Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Is Harding the new Arnold Briedis?

• Yes, he is the new Briedis

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No, he's not the new Arnie

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • His goalkicking reminds me of the great Arnie Briedis

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • He is ruggedly handsome like Arnie!

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by choppy

Obviously didn't see much of the game did we. He created chances out of nothing and crap delivery.

He actually turned the game with his pace and willingness to present himself in the second quarter, a defining moment which made Melbourne think twice about running forward of the play and forcing them to man up in the back half.
Dead right. And he backs himself with the ball. He runs, he evades and tries to make things happen. Give this kid a break! What would we prefer? A dour, unskilled, slow, 5'6 player or this exciting and different youngster?

Originally posted by Carlos

And he backs himself with the ball. He runs, he evades and tries to make things happen. Give this kid a break! What would we prefer? A dour, unskilled, slow, 5'6 player or this exciting and different youngster?

Here. Here.

I havn't been this excited about a new player since Pickett. He is starting to get noticed by the football public.

i thought he played a tremendous game....and he was robbed of one of his shots in the last quarter which looked like a goal, but supposedly shaved the post.....

Originally posted by hilly
This bloke will be a good player, thought he was a bit unlucky with some of those misses in the last quarter. I think some posters need to look elsewhere for a scapegoat

agree with you totally here as the guy missed most of his hots in a fast paced last last quarter take off one unlucky bounce and half of the posters here would of been calling him a hero.

he was under preassure for almost all the points he kicked i see him as the brett allison replacement we need in the team

take a herder look at the likes of d king who has had trouble with goals all yr

Originally posted by hilly
This bloke will be a good player, thought he was a bit unlucky with some of those misses in the last quarter. I think some posters need to look elsewhere for a scapegoat

Well he looks like the heir apparent to Brett Alison, but he needs to work on his kicking on the run. Alison would have drilled most of 'em today.

It's a good sign though, he is a ball magnet.

Although Harding kicked 1.5, he arguably played his best game for the club. His ability too keep his feet when others tumble over is very good. Great hands too and very clean although does lack some poise, which will come in time. Will kick a bag of 5+ by seasons end.

hopefully he will become the classy crumber on the forward line that we have been missing since fruity left

i know where your coming from about not being in fruitys league but i do remember the 98 grand final and the geelong preliminary where fruity was just as human as harding today.

He is a real breath of fresh air and finally someone who can actually run. Looks like something is about to happen when he gets the ball.

I do think he missed some sitters though but that happens to the best of them.
King and Harvey come to mind, maybe because that is the only time I can remember seeing them two near the ball.

King, Harvey, Stevens, Colbert, Clayton etc. all fluffed a few kicks as well... bit's more excuseable when the player has only played 5-10 games, not 100+. Harding was one of our best today and always looked dangerous, and he adds pace to a very slow line-up.

Was disappointed when I saw his bald stats of 1.5 but having seen a bit of the replay I must say he looked a very exciting prospect. Heaps of pace,which we need,almost "aboriginal" ability to make something out of nothing. I think we're in for some exciting times from this guy when he really fells he belongs. There'll definitely be days when he kicks 5.1 or better!

the boy looks great.
at the game in canberra the runner spent more time talking to hima than any other player on the field. as he is still so inexperienced the coaching staff probably feel he needs more input.

by the way i thought that you weren't alllowed to coach players on the field.

I too want to say that while i was dissapointed in Harding kicking 1.5 and losing by 4 points, he should not get the blame if that is the case. As with most close games there were other factors that didn't go our way (eg form of other players, clangers etc) that meant it shouldn't have come down purely on Harding's misses. I too am encouraged and excited as to having him play for us. All i ask of him now is to not tuck his head into his shell, to see this as a learning experience and to come out of this a stronger player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Gasometer
Disregarding his kicking on the weekend, how great is it to have Harding coming along!

A more mobile version than 'The Fridge'. Perhaps he should be called 'Mini Bar Fridge'?

Indeed, more to come from 'MBF'.

Gasometer:p
Love it Gasometer!!:p

Can see the resemblance. Hope he turns out to be just as good!!

Why turtle ?

* because his long sleeve jumper makes him look like he's wearing a turtle neck ?

* He has a long neck ?

* He Hybernates ?

* He eats .. err .. whatever turtles eat ?

* He suffers from Shell-Shock ? (sorry - that was poor)

* He can really Shell it out ? (and speaking of poor ...)

Originally posted by Ausgard
Why turtle ?

* because his long sleeve jumper makes him look like he's wearing a turtle neck ?

* He has a long neck ?

* He Hybernates ?

Hehehehe, apparently it is because he 'doesn't come out of his shell often' :rolleyes: :D

But I'm sure there is a double meaning to that.

Originally posted by Ausgard
Why turtle ?

* He has a long neck ?

* He Hybernates ?

Gee Ausgard, you really stuck your neck out with those last two:rolleyes:

Sorry.:(

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Back