was on. Did he do a good job?
Was Cotch playing fwd? I didn't notice him at Ball ups.

We seem to have the ball in our 50. But can't get scores on the board.
A good game from dusty. Back in form.
Bolton and his 50s. He hasn't learnt and goal misses.

What you couldn't notice on TV was that Mansell was literally left alone in our F50 for large portions in the second half. I think Carlton realised he had no real idea where to go and was never going to be a target inside 50 so no need to even try and man him up they just sagged off and looked to impact the contest elsewhere.

Last night we needed another MRJ. Maurice tried to cover too much ground and Mansell was OK defensively but not a threat. If Cumbo can get that defensive work in he will a massive upgrade to Mansell. I suspect that this is what Dimma is going for. A more rounded Cumbo = a much better forward line.

Last night we needed another MRJ. Maurice tried to cover too much ground and Mansell was OK defensively but not a threat. If Cumbo can get that defensive work in he will a massive upgrade to Mansell. I suspect that this is what Dimma is going for. A more rounded Cumbo = a much better forward line.
I noticed JR seemed to be marking the footy almost on the wing. First QTR. anyhow Like a half fwd. Maybe keeping the fwd clear. A job which would suit Cumberland. Maybe there's too many KPF in that case.

Not a loss but pretty crap football from us.
All the ball in our fwd 50 but can't convert.
Bolton. So annoyed. A whole preseason and his goal kicking deteriorates. He is still giving away dumb 50s. He provides no pressure. Almost have too many mid fwds.
I would drop him. Let him get serious in the VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back