Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri - signed thru '29 - 2024 All Australian squad member

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m happy to admit that I got it wrong with X. Thought he’d be a battling ruckman at best but to see how far he’s come in the space of 12–18 month is a credit to himself and Monkey and Clarko

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I’m happy to admit that I got it wrong with X. Thought he’d be a battling ruckman at best but to see how far he’s come in the space of 12–18 month is a credit to himself and Monkey and Clarko

Me too - still not 100% sold TBH but he is playing much better than I thought he could. I think I was wrong too.

Biggest surprise is the softening of Xerri's hands of stone - he looks much more confident and secure overhead, and is taking some beauties, real ruckman's marks.

Too many people had their opinion skewed early by a few dropped marks when he was ~10 games in and let it taint their view on every aspect of his game. There are even a few stubborn campaigners out there still clutching at straws to this day.

Just on Xerri's improvement, he was dominating and putting up these types of performances in the VFL years ago so it was really only a matter of how long it would take to translate that to AFL level.

I remember there was a game against * at Windy Hill a few years ago where he had something ridiculous like 35 touches, 30 hitouts & 10 clearances. Broke some sort of disposal record for ruckmen IIRC.

EDIT: found it (my memory was close)

1722396346194.png

Just on Xerri's improvement, he was dominating and putting up these types of performances in the VFL years ago so it was really only a matter of how long it would take to translate that to AFL level.

I remember there was a game against * at Windy Hill a few years ago where he had something ridiculous like 35 touches, 30 hitouts & 10 clearances. Broke some sort of disposal record for ruckmen IIRC.

View attachment 2064365

i dont know if this was the game, probably, but i remember he broke the contested possession record in one game.

he broke the record by three quarter time.

His development has been incredible really. Hope he can keep improving.
humphrey bogart everything about this film is perfect GIF by Maudit

View attachment 2064365
not a bad day for WilPhil there either

it feels like only yesterday when this board had a meltdown over his new contract. Feels good to be one of a handful that was happy with the decision

Bruce Willis GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre
At the time his form wasn't great but in hindsight it was a good move we locked him in then because his money and interest from other clubs would've gone up enormously.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been whinging about ruck contests for a couple of years...

2 x 110 keg plus men going at it and a dickweed ump calls a block or an over the shoulder or a holding etc Almost always tiggy touchwood crap and usually no one including the rucks know whos free kick it is.

Piss off the nominating and bring back 3rd man up. Ruck contests are boring as **** now.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
What gets me annoyed is when the bounce down doesn't go straight or the throw in is short and it is this mistake that causes the infringement.

And where do you think he will be in a few years? That's what I am excited about. He will be at his top when we are a realistic chance of finals.

Those were crazy days though, way back in 2021.

Jason still had one surname and Scott "Jarrad Grant" Clayton was wowed by his loyalty and stickatitedness.

Callum Coleman-Jones was an amazing pickup, we were the best wooden spoon side in history and key positions were places you put your car keys, not things you recruited for.

It was our last, long summer of innocence.
Great days or otherwise known as before anyone knew what a CCJ was

i think we can all stop patting ourselves on the back saying 'i knew he was good and no one listened'.

improvement isn't linear and more likely than not some part of his game will dip as he gets works on improving his weaknesses.

Xerri has shown to be a player so make sure to keep the faith even when the chips are down

i think we can all stop patting ourselves on the back saying 'i knew he was good and no one listened'.

improvement isn't linear and more likely than not some part of his game will dip as he gets works on improving his weaknesses.

Xerri has shown to be a player so make sure to keep the faith even when the chips are down

Yeah nah.

Xerri copped heaps of shit on here for no reason other than he wasn't Goldy. It just so happened that the people defending him also copped plenty too.

I know I'm not the only one that took a long break from this thread because it spent about 2 years as a "X is a dud" echo chamber with any constructive discussion on him as a player falling on deaf ears.

I'm not going to say I expected X to do THIS. Like, I thought he looked like a promising player, I liked his work around stoppages particularly, but I also thought he had some work to do on his hitouts to advantage, his marking, and his ability to play tight on the more athletic rucks. He's improved all 3 of those things massively this year, and he's also tackling way more. I don't think people were wrong for having those concerns, he deserves credit for putting the work in and improving.

As the season comes to a close soon……and those so called experts doing their AA teams l will chuckle…
Coz little ol us have this beast in the team and by golly if he were in a bigger club they’d be creaming themselves.
Bravo x …keep building and knocking all those so called experts outta the park.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #38: Tristan Xerri - signed thru '29 - 2024 All Australian squad member

Remove this Banner Ad

Back