Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Young gave JR a bath, a lot of that was 1v1
Jack did fine considering the service he got. Took 4 contested marks and was the #1 rated player on ground I believe. He showed he's still mobile enough to get up and back and took a few big leaps too. He's not going to lose the smarts either.

Young is a very good player.

I noticed JR seemed to be marking the footy almost on the wing. First QTR. anyhow Like a half fwd. Maybe keeping the fwd clear. A job which would suit Cumberland. Maybe there's too many KPF in that case.

Not a loss but pretty crap football from us.
All the ball in our fwd 50 but can't convert.
Bolton. So annoyed. A whole preseason and his goal kicking deteriorates. He is still giving away dumb 50s. He provides no pressure. Almost have too many mid fwds.
I would drop him. Let him get serious in the VFL.

JR is very smart. A roaming role suits him. It was noticeable that often he was just too slow and his leap not enough. Just got to readjust for what he is, not what he was.

Our small forwards didn't convert, and our forward entries were often poor. Allow Lynch to run and jump and the double teaming isn't so much of an issue. At times we looked sharp, but too often it was just pump it in too deep.

I do wonder about Bolton. He looked both great and half baked. Did a lot of defensive running, but doesn't really have much menace, just pressure (lot like Dusty). kicking was poor, but could easily have had multiple goals. hopefully works into the season.

JR is very smart. A roaming role suits him. It was noticeable that often he was just too slow and his leap not enough. Just got to readjust for what he is, not what he was.

Our small forwards didn't convert, and our forward entries were often poor. Allow Lynch to run and jump and the double teaming isn't so much of an issue. At times we looked sharp, but too often it was just pump it in too deep.

I do wonder about Bolton. He looked both great and half baked. Did a lot of defensive running, but doesn't really have much menace, just pressure (lot like Dusty). kicking was poor, but could easily have had multiple goals. hopefully works into the season.
I thought the best 3 forwards on the ground bar the key forwards were Bolton, Martin and Rioli Junior, and by miles. Graham as well but his role was often a lot higher. It is just the Mansell position, he never seems at home on the forward line.

Bolton is never going to be a great kick I don't think. His technique is imperfect to say the least. But his decision making around the fluffed shot at goal could easily be improved upon. Part of that was Jack Graham standing too close as well which allowed the opponent to be within 10m so that whole thing needs sorting out.

MRJ seemed to be on Saad a bit. On TV I couldn't tell who Mansell was on. Did he do a good job?
Was Cotch playing fwd? I didn't notice him at Ball ups.

We seem to have the ball in our 50. But can't get scores on the board.
A good game from dusty. Back in form.
Bolton and his 50s. He hasn't learnt and goal misses.

Mansell looked to be on both of Saad and Docherty quite a bit. Given Carlton had really no run out of defence all night he must have done ok.

Cant understand why people keep saying that cumberland plays like Dusty

what i got out of what Dimma said was Dusty & Cumberland play a similar game and he needs to add other aspects to his game
and what i took that to mean is he needs to do more without the ball and incorporate more pressure on the opposition and get involved more when he and the club doesnt have the ball

His replacement Mansell had 12 pressure acts and 2 tackles for the whole game. That was his one job for the whole game (because he's useless in every other aspect).

Cumberland had 97 pressure acts in 8 games last season = 12 a game along with his 19 goals.

So we gained nothing pressure wise and lost a lot offensively. Tell me again why it was a good decision

His replacement Mansell had 12 pressure acts and 2 tackles for the whole game. That was his one job for the whole game (because he's useless in every other aspect).

Cumberland had 97 pressure acts in 8 games last season = 12 a game along with his 19 goals.

So we gained nothing pressure wise and lost a lot offensively. Tell me again why it was a good decision
I’m hoping they’re just giving cumbo more time after coming back from injury. Finding form etc.

I thought the best 3 forwards on the ground bar the key forwards were Bolton, Martin and Rioli Junior, and by miles. Graham as well but his role was often a lot higher. It is just the Mansell position, he never seems at home on the forward line.

Bolton is never going to be a great kick I don't think. His technique is imperfect to say the least. But his decision making around the fluffed shot at goal could easily be improved upon. Part of that was Jack Graham standing too close as well which allowed the opponent to be within 10m so that whole thing needs sorting out.
I don’t get the Mansell angst here. His first real game as a defensive forward and he wasn’t bad. Give the guy a chance. He has lots of pace and could improve in that role.

I remember everyone was defending George's selection over Cumberland with the same argument last year. When George was finally dropped I think from memory one of Cumberland first goals was by winning a free kick with a tackle and htb. Our forward line looked so much better when Cumberland played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His replacement had 23 disposals 8 I50s 5 score involvements 10 contested possessions 14 pressure acts and kicked a goal.

Mansell played the Castagna/Aarts roll as a defensive small forward.

His replacement had 23 disposals 8 I50s 5 score involvements 10 contested possessions 14 pressure acts and kicked a goal.

Mansell played the Castagna/Aarts roll as a defensive small forward.
Stats can overrate a players contribution. I’m not saying Cumberland is not the better alternative, however, I’d suggest his prep was not where it should have been and the MC decision was for that reason. Mansell it appears is the whipping boy having done nothing wrong. If Cumberland is not getting a game I would think it’s because his fitness is not up to scratch or his attitude has been shit. Also in the final he was shit. Did not chase or play a decent defensive role.

Stats can overrate a players contribution. I’m not saying Cumberland is not the better alternative, however, I’d suggest his prep was not where it should have been and the MC decision was for that reason. Mansell it appears is the whipping boy having done nothing wrong. If Cumberland is not getting a game I would think it’s because his fitness is not up to scratch or his attitude has been s**t. Also in the final he was s**t. Did not chase or play a decent defensive role.
Cumberlands role has been as an attacking mid sized forward which we needed once Martin went out of the side. He filled that role well and deservedly got everyone excited. However we now have Dusty back in the line up and it looks like he'll play 80-90% forward with bursts in the middle when he feels it's needed. As such Cumberland becomes expendable in terms of team balance otherwise we're going to have 5 attacking weapons up forward with Tom Dusty Jack Bolton & Cumberland with Maurice the sole defensive option. We saw in the practice matches how easily the ball rebounded out of our F50 when we didn't have defensive pressure being applied.

Last night our defensive pressure inside F50 was much improved from where it was for most of last year. What we need to do now is sort out our entries inside F50 so that we capitalise on 60 odd entries more than we did last night.

Last edited:

That was last year and he played 2 games in the preseason & a vfl game where he was apparently not too good
Coaches are wanting him to do what they want and similar to Stack if he doesnt improve that aspect then they wont play him

We all like his flashes but he needs to do more without the ball

You know what's the greatest pressure any forward can exert on a back line. Score board pressure, actually kicking goals.

It's a defender knowing he can't relax for a second. That his opponent will make him pay and can turn half chances into goals. That he only needs a handful of opportunities and suddenly he might have 2 or 3 goals against his name. Cumberland has the ability to apply that kind of pressure in spades. Mansell on the other hand has none. And that's the kind of pressure that genuinely worries opposition coaches and match committees.

That said I don't expect to see Cumberland anytime soon. Hardwick has shown he can be a stubborn bastard at times. Hopefully when he finally comes around it hasn't cost us any wins.

Anyhow found this video on youtube. Just a reminder of the talent this kid has...especially when compared to Mansell...

Not sure, something about cumberland being better than dusty.
I was been sarcastic in that post. I reality though i have more confidence Cambo can kick 4 or 5 than dusty. May make him better goalkicker but not better although Dusty is showing signs of slowing down.

That was last year and he played 2 games in the preseason & a vfl game where he was apparently not too good
Coaches are wanting him to do what they want and similar to Stack if he doesnt improve that aspect then they wont play him

We all like his flashes but he needs to do more without the ball
Scoreboard pressure...is the best pressure...not a lockdown forward...

We need to focus on what cumberland can do and not what he cant do.

He kicked so many goals out of nowhere last year. We only scored 58 points from so many entries. We need more goal scorers. And he kicks straight.

Not sure why he cant play with dusty. I think thats bs. Also, he will score more goals than dusty as a full time scorer given the opportunity im sure of it. Dusty works better switching from mid to fwd. cumbo is full time forward.

Cumberlands role has been as an attacking mid sized forward which we needed once Martin went out of the side. He filled that role well and deservedly got everyone excited. However we now have Dusty back in the line up and it looks like he'll play 80-90% forward with bursts in the middle when he feels it's needed. As such Cumberland becomes expendable in terms of team balance otherwise we're going to have 5 attacking weapons up forward with Tom Dusty Jack Bolton & Cumberland with Maurice the sole defensive option. We saw in the practice matches how easily the ball rebounded out of our F50 when we didn't have defensive pressure being applied.

Last night our defensive pressure inside F50 was much improved from where it was for most of last year. What we need to do now is sort out our entries inside F50 so that we capitalise on 60 odd entries more than we did last night.
I can't see replays so it's a bit unclear but It looked like a Richmond game from a few years ago.
Backline seemed to be a wall. Great kudos to back line coach? Every time Carlton got it out we seemed to rebound it back in.
So MRJ lot's of pressure but 2 goals too.
Cumberland has a 50m + kick. Have him high hf. Hit him up more. One goal from Cumberland wins us the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back