Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

I love a forward with great goal sense and forward craft but he is a one-trick pony who needs to expand his impact.

Fantastic effort last year, however, teams put utterly no work into him, allowing him freedom to do what he does best. VFL form shows he gets more attention from an opposition team and he doesn't seem to overcome that attention too well. He was played tight in the practice match games and didn't produce. Ryan Mansell frustrates me severely every game he plays but deserves his position ahead of cumberland.

I never said he couldn’t play. I said he’s a young player who at the moment doesn’t warrant selection based on form, his game and our opponents.

Ross played well in the VFL and as has been pointed out was great against the Lions last year in the absence of Prestia.

Got to reward good form.

When Noah brings goals AND defensive pressure AND potentially a bit more versatility other than playing forward to the table he’ll no doubt be in the side. Time is on his side and we should all be patient.
Ross goes from being played in the middle in the VFL to starting on the wing. He found a lot of the ball in the final. So he is just a midfielder once play starts.
Mind you I saw him sub in for caddy on the wing a couple of years ago. Played it textbook.
Sonsie probably played Prestias spot.
The way dusty has started the season Cumberland won't be waiting too long
. In the meantime Young, Ryan, Clark are the 3 game club..
Hugo played less than 20 so there's a lot of youth on display.
Mansell actually did some unexpectedly slick things on the field game 1 and a crucial contested mark. Late. Maybe kept Saad a bit quiet.
I hope mansell builds on that.

Ross deserves his crack. Cumbo hasn’t earned his spot yet. It will come then it’s up to him. I still believe he will be the sub tonight and your melt is pointless
Clarke is the one ahead of Cumberland

Dusty returning to the 22 was going to squeeze someone.
Graham back in the 22 is one less fwd/mid spot.
Young and Clarke having good preseasons deserve to be rewarded.

Last edited:

I love a forward with great goal sense and forward craft but he is a one-trick pony who needs to expand his impact.

Fantastic effort last year, however, teams put utterly no work into him, allowing him freedom to do what he does best. VFL form shows he gets more attention from an opposition team and he doesn't seem to overcome that attention too well. He was played tight in the practice match games and didn't produce. Ryan Mansell frustrates me severely every game he plays but deserves his position ahead of cumberland.
What a load of crap

I live how everyone is saying he doesn’t deserve a game on form. Pretty sure everyone on here had him in there round one side until dimma opened his mouth.

I hate tooting my own horn, but I was going with Cumberland not making the best 22 for structural reasons in September of last year. I’m sure this is going to make me come across as an arrogant a**hole; and hubris will surely strike fast, but nevertheless, see the below quoted posts.

It’s hard to peg how much improvement the young guys (including Cumberland) will improve with another pre-season under their belt.

Obviously Gibcus falls into this category. I don’t think Gibcus can play Broad’s role, so does he improve enough to replace Balta, Grimes or Tarrant? Maybe Tarrant, and if he does, that only bodes all the better for our side.

Insofar as Cumberland, someone had to make way once Hopper and Taranto are factored in. The flow on effect is that probably means that Martin and Bolton both spend more time forward. We generally don’t play 6 forwards; we more often than not push one, or to flankers up to the contest (often the ‘Lambert’ role) or the wings (KMac and Pickett often operating as the 7/8 defenders). Think that’s what Graham does really well.

Again, if Cumberland can play this role; or maybe they give it to someone else (MRJ?), or he continues to improve he may well take that spot. And again, so much the better for our squad if he does.

It really is a hard exercise.

My take:

FB: Grimes Balta Tarrant

HB: Rioli Vlastuin Broad

C: McIntosh Prestia Pickett

HF: Graham Martin Rioli

FF: Riewoldt Lynch Bolton

F: Nankervis Taranto Hopper

INT: Cotchin Short Miller Baker

EMG: Cumberland, Sonsie, Ross, Gibcus

Rarely; if ever will your best 22 is all fit and good to play at any one time.

I’m sure others will not like Cumberland being the guy who misses out. But if we are able to facilitate Hopper and Taranto, Martin and Bolton spend more time forward meaning someone like Cumberland probably gets squeezed out.

When it’s a difficult exercise it’s scary how good we could be in ‘23.

Point is that often we often overlook the importance of a player or player type to overall team structure. It wasn’t such a leap to think that maybe the role Cumberland was playing at the back end of 22 wouldn’t be the best for the balance of the team with the additions of Hopper and Taranto.

I’d say this again, Cumberland has the talent to be in the best 22 week in and week out. If he continues to refine his role in the VFL then he puts himself in the position where if he gets into the 22 he stays in the 22 for the rest of the season. It’s a long season and Cumberland should have a long career. A bit of patience could see the best outcome for all involved.

Let’s not go overboard putting the benefit of the player over the benefit of the team.

Geeze I rate Cumbo but you are definitely blowing some smoke here

He’s probably only had one amazing game (where he kicked 5 against Brisbane, but in that same game he only had the ball 8 times that also highlights some of his downside that the coaches are helping him work for)

All of his other games his numbers are basically the same as Edwards in the respective games they played together and someone who was called to be dropped throughout the entire season

Those games were basically all massive victories where we dominated as a team (beating Essendon by 65 points, Hawks by 61 points and Port by 38) but in all these games he still only managed two goals in each of them

Pretty standard goal numbers in such massive wins and I was looking at the wat he plays the game. I if anything

I was looking at the way he plays. I'm not calling him the next Bartlett. He has something special which needs developing . That development is done in the first not the reserves.

I hate tooting my own horn, but I was going with Cumberland not making the best 22 for structural reasons in September of last year. I’m sure this is going to make me come across as an arrogant a**hole; and hubris will surely strike fast, but nevertheless, see the below quoted posts.

Took 30 seconds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You clearly didn't watch the VFL. He was nowhere near the best (and was behind both Ralphsmith and Clarke in performance) and he wasn't terrific in either of the practice games.

People need to leave alone the ghosts of the past and focus on what blokes are doing in the here and now. Just because Jacob Townsend played one of the best months of footy I've seen, doesn't mean he warranted his spot the next year.

I'm not saying Cumberland is at that level, but he's a young player that needs time, patience and development. He isn't key position and he isn't a bloke that can go into other spots if it doesn't work for him up forward at the moment. That will come as he develops.

At the moment the forward mix is definitely a work in progress. It's going to be wet and we need blokes that can either clunk it (Lynch, Riewold and a resting Ryan or Nank) or blokes that can crumb and run defensively against a Pies side that has thrived in running off half back.

I don't think he's the right selection for this match and his form doesn't warrant it.
Needs more tackles and pressure right?

Pies are just so much more composed when they have the ball and their 50 entries are with purpose compared to Richmond
We are just bombing the ball on the heads of our fowards giving their defenders the best chance to spoil

Dumb football

Player Watch #38 Noah Cumberland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back