Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

News flash…..Cumberland already impacts game by kicking goals. It’s his job as a finisher.

Where did I say he doesn’t impact games?

I said he needs to add more strings to his bow, honestly it’s not even my opinion, it’s the coaching groups opinion. I’m just reading the tea leaves.

Given the other players in our system who have had to do the same I don’t see how it’s a problem. It should be expected

Where did I say he doesn’t impact games?

I said he needs to add more strings to his bow, honestly it’s not even my opinion, it’s the coaching groups opinion. I’m just reading the tea leaves.

Given the other players in our system who have had to do the same I don’t see how it’s a problem. It should be expected
I’ll give you that you’re only reading the tea leaves but…….., the same coaching group that played Edwards far past his use by date and cost our team a good finals run. Not to mention a bunch of other things they got wrong. So no, the coaching group is not a good excuse. They’ve been off for a while now.

I’ll give you that you’re only reading the tea leaves but…….., the same coaching group that played Edwards far past his use by date and cost our team a good finals run. Not to mention a bunch of other things they got wrong. So no, the coaching group is not a good excuse. They’ve been off for a while now.

You also thought it was ridiculous that Stack wasn’t played last season. I’ll take the coaches decision making over yours. You have a poor track record with these things

You also thought it was ridiculous that Stack wasn’t played last season. I’ll take the coaches decision making over yours. You have a poor track record with these things
I did say stack should’ve been played after his one and only bad game last season . You forgot what he did late in the season before last year, he was one of our best players. His opportunity was lost and he didn’t have the disposition to continue. my track record is solid.

Pretty funny reading all these comments about how he's lazy and doesnt have a defensive bone in his body LOL

will be back in the side soon when the coaching staff realise he simply cant be left out. Hope theyre not trying to turn him into a lambert type- he's not that type of player, hes an offensive weapon that can pants his direct opponent 1 v 1, he doesn't need to run up the field to cover and allow dusty to drift forward like Lambert used to, we have others that can be moulded into that role, Graham, Ross, Clark to name a few.

Pretty funny reading all these comments about how he's lazy and doesnt have a defensive bone in his body LOL

will be back in the side soon when the coaching staff realise he simply cant be left out. Hope theyre not trying to turn him into a lambert type- he's not that type of player, hes an offensive weapon that can pants his direct opponent 1 v 1, he doesn't need to run up the field to cover and allow dusty to drift forward like Lambert used to, we have others that can be moulded into that role, Graham, Ross, Clark to name a few.
May be underselling him a tad. If he is good 1 on 1, then he can be of value up the ground a bit. I cannot see why he can't play wing at times, or high half forward. It can't hurt to develop his game and then he can play multiple roles. Can always go back there if it doesn't fit up the ground.

May be underselling him a tad. If he is good 1 on 1, then he can be of value up the ground a bit. I cannot see why he can't play wing at times, or high half forward. It can't hurt to develop his game and then he can play multiple roles. Can always go back there if it doesn't fit up the ground.

Point I’m trying to make is that he’s too good an offensive weapon to be playing a Lambo type role, which in essence was defensive coverage for when dusty drifted forward. He can play midfield and high half forward, but it will be a different role to what Lambert was playing.

Last edited:
At the game I thought Mansell did a good job on Saad. It was obvious he was there to stop his run and stick close to him. Saad had 18 disposals of which 7 were kick ins.
We saw what happens on Thursday night when Saad is allowed to run free. He chopped Geelong to pieces. Someone had to sit on him and that someone was Mansell and did a decent job. Sometimes it's horses for courses and this week we don't need a Mansell because Crowbots dont have someone as dynamic as Saad to need a minder.

We saw what happens on Thursday night when Saad is allowed to run free. He chopped Geelong to pieces. Someone had to sit on him and that someone was Mansell and did a decent job. Sometimes it's horses for courses and this week we don't need a Mansell because Crowbots dont have someone as dynamic as Saad to need a minder.
Yep.
Can understand the need for Young.

Young and Balta take the two talls.
Rachelle and Rankine will be the two big threats.

Vlastuin and Grimes should be the ones the nullify these guys with Broad as the intercept.

We will stretch them for height up forward but key will be ensuring our marks stick.

Expect Jack to play a lead up the ground game and clear out for Lynch and Dusty. But also bodes well for Samson playing deep as well.
Will be interesting how we use him. He might clash against a similar style in Lynch.

We should also have them covered in midfield with more depth and run. Particularly with a longer break and the heat they played in last week.

No real excuses today.

At the end of the day take all the bullsh1t out of it forwards are there to kick goals. For a bit of perspective and way of comparison here are some modern day so-called gun forwards ave. goals:

Jeremy Cameron: 2.53
Noah Cumberland: 2.37
Jack Riewoldt: 2.31
Taylor Walker: 2.25
Tom Hawkins: 2.24
Tom Lynch: 2.11
Jack Gunston: 1.91
Eddie Betts: 1.83
Joe Daniher 1.82
Charlie Cameron: 1.7
Bayley Fritch: 1.59
Eric Hipwood: 1.48
Cryil Rioli: 1.46

The days of averaging 5 and kicking 100 goals are long gone. The list above is filled with All Australians, Coleman medalist's, highly ranked, highly paid players. Even Riewoldt who's spent 90% of his career as our number one target, 3 times Coleman medalist, 10ish times leading goalkicker at Punt Rd has an inferior average. Anyone noticing MJR this year would notice he's biting off more than he can chew lately, ignoring the first option, trying to dance and weave but mostly getting caught. Why isn't he banished to the magoo's for his flaws. Cumberland is on a pittance, came in as a pick 50 mid. Coming back from a knee reco he was thrown up forward and flourished. Cut the sh1t, accept whatever perceived flaws he has and play him in the ones. We averaged 100 points last year. last week we couldn't buy a goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the end of the day take all the bullsh1t out of it forwards are there to kick goals. For a bit of perspective and way of comparison here are some modern day so-called gun forwards ave. goals:

Jeremy Cameron: 2.53
Noah Cumberland: 2.37
Jack Riewoldt: 2.31
Taylor Walker: 2.25
Tom Hawkins: 2.24
Tom Lynch: 2.11
Jack Gunston: 1.91
Eddie Betts: 1.83
Joe Daniher 1.82
Charlie Cameron: 1.7
Bayley Fritch: 1.59
Eric Hipwood: 1.48
Cryil Rioli: 1.46

The days of averaging 5 and kicking 100 goals are long gone. The list above is filled with All Australians, Coleman medalist's, highly ranked, highly paid players. Even Riewoldt who's spent 90% of his career as our number one target, 3 times Coleman medalist, 10ish times leading goalkicker at Punt Rd has an inferior average. Anyone noticing MJR this year would notice he's biting off more than he can chew lately, ignoring the first option, trying to dance and weave but mostly getting caught. Why isn't he banished to the magoo's for his flaws. Cumberland is on a pittance, came in as a pick 50 mid. Coming back from a knee reco he was thrown up forward and flourished. Cut the sh1t, accept whatever perceived flaws he has and play him in the ones. We averaged 100 points last year. last week we couldn't buy a goal.
Thank you, we have too many with the funny tinted glasses in here that don’t notice the truth.

Is he better than Dusty and Bolton? No

Careful mate, don't ask questions people don't want to hear answers for.

Dusty's form & disposal has been miles off his peak for more than a couple of seasons. If you are asking if Dusty or Noah has been more impactful in the fwd line in recent times, im not positive that answer is clear.

Think we need to wait and see how he goes tomorrow

Don’t remember him being mentioned as a standout throughout pre season

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Who cares. He is guy the plays well in the afl not vfl. We need to play him. Killed it last year just by giving him a chance.

Cumberland must play ....I just don't understand this at all .....couldn't be any worse than what Bolton is dishing up at the moment ... l feel sorry for MRJ ... he seems to be the lone pressure forward in the team .....he can't do it on his own

Remove this Banner Ad

Back