Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Is Harding the new Arnold Briedis?

• Yes, he is the new Briedis

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No, he's not the new Arnie

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • His goalkicking reminds me of the great Arnie Briedis

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • He is ruggedly handsome like Arnie!

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the standard that he has to play consistently. Forget the kicking for a sec. I'm sure that will improve to a degree if he can constantly work as hard as he did last night. The problem for turtle is that the team won't play to that level every week. Regardless of how the team is going he has to take it upon himself to be mentally strong enough to do the right things. Then the respect and rewards will come.

Confidence comes with games on the trot and if this happens then we will see Turtle's kicking at goals improve. Right now he will be expecting a trip back to Port so you have to expect that his performance will suffer slightly because of this. Stick him in front of his own fans and lets watch him get back to top form A required player in that forward line for pace alone.

encouraging signs. didn't get alot of the ball but did do alot of defensive things which i think we all wanted to see. that tackle on brown was very good. a couple of goals next week and he will be difficult to drop as our forward line has been fairly disfunctional as late.

KangaMan said:
Imagine if he could kick, I did like his game though... I'd like to see him stay in the side, he did his job.

His overall accuracy in recent years hasnt been that bad he just hasnt had as many opportunities. Last year he was still kicking around 70% which is only a percent or two lower than Lloyd or Gehrig and most of their shots are set shots.

Mr Reliable said:
At least he made a contribution which is more than you can say about some of his other games.

I agree, I think that unless he improves he'll be trade bait at the end of the year.

Unfortunately I don't think that he'll be able to step up to the mark.

I have been a long-time fan of Leigh, and always thought that one day he would sort himself out. He has so much potential and speed that most current AFL players would kill for.

Unfortunately I saw his brother playing for Redlands in the AFLQ on my way to the Gabba on Saturday. He is a similar type of player, good turn of speed, not quite as tall, and looks dangerous around goals. Until he kicks that is :(

I fear that it may be something genetic in the Harding family that leads to their inaccuracy. His brother (cant remember his name for the life of me) sprayed a 25m set shot dead in front, out on the full, and didnt even get close with a couple of snaps.

Having said that, I though Leigh showed a bit on Saturday, was very busy, and looked to do the team thing. Had he converted a couple, he would have been deemed to have had a good game.

Wels Eicke said:
Anyway, his pace in the midfield would be an asset. Whether he's good enough is another question....but I'd like to see him given a go!

I have been thinking the same thing for a few years now. Why won't they play him up the ground I don't know. Even if he can't last the whole game, give him a quarter or two in the middle or on the wing.

He looks much better running towards the 50 and at least kicking it long than trying to slot in a set shot on the angle from 20 metres out.

With the coaches rotation policy, putting Harding in the midfield wouldn't be a problem for him....let him run....he kicks better when not kicking at goals.

Broker said:
With the coaches rotation policy, putting Harding in the midfield wouldn't be a problem for him....let him run....he kicks better when not kicking at goals.

Harding in the midfield would be a distaster.

The only reason he's quick, is fear of being hit (that's not my words, that's been mentioned to me on a few occasions from ppl a bit closer to the action than yours truly)

vlad76 said:
I have been thinking the same thing for a few years now. Why won't they play him up the ground I don't know. Even if he can't last the whole game, give him a quarter or two in the middle or on the wing.

He looks much better running towards the 50 and at least kicking it long than trying to slot in a set shot on the angle from 20 metres out.

Don't play him on the wing, thats too close to out of bounds, If he was played in the centre he would still spray them, but at least the ball should stay in bounds. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tas said:
His overall accuracy in recent years hasnt been that bad he just hasnt had as many opportunities. Last year he was still kicking around 70% which is only a percent or two lower than Lloyd or Gehrig and most of their shots are set shots.

Yeah but does that include kicks not making the distance and out on the full?? He has a shytload of them!

KangaMan said:
Yeah but does that include kicks not making the distance and out on the full?? He has a shytload of them!

That can be said for all footballers though, i guess Lloyd and Gehrig do not put too many out on the full but they get a lot of set shots 20m or less from goal because they are the target of inside 50 delivery.

You will find most if not all forward pockets have accuracy issues, guys like Milne and Matera at times couldn't hit the side of a small planet but overall are good players.

I think it is just a good option to play Harding more and free up Grant and Harvey so they can play in the midfield more. We need them there because we can't afford to have too many defensive midfielders there.

Arden said:
I have been a long-time fan of Leigh, and always thought that one day he would sort himself out. He has so much potential and speed that most current AFL players would kill for.

Unfortunately I saw his brother playing for Redlands in the AFLQ on my way to the Gabba on Saturday. He is a similar type of player, good turn of speed, not quite as tall, and looks dangerous around goals. Until he kicks that is :(

I fear that it may be something genetic in the Harding family that leads to their inaccuracy. His brother (cant remember his name for the life of me) sprayed a 25m set shot dead in front, out on the full, and didnt even get close with a couple of snaps.

That would be Brett, Leigh has more talent in his left nut than Brett has in his whole body. The problem with leroy is that he hasnt the motor to play anywhere else on the ground. He also suffers from "Showponyitus" which causes a person to shy away from as much physical contact as humanly possible and wait for the easy ball.

Unless he can develop a bigger engine and some brass nuts he'll continue to be a one trick pony...although im not sure what that trick is anymore.

So some of you think that the "Super Quick" 6 foot 4, in Shannon Watt should be tried up on the wing. There are others who think that Leigh "Jack Daniels" Harding should be given a crack in this position. Which of the 2 would you prefer and why?

On the assumption that there is a vacancy on the wing, I would prefer Harding. It would make it harder for him to have shots at goal from way out there and he run into space like Shane Clayton used to.

My post earlier may have seemed harsh - perhaps a bit too blunt. I'm guilty of that sometimes. It may not have been his worst game for the club but I won't retract my earlier comment because I don't believe he will be with us next year simply because he is not up to it.

I think Harding would be good.His tackling was good on sat night so hopefully he keeps doin the little things.Also with Grimma back next season he could play there cos he has some pace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Back