Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice rant, but lets correct a few things.

Martin averages 2.9 tackles a game for his 271 game career and since pressure acts started being recorded in 2012 he has averaged 14.4 a game.
Noah averages 1.9 tackles and 10.8 pressure acts, which both rated as below average for a mid sized forward that Noah played as last year, he also rated below average for disposals and marks, but lets not let that interfere with your ranting.
What’s his rating for goals per game?

I reckon he’s real hard for the opposition to match up on
Adds that point of difference, has so many weapons
Can get u multiple ways
Completely agree, but the issue with Noah isn't the ability to finish, we all know that is one thing he excels at. However as I pointed out last night, he doesn't get enough of the ball when not hitting the scoreboard. Which is why they want to train him up to be able to run through the middle, so that we can add him to the mix with Bolton, Martin and possibly Taranto, then we would always have 2 attack minded midfielders and 1-2 dangerous mid sized goal kickers on the field at the same time, which then makes our midfield & forward units even more dangerous and multi pronged.
What’s his rating for goals per game?
Elite

Clearly working on his defensive game and no issue with that. Yes I want him him in the side now but if he comes back applying above average or even better, elite level pressure, we will be laughing.

He is a big strong lad and he is fast, so he should be smashing blokes. Loved that Steve Morris mentioned the oppo on the weekend were aware he was around, suggests a nasty physical. That's what he needs to bring to AFL level to go to the next level.

So what are we trading him for at the end of year? Pick 94?

Cos even with dusty (supposedly taking his spot in the team), we are happy to pick clarke/ralpthsmith (both did nothing in vfl and okayish afl) over a guy who’s absolutely smashed out of the park last year in the afl. Wtf.
hes contracted for next year so probably pick 70

Clearly working on his defensive game and no issue with that. Yes I want him him in the side now but if he comes back applying above average or even better, elite level pressure, we will be laughing.

He is a big strong lad and he is fast, so he should be smashing blokes. Loved that Steve Morris mentioned the oppo on the weekend were aware he was around, suggests a nasty physical. That's what he needs to bring to AFL level to go to the next level.
I got no problems with that , but the issue is we had 3 tackles in our forward 50 last week so the forward line aren't doing it either with or without him personally didn't see it a issue last season for him.The fact is you don't keep your most talented player out of the side to in his favoured position no brainer.

Cos even with dusty (supposedly taking his spot in the team), we are happy to pick clarke/ralpthsmith (both did nothing in vfl and okayish afl) over a guy who’s absolutely smashed out of the park last year in the afl. Wtf.
Mate it’s not you going nuts…..this is big footy after all. common sense and reason are a rare sight.
cumbo not playing is criminal.

You clearly didn't watch the VFL. He was nowhere near the best (and was behind both Ralphsmith and Clarke in performance) and he wasn't terrific in either of the practice games.

People need to leave alone the ghosts of the past and focus on what blokes are doing in the here and now. Just because Jacob Townsend played one of the best months of footy I've seen, doesn't mean he warranted his spot the next year.

I'm not saying Cumberland is at that level, but he's a young player that needs time, patience and development. He isn't key position and he isn't a bloke that can go into other spots if it doesn't work for him up forward at the moment. That will come as he develops.

At the moment the forward mix is definitely a work in progress. It's going to be wet and we need blokes that can either clunk it (Lynch, Riewold and a resting Ryan or Nank) or blokes that can crumb and run defensively against a Pies side that has thrived in running off half back.

I don't think he's the right selection for this match and his form doesn't warrant it.

You clearly didn't watch the VFL. He was nowhere near the best (and was behind both Ralphsmith and Clarke in performance) and he wasn't terrific in either of the practice games.

People need to leave alone the ghosts of the past and focus on what blokes are doing in the here and now. Just because Jacob Townsend played one of the best months of footy I've seen, doesn't mean he warranted his spot the next year.

I'm not saying Cumberland is at that level, but he's a young player that needs time, patience and development. He isn't key position and he isn't a bloke that can go into other spots if it doesn't work for him up forward at the moment. That will come as he develops.

At the moment the forward mix is definitely a work in progress. It's going to be wet and we need blokes that can either clunk it (Lynch, Riewold and a resting Ryan or Nank) or blokes that can crumb and run defensively against a Pies side that has thrived in running off half back.

I don't think he's the right selection for this match and his form doesn't warrant it.
He lit up the AFL for weeks on end and all of a sudden he can’t play?
he played two prac matches that were average ?

we play Ross who only shines in the VFL, and keeps bouncing back and forth from great VFL games to mediocre AFL games. Over and over instead of developing players who could really give us something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love a good melt

Bang

we play Ross who only shines in the VFL, and keeps bouncing back and forth from great VFL games to mediocre AFL games. Over and over instead of developing players who could really give us something.

Did you miss Ross final against Brisbane? He was outstanding. Cumberland was average. That form was mirrored last week. Cumberland had done nothing to warrant selection yet this season. Average preseason and preseason games and was average last week. Cumbo will be the Sub this week imo. Chance for him to come on and impact

Did you miss Ross final against Brisbane? He was outstanding. Cumberland was average. That form was mirrored last week. Cumberland had done nothing to warrant selection yet this season. Average preseason and preseason games and was average last week. Cumbo will be the Sub this week imo. Chance for him to come on and impact

How many games has Ross played that were great and how many has Cumberland played that were great?

?

I never said he couldn’t play. I said he’s a young player who at the moment doesn’t warrant selection based on form, his game and our opponents.

Ross played well in the VFL and as has been pointed out was great against the Lions last year in the absence of Prestia.

Got to reward good form.

When Noah brings goals AND defensive pressure AND potentially a bit more versatility other than playing forward to the table he’ll no doubt be in the side. Time is on his side and we should all be patient.

Ross deserves his crack. Cumbo hasn’t earned his spot yet. It will come then it’s up to him. I still believe he will be the sub tonight and your melt is pointless

I never said he couldn’t play. I said he’s a young player who at the moment doesn’t warrant selection based on form, his game and our opponents.

Ross played well in the VFL and as has been pointed out was great against the Lions last year in the absence of Prestia.

Got to reward good form.

When Noah brings goals AND defensive pressure AND potentially a bit more versatility other than playing forward to the table he’ll no doubt be in the side. Time is on his side and we should all be patient.
Cumbo has done more than enough during his AFL stint to get a regular game based on that form.
If he could do all that you're asking he would be close to the best player in the comp. I think those type of 3xpectations are unfair on any player.

I got no problems with that , but the issue is we had 3 tackles in our forward 50 last week so the forward line aren't doing it either with or without him personally didn't see it a issue last season for him.The fact is you don't keep your most talented player out of the side to in his favoured position no brainer.

Tackles inside forward 50; whilst not a meaningless stat has to be weighted against other factors to be used an explanation of a level of pressure inside forward 50.

For example, tackles inside forward 50 are often higher in situations where efficiency inside forward 50 is also low. Against Carlton we had 16 tackles inside forward 50 [third best for the round] but a very low efficiency inside forward 50 (lower efficiency = ball in contested situations/ stoppages more = more opportunities to tackle). Greater efficiency = more scores = more likely that the next contested situation is outside forward 50.

Against the Crows, we seemingly isolated our key forwards more (see Dusty’s goal in the third). 1v1 scenarios in itself mean it’s less likely to register a tackle inside forward 50.

A better stat for pressure is probably pressure act, although than in itself isn’t perfect.

Unfortunately pressure acts inside forward 50 isn’t a publicly available as far as I’m aware. Midfielders will generally have a high PA number, but isolating our forwards: these are the PA numbers against Adelaide.

MRJ: 19
Dusty: 18
Bolton: 13
Graham: 31 (some from midfield is likely).
Cotchin: 14 (some from midfield is likely).

(haven’t included Ryan, Riewoldt or Lynch being key forwards).

For a comparison, in the practice match against Melbourne; the PA numbers were as follows:

MRJ: 28
Dusty: 13
Bolton: 13
Cotchin: 17 (some from midfield is likely).
Cumberland: 10

Obviously Cumberland is the worst of all of those above. That said, I don’t think he isn’t in the side because of lack of applied pressure alone (think he’s endeavor is pretty good). But also learning a new position where he’s able to push higher than 60-70m from goal. I’d rather him develop for a few more games in the VFL then play the rest of the season with Dusty and Co. than only be selected when Dusty is out.

I also thing it’s worth questing your line ‘The fact is you don't keep your most talented player out of the side to in his favoured position no brainer’.

If your forward line (outside of KPFs) is Dusty, Bolton, Graham and Cotchin/ Mansell (if a third tall isn’t playing) then Cumberland is really only more talented than Mansell. Graham is the best pressure player in our team since 2017; and can (and does) push into the midfield.

In fact, I’d argue that Cumberland isn’t in our top 18 most talented players; and your 19/20–22 players on your team are going to be role players to ensure you have a balanced team.

Think we need to dismiss this notion that Cumberland is some sort of rare talent that should be treated above team needs and balance. The AFL is filled with washed up players that played a sensational period of football then fizzled after that (not suggesting that will be Cumberland however). Past performance is no guarantee of future performance.

Cumbo has done more than enough during his AFL stint to get a regular game based on that form.
If he could do all that you're asking he would be close to the best player in the comp. I think those type of 3xpectations are unfair on any player.
Geeze I rate Cumbo but you are definitely blowing some smoke here

He’s probably only had one amazing game (where he kicked 5 against Brisbane, but in that same game he only had the ball 8 times that also highlights some of his downside that the coaches are helping him work for)

All of his other games his numbers are basically the same as Edwards in the respective games they played together and someone who was called to be dropped throughout the entire season
Those games were basically all massive victories where we dominated as a team (beating Essendon by 65 points, Hawks by 61 points and Port by 38) but in all these games he still only managed two goals in each of them

Pretty standard goal numbers in such massive wins and if anything

I appreciate that Cumberland hasn't done anything this season to warrant selection but he really didn't last season either. He doesn't seem to ever set the world on fire when playing at the lower level but, for whatever the reason, he steps up at AFL level with the better delivery and forward-craft around him.

I don't think its fair to compare him to Townsend either. Townsend wasn't naturally talented. He was just a hard nut who was a beautiful set shot. He wasn't a forward. He didn't have the skills, forward craft or X-Factor Cumberland has. I think Cumberland would be in the team right now if it wasn't for the inclusion of Hopper and Taranto. Dimma wants to keep as many of our quality mids in the team as possible and his current fix is to push them into the forwardline. I don't think this is a great idea.

Cumberland does need to step up at VFL level but given his form in the AFL team last year, but I don't think that's really what's holding him back. I think he's a victim of structural change atm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back