Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it Cumberland or Riewoldt? Or can we play both ?
Jack would be keeping Ryan out of the side it’s Rioli Jr, Dusty and Mansell who are occupying the spot Cumbo would be coming in for

That was last year and he played 2 games in the preseason & a vfl game where he was apparently not too good
Coaches are wanting him to do what they want and similar to Stack if he doesnt improve that aspect then they wont play him

We all like his flashes but he needs to do more without the ball
I thought they had good debut half years and would have liked to have kept Cumberland and Sonsies momentum going into this season.
Under perform and you get dropped. Cumberland knows his rank in the Dusty pecking order.
2023 means Higher up the ground. Clarke and others are ready to step in.
Mansell didn't look a natural fit as replacement. Did a few things late. Maybe he builds on that.

At least we played Miller who also needs games.

So we have Graham injured.. hope Sonsie plays. Maybe a different sub from Ross.

I can't see replays so it's a bit unclear but It looked like a Richmond game from a few years ago.
Backline seemed to be a wall. Great kudos to back line coach? Every time Carlton got it out we seemed to rebound it back in.
So MRJ lot's of pressure but 2 goals too.
Cumberland has a 50m + kick. Have him high hf. Hit him up more. One goal from Cumberland wins us the game.
Our backline held up well because there was pressure further up the ground, not just in the midfield, but also when the ball was rebounding out of our F50. Watching Cumberland play at the VFL for a half, he wasn't playing the deep permanent forward role that he played in Martins absence, but was higher up the ground basically working from arc to arc and only really getting inside 50 for centre bounces or as part of the play following the ball in or presenting as an option. It's been mentioned by others I've spoken to about Cumberland that Dimma hinted that he is developing another string to his bow, which ties in with what I just mentioned. And like a couple of others who went back to the VFL to learn a new role, I'd expect that Cumberland will be back when he has a greater undertanding of the new role they want him to play moving forward.

Our backline held up well because there was pressure further up the ground, not just in the midfield, but also when the ball was rebounding out of our F50. Watching Cumberland play at the VFL for a half, he wasn't playing the deep permanent forward role that he played in Martins absence, but was higher up the ground basically working from arc to arc and only really getting inside 50 for centre bounces or as part of the play following the ball in or presenting as an option. It's been mentioned by others I've spoken to about Cumberland that Dimma hinted that he is developing another string to his bow, which ties in with what I just mentioned. And like a couple of others who went back to the VFL to learn a new role, I'd expect that Cumberland will be back when he has a greater undertanding of the new role they want him to play moving forward.
We are taking a genuine forward 50 threat and trying to train him up in a new role so we can squeeze aging champions into the role that he plays better. Not sure I’m a fan of this approach.

Last edited:
We are taking a genuine forward 50 threat and trying to train him up in a new role so we can squeeze aging champions into the role that he plays better. Not sure I’m a fan of this approach.
Exactly. We should be prioritising cumberland, is is a natural weapon not squeezing more games out of our veterans

I was not a fan of how we handled stack too. He was ready for many afl games but we gifted them to aarts/costangna last year. He was a perfect sub who know how that would have turned out. Hope we are not planning that approach and trying to turn cumberland into somthing he is not. Its not going to work.

I don’t pretend to know more than the coaching staff, but surely Noah deserves to be persevered with. I think he has a lot of potential and we need to get games into him.

I fear if we don’t he will get disenchanted and look for opportunities elsewhere, and we will regret not giving him a go. Same could be said for young Ralph-Smith and Judson Clarke.

Exactly. We should be prioritising cumberland, is is a natural weapon not squeezing more games out of our veterans

Squeezing games out of Martin? Mate he had 23 touches and a goal, and wasn’t even close to his best. I’m not sure he is the athlete he was, we shall see, but his smarts, kicking skills, and just general presence aren’t going away. He didn’t quite create as he did last few years and I’m willing to give him more then one game to see if he can return to close to his standard level of scoring creation.

Cotch pinch hit in the midfield and played his role well, he slowed down play a few times by just being smart and allowing us to get our zone set. As for Jack vs Cumberland l, and having to play the 2nd tall, that’s asking a lot more then I think people realise of 184cm mid sized forward.

Should he have played over Mansell, yes I think he should. But reality is a forward line of Dusty, Bolton, Lynch, and Jack has enough class and know how to kick a winning score with 20 extra i50s 99 times out of 100. Turned out Thursday, they were all not quite on. Bolton missed Lynch+Rioli 2 on 1 in square, Dusty puts it a foot over Jacks head in pocket, Graham misses twice from inside 15m etc…

We probably do win if Cumbers plays, but him over Mansell really shouldn’t have been the difference.

I was not a fan of how we handled stack too. He was ready for many afl games but we gifted them to aarts/costangna last year. He was a perfect sub who know how that would have turned out. Hope we are not planning that approach and trying to turn cumberland into somthing he is not. Its not going to work.

Stack was a talent, and I really wish he made it, but why should we have played him? Everything that’s happened since shows he isn’t being professional enough off field. And you wanted us to reward him by playing him in the afl in a team that was hoping to play finals.

Our standards and culture are set, you don’t meet them, you don’t play. No matter how much more talented you are then the guy playing ahead of you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cumberland was drafted as a mid forward. In the U18 Champs he had one game at least I remember where he was used mainly as a mid. I think he could play anywhere from wing to deep forward. Coming back from his knee he was used only forward and it worked so he stayed there, doesn't make him only a deep forward though.

When he comes back in it will be as an all round forward who can be part of the Martin, Bolton triangle if you like, where one is deep the others high half forwards. Until he learns that role, which will be the best thing for him long term, he might be playing VFL.

I don't think Martin will spend the entire year as a forward and will start going through the midfield more, he is just too good to leave as a forward. Therefore the other half forwards will have to play the Lambert role to cover Martin's man as Martin doesn't go into the back half. Graham has one side covered, maybe Cumberland can learn the other and Bolton can stay where he is.

Noah played the role last year that we're having Dusty play this year which is a full time mid sized forward. Not sure you want to bump Dusty out so Noah can continue in the same role as I know who the opposition is more afraid of playing that role.

From what I saw Thursday at the VFL game, what they appear to be doing with Noah is training him up so that he can play a role like Lambert/Edwards used to play and Bolton currently plays, a high half forward who can push up to become an extra midfielder in general play but then pushes hard back into the F50 to be an attacking option that gets lost in the mix and can get on the end of some easy goals.

Natural goal kicker, probably kicks a couple. I don't think his lack of defensive pressure is that bad.
In a game where two Coleman medalists, arguably the greatest player of all time (who spent the entire match forward) and last years All Australian half forward flank all only managed a single goal each in a game where scoring was extremely low - You reckon 10 gamer Noah Cumberland would kick multiple goals easy enough?

FMD I really like Cumberland as a player but he's getting way overrated in here at this point.

In a game where two Coleman medalists, arguably the greatest player of all time (who spent the entire match forward) and last years All Australian half forward flank all only managed a single goal each in a game where scoring was extremely low - You reckon 10 gamer Noah Cumberland would kick multiple goals easy enough?

FMD I really like Cumberland as a player but he's getting way overrated in here at this point.
Let’s be honest as well Carlton’s forward line was just as potent as ours and had some extremely high caliber forwards in the mix as well
It wasn’t the type of game where forwards could dominate especially smalls and mediums because of the sheer amount of congestion in the forward lines

He’s a hard matchup and yes Noah kicks bags. Didn’t you see what he did when he came in last year?

He plays we win by 10.

Goals.

He’s a hard matchup and yes Noah kicks bags. Didn’t you see what he did when he came in last year?
Also saw that Noah applied zero defensive pressure in the final. Has to improve his work rate when opposing players have possession and work to support team mates.

Yes he did kick goals but watching him live i also seen he has alot of work to do with the rest of his game
He has the potential to become a real weapon but also needs to work harder on other area's of his game defensively and also working harder when he doesnt have the ball to support team mates. He will get there and we will have a better rounded player when he does

Also saw that Noah applied zero defensive pressure in the final. Has to improve his work rate when opposing players have possession and work to support team mates.
As did Bolton in particular and to a lesser extent Martin.

I wouldn't take the final as a yardstick for Cumberland, he was ineffective due mainly to Martin playing his position which until then he had done very well in, including pressure which he applies. He was very unsure of his spot in that final.

They have a plan for Cumberland which I am fine with, always thought he would be better up the field anyway and have no problem with him taking some weeks to learn it. I doubt he would have a problem with it as well, more positions, more rounded game.

As did Bolton in particular and to a lesser extent Martin.

I wouldn't take the final as a yardstick for Cumberland, he was ineffective due mainly to Martin playing his position which until then he had done very well in, including pressure which he applies. He was very unsure of his spot in that final.

They have a plan for Cumberland which I am fine with, always thought he would be better up the field anyway and have no problem with him taking some weeks to learn it. I doubt he would have a problem with it as well, more positions, more rounded game.
Cumberland should really watch the Swans games over and over again and watch how this bloke plays.
1679290579955.jpeg
images

They look like Twins so shouldnt be hard to play like Twins

Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back