Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri - signed thru '29 - T2 for tackles/T10 for tot.clearances/T1 frees for/T2 for hitouts AFL-wide after 21rds - AA?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope X has a good look at how Briggsy destroyed Tom DeKoning by taking away his leap, and ragdolling him at his leisure, worked an absolute treat
X's two shockers this season were against the athletic Jackson and Grundy. Absolutely need to watch a lot of tape this week.

Biggest issue I have with X , is that he doesn’t feed off the handball to a running player. To many hack kicks forward
I think this has been a real growth area for him. I used to get very frustrated with this but I find his handball has improved a lot of late. He's so big and strong he can get his arms clear in the tackle and dish it off to a runner. He still does the odd dump kick. There's a time and place for that but overall I think that's decreasing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 10 in the comp for

Contested possessions
Clangers (lol)
Contested possession percentage rate
Centre clearances
Stoppage clearances
Total clearances
Hitouts (#2 comp)
Hitouts to advantage
Frees for (#1 comp)
Free against (#1 comp)

Has attended the most ruck contests in the league and the most centre bounces in the league

Saints game to Gold Coast game was a great stretch

But both Grundy and now De Koning have gotten ahold of him.

De Koning got them going in the 3rd quarter and at the time, X wanted to wrestle and he was being used as a step ladder.
It’s the exact same way Luke Jackson monstered him earlier in the year.

Needs to lift again.

Saints game to Gold Coast game was a great stretch

But both Grundy and now De Koning have gotten ahold of him.

De Koning got them going in the 3rd quarter and at the time, X wanted to wrestle and he was being used as a step ladder.
It’s the exact same way Luke Jackson monstered him earlier in the year.

Needs to lift again.
Spot on.
Which surprised me because De Konning was just flapping around like a Godfrey’s inflatable sky dancer for the first half. Gave his mids everything at that point. What was Xerri doing? Is it that checking-out type of thing our whole list seem to be quite susceptible to at half time this year?

Spot on.
Which surprised me because De Konning was just flapping around like a Godfrey’s inflatable sky dancer for the first half. Gave his mids everything at that point. What was Xerri doing? Is it that checking-out type of thing our whole list seem to be quite susceptible to at half time this year?

The next step for the group is to try to arrest momentum in quarters and not wait till 3QT.
1st quarter, X was all over him and even after TDK came back onto the ground after his injury, with his knee heavily strapped I thought X was going to tear him apart.
But no, the 3rd quarter was elite by Carlton. Disappointing all round.

The next step for the group is to try to arrest momentum in quarters and not wait till 3QT.
1st quarter, X was all over him and even after TDK came back onto the ground after his injury, with his knee heavily strapped I thought X was going to tear him apart.
But no, the 3rd quarter was elite by Carlton. Disappointing all round.

Had a good look at this.

X got the first clearance of the 3rd qrt, his 10th for the day and teakle kicks the goal.

Carlton win the next 6 clearances but I wouldn’t say much of that was TDK. We had first hands a few times but got pressured out of it. X took one out of the air at boundary throw in and got caught HTB. Certainly TDK lifted, no doubt about that. North won the next 2 making it 6-3 blues way.

At the 13 min mark both X and TDK went off, and McKay beat comben and then teakle for 2 goals with the blues getting well on top again.

When X and TDK came back on with 8 to go, north won 6 clearances to 0 with X dominant from boundary throw ins.

One area TDK dominated X was when razor threw the ball up at CB.

All in all, X was good, TDK a bit better.

But when you factor in the rest of the game X took the chocolates comfortably albeit with TDK off the ground a bit.

McKay surprised me with how good he was in there against teakle.

I think some of you seriously need to reconsider what your definition of "destroyed" and "got a hold of is"

The only ruckman that was destroyed on that field yesterday was TDK in the first half. And I say that as someone that thinks TDK has been close to the best player in the comp the last 2 months.

Tristan had 9 clearances at half time ffs.

That was TDK's worst game statistically since he's moved full time in the ruck. He's been pretty much unbeatable the last 2 months.

Some people have raised the GWS game, Briggs didn't dominate him at all. De Koning had 26 touches and 11 clearances against Briggs.

It was TDK's lowest disposal game in 2 months.

Xerri is the only one that's been able to work over TDK physically in that time. He's been a force of nature, including against his own brother.

It was Tristan's biggest hitout game of the season, whilst he didn't have his way in the air like he has the last month, TDK is also a quality player.

Tristan brutalised the Carlton mids around the ball and a lot of them would be waking up very sore boys.

For years we critiqued Goldy wishing he had genuine mongrel and was a physical imposing ruckman.

Well Xerri is pretty much the alpha male of rucks at the moment. I reckon he'd even rag doll peak Mumford at the moment.

What our major issue is at the moment is Teakle. He's a bit of bizzaro man. Drafted as a ruckman, Collingwood put a pre-season into him as forward. He's a liability in the ruck at times, McKay absolutely killed him, which is crazy considering he's a ruck, but he's proving a really handy outlet as a forward.

He needs a massive preseason ghosting Xerri in the gym as he's getting bullied even by relief ruckman at the moment.

Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri - signed thru '29 - T2 for tackles/T10 for tot.clearances/T1 frees for/T2 for hitouts AFL-wide after 21rds - AA?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back