Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Cumberland should really watch the Swans games over and over again and watch how this bloke plays.
View attachment 1634849
images

They look like Twins so shouldnt be hard to play like Twins
Very similar in style and intensity. Cumberland missed an entire season with an ACL and then played 8 games, as good if not better than Warners first 8.
Warner is going into his 4th year with 40 games under his belt. No reason to believe Cumberland won't be the same sort of player. I have long said he also reminds me a bit of Heeney, touch less class but quicker.

I don't think anyone should be questioning his ability or attitude yet just because Dusty took his spot. He will get a gig again soon enough, just needs a bit of time to adjust to playing up the ground, which as yet due to injury mainly he has not had much time to do.

Cumberland should really watch the Swans games over and over again and watch how this bloke plays.
View attachment 1634849
images

They look like Twins so shouldnt be hard to play like Twins
When I think of the way they used Noah on Thursday night at the VFL, Warner could very well be the type of role they are looking at for Noah to play down the track.

When I think of the way they used Noah on Thursday night at the VFL, Warner could very well be the type of role they are looking at for Noah to play down the track.
I would hope so as he does have that X factor that Warner has just needs to get the midfield run into his game and work harder defensively
If we can get him upto speed in that area he will be a genuine weapon

As did Bolton in particular and to a lesser extent Martin.

I wouldn't take the final as a yardstick for Cumberland, he was ineffective due mainly to Martin playing his position which until then he had done very well in, including pressure which he applies. He was very unsure of his spot in that final.

They have a plan for Cumberland which I am fine with, always thought he would be better up the field anyway and have no problem with him taking some weeks to learn it. I doubt he would have a problem with it as well, more positions, more rounded game.
Agree. Martin and Bolton didn’t apply pressure in our final either but I think they have a few more credits in the bank than Cumberland. I fully agree when he comes back it will most likely to be with a more rounded game. He will be fully aware of what’s required to keep his position. I have no problem with how this is being handled.

I dont understand why cumberland is the one that has change his position now dusty is back? He is better in that position as full time forward. Dusty is the one that needs change back to his switching mid/forward role

I dont understand why cumberland is the one that has change his position now dusty is back? He is better in that position as full time forward. Dusty is the one that needs change back to his switching mid/forward role
Dusty is 31 and may only play until his contract ends and then walk away, so while we've got him why not train up younger options to play a similar role moving forward and let him enjoy the final couple of seasons playing the game how he does.

If he feels like he is needed in the midfield, he'll go in there for a stint, if he feels that he is more of a threat up forward he'll stay there.

Noah will get his chance if he puts in the work required to make him a more well rounded player, otherwise he could another dime a dozen HFF who came and went before he knew it.

Cumberland is no worse a pressure player than most of the rest of our forward line.

But because you can't teach an old dog new tricks, or simply the dog doesn't have the foot speed or stamina to do it anymore, Cumberland apparently is the one that has to refine his game. How long this will go on for is anyone's guess, assuming that we are winning of course.

However, if it did go on for a protracted period of time, I'd be amazed if other clubs didn't start whispering in his manager's ear that he should consider coming on over because they like him just fine the way he is. Just saying this is more about the players around him and Hardwick than it is about Cumberland.

He should be in the side.

I will preface this by saying I do think that Cumberland should have played in round 1 ahead of Mansell. But the hyperbole on here about him is insane. He’s talented but he isn’t Dusty reincarnated, he’ll be lucky to be half as good.

No he is not better then Dusty as a full time forward. Just because Dusty is versatile doesn’t mean he isn’t one of the best forwards of his generation.

Dusty is the best forward of centre player of the last 10 years, his ability to score and create scores is basically unmatched.

He is the best forward one on one between 2011 and 2021 by win percentage.

BEF0D59D-1EBC-414A-BB5F-59FC9D89FFC0.png

He has kicked 6 goals as a forward in a final, he’s kicked 4 goals twice in grand finals, some of the most ridiculous goals you’ll see. His score involvements and goal assist would likely be top 5 over the last 6 years. He was the undisputed best player in the game.

Just because he was also midfielder doesn’t take away from his brilliant forward craft. Like thinking Mecuri was a better forward then Hird cos he played there all the time and Hird played everywhere.

Cumberland is no worse a pressure player than most of the rest of our forward line.

But because you can't teach an old dog new tricks, or simply the dog doesn't have the foot speed or stamina to do it anymore, Cumberland apparently is the one that has to refine his game. How long this will go on for is anyone's guess, assuming that we are winning of course.

However, if it did go on for a protracted period of time, I'd be amazed if other clubs didn't start whispering in his manager's ear that he should consider coming on over because they like him just fine the way he is. Just saying this is more about the players around him and Hardwick than it is about Cumberland.

Why the hell shouldn’t Cumberland refine his game? Is it ridiculous to ask a 22 year old to get better and add strings to his game?

Rioli, Short, Baker, McIntosh, Caddy etc. were all sent back to the VFL to learn new positions and increase their versatility.

As for your shot about stamina and speed, Dusty racked up 23 touches on Thursday through work rate and ability to win the ball. Cumbers career high is 14 touches, which is also less then Dusty’s 15 in the final last year in his first game back.

If cumbers wants to be the best player he can be, then it’s him, not Dusty that’s has to learn new ways to impact the game and increase his consistency across 4 quarters.

Also Dusty averaged 15 pressure acts a game last year and pretty much has been in that 14-15 range since 2017. Cumbers averaged just under 11.

Last edited:
I will preface this by saying I do think that Cumberland should have played in round 1 ahead of Mansell. But the hyperbole on here about him is insane. He’s talented but he isn’t Dusty reincarnated, he’ll be lucky to be half as good.

No he is not better then Dusty as a full time forward. Just because Dusty is versatile doesn’t mean he isn’t one of the best forwards of his generation.

Dusty is the best forward of centre player of the last 10 years, his ability to score and create scores is basically unmatched.

View attachment 1635251

He has kicked 6 goals as a forward in a final, he’s kicked 4 goals twice in grand finals, some of the most ridiculous goals you’ll see. His score involvements and goal assist would likely be top 5 over the last 6 years. He was the undisputed best player in the game.

Just because he was also midfielder doesn’t take away from his brilliant forward craft. Like thinking Mecuri was a better forward then Hird cos he played there all the time and Hird played everywhere.

Why the hell shouldn’t Cumberland refine his game? Is it ridiculous to ask a 22 year old to get better and add strings to his game?

Rioli, Short, Baker, McIntosh, Caddy etc. were all sent back to the VFL to learn new positions and increase their versatility.

As for your shot about stamina and speed, Dusty racked up 23 touches on Thursday through work rate and ability to win the ball. Cumbers career high is 14 touches, which is also less then Dusty’s 15 in the final last year in his first game back.

If cumbers wants to be the best player he can be, then it’s him, not Dusty that’s has to learn new ways to impact the game and increase his consistency across 4 quarters.

Also Dusty averaged 15 pressure acts a game last year and pretty much has been in that 14-15 range since 2017. Cumbers averaged just under 11.
We arent comparing cumberland to dusty. They should be in the side together. But if you you have to, dont compare cumberland to dusty careerwise lol thats obvious?

We arent comparing cumberland to dusty. They should be in the side together. But if you you have to, dont compare cumberland to dusty careerwise lol thats obvious?

You compared them??? You wrote Cumbers was the better full time forward and Dusty should be the mid/forward.

I don't think he has to change position, I think he has to add another dimension to his game so that he can be part of a rotating forward line. The forward pocket is death in football, ask Butler, Higgins, Castagna, Rioli how they enjoyed it after a season or two. Get up the ground at times and deep at times. Agree regarding Dusty. Cumberland would also we wanting that role as well you'd think. All young players who played there as a junior want midfield time.

Mansell's selection is the problem one. No experience at the position at senior level. And didn't kick a score, didn't apply amazing pressure. I think Graham laid a couple of tackles on Saad.
I'd have Cumberland ideally but Clarke. Had a good preseason, if he has the fitness. Sonsie has to be in the side too

Don't know if the match committee is happy with a draw. I'm not with the midfield we now have

Ross and Mansell in the spotlight for mine.

Last edited:
Geez, the lengths we go to.
Said it last week, will say it again.
Prefer Cumbo playing than not playing and surprised he didn't.
But he's somehow become Dusty-esque or Ablett-esque overnight.
Not saying he won't or can't be a very good player, but he's a bloke with a handful of games to his credit so far, a couple of them good.
Clearly has much to work on and I'll back him in to work on them.
But his non-selection had nothing to do with us nearly losing and drawing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mansell's selection is the problem one. No experience at the position at senior level. And didn't kick a score, didn't apply amazing pressure. I think Graham laid a couple of tackles on Saad.
I'd have Cumberland ideally but Clarke. Had a good preseason, if he has the fitness. Sonsie has to be in the side too

Don't know if the match committee is happy with a draw. I'm not with the midfield we now have

The dynamics of our forwardline has changed over a couple of seasons.

Dusty playing predominantly forward ,

Cotch playing more forward time ,

And Bolton also spending a lot of time inside the f50.

Apart from Cotch who lacks a yard none of them are putting on any defensive pressure.

I can see the reasoning for playing Mansell as that pressure forward, but agree with you he just doesn’t have the experience.
Surely you just put it on Cumbo to tidy up that part of his game.

Yes he did kick goals but watching him live i also seen he has alot of work to do with the rest of his game
He has the potential to become a real weapon but also needs to work harder on other area's of his game defensively and also working harder when he doesnt have the ball to support team mates. He will get there and we will have a better rounded player when he does
He’s a better option than mansell though surely? Imo he can work on those things and still be playing AFL. He’s far too good to be playing twos.

The dynamics of our forwardline has changed over a couple of seasons.

Dusty playing predominantly forward ,

Cotch playing more forward time ,

And Bolton also spending a lot of time inside the f50.

Apart from Cotch who lacks a yard none of them are putting on any defensive pressure.

I can see the reasoning for playing Mansell as that pressure forward, but agree with you he just doesn’t have the experience.
Surely you just put it on Cumbo to tidy up that part of his game.
On TV it's hard to tell where he is playing but Cotch had 56 ,% of his disposal in the back half. So he is effectively a mid still. Graham 70:30 Dusty and Shai 80:20 fwd mid.

All our fwds applied more pressure than Mansell.

At the game I thought Mansell did a good job on Saad. It was obvious he was there to stop his run and stick close to him. Saad had 18 disposals of which 7 were kick ins.

At the game I thought Mansell did a good job on Saad. It was obvious he was there to stop his run and stick close to him. Saad had 18 disposals of which 7 were kick ins.
hHe killed Saad, and you only have to look at Saads game last night v the cats to see how important he is to them.

View attachment 1635251

News flash…..Cumberland already impacts game by kicking goals. It’s his job as a finisher.

Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back