Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Is Harding the new Arnold Briedis?

• Yes, he is the new Briedis

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No, he's not the new Arnie

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • His goalkicking reminds me of the great Arnie Briedis

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • He is ruggedly handsome like Arnie!

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

from the heraldsun
Leigh Harding, 20, who came off the rookie list to play two games last year, starred on a wing.

"He has put on six or seven kilos since last year, he's quick and his confidence is up," Pagan said.

I think this is exciting news.

Harding has often shown freakish ability, pulling down hangers and kicking freak goals.

I've always had doubts about him going further considering he played mainly as a forward pocket in the magoos.

Pagans good words and his performance on the wing has cast him in a new light for me.

He seems a bit quirky, but there is a hint of something special about this guy.

Like its just waiting to be unleashed.

with abraham missing for most of the season , harding couyld step up and take that small forward role

his style of play may be like allison , but hardings put on 6-7 kg , i don't think allison put on 6-7 kg in his whole career , lol

but agree , hope he can be as good as allison or better

Harding & Allo alike

Yep that was me malibu ;)

hows allo and longmire coaching yesterday! and apparently Longmire is going to coach sydney against the roos this year!!

Maybe him and JNR have that same something special in them- I would assume after this that he might take a small forward spot or Watson will (we know Watson can kick goals- 4 on saturday- that cant be bad- if we can get 3/4 out of him as much as possible thatll be great! And hopefully Harding can release that something special- and JNR can give it to the half back line!)

Go Roos2002

Originally posted by Mr. Blonde
Does anyone know how tall Harding is?

Can't recall any official stats, but I'd guess around 179-180cm.

Wathcing him on Saturday, he did look very much like Brett Allison - in fact I noticed this just as DOC turned to me to say the same thing. Evasive, small quick steps, and knows where the goals are (although like Allison, doesn't always convert).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by hilly
This bloke will be a good player, thought he was a bit unlucky with some of those misses in the last quarter. I think some posters need to look elsewhere for a scapegoat
I could not agree more Hilly. Lets not forget this bloke was a rookie list player last year and is still very much in the embrionic stages of his developement.

But what an excitement machine!! How encouraging is it to have a kid like him who is so quick, so creative yet still so raw and has so much improvement in him? He can make things happen out of almost nothing and will get better. The kicking for goals thing is purely a mind set thing and him adjusting to regular senior footy. In the MK's he ate those for breakfast! Once he realises he belongs and has that one or two game where they start sneaking in, it will all click. When it does, look out. We definately have a player in this kid!

luck had nothing to do with it. i cant believe the rose coloured glasses worn by everyone here......he had so many chances but panicked.......that is not a good sign. i agree he did well to get it so often but easy misses will kill us

At least he is getting himself in the position to score that often! The guy is a second year rookie more or less. Why the hell are we relying on these blokes to win matches for us?!? Perhaps if the much vaunted leadership group that Denis always goes on so much about stepped up and made an impact, then the likes of Harding would be icing on the cake, not the vital ingredient!!

sorry i forgot...no criticism on this board.......

if you were at this game please give me your opinion on whether he missed any sitters............

hear ya carlos and agree to an extent.

on the plus side, how unlikely diud hardings goal look as the ball came into the forward line? he made lemonade out of that lemon of a delivery.

rose coloured glasses maybe but at least he LOOKED like a forward.

Originally posted by pastie37
sorry i forgot...no criticism on this board.......

if you were at this game please give me your opinion on whether he missed any sitters............

Of course he missed some sitters, but you could put that down to inexperience under pressure situations. In the first quarter, Kingy missed two absolute sitters with little pressure, it was just poor kicking and something that you wouldn't expect someone of his experience to do twice in the space of 30 miutes.

I am going to have a bit each way here. Harding certainly should have kicked more goals today. However, it is encouraging that he is able to get the ball and he really looks dangerous when he has it. Hopefully with a bit more experience he will gain a little more poise and achieve better results from his shots at goal.

Harding was not alone in missing shots at goal. As Aussie Roo said it started with David King missing those two shots very early in the game and continued for the rest of the match.

Originally posted by pastie37
i cant believe the rose coloured glasses worn by everyone here......he had so many chances but panicked.......that is not a good sign. i agree he did well to get it so often but easy misses will kill us

Obviously didn't see much of the game did we. He created chances out of nothing and crap delivery.

He actually turned the game with his pace and willingness to present himself in the second quarter, a defining moment which made Melbourne think twice about running forward of the play and forcing them to man up in the back half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Back