Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Is Harding the new Arnold Briedis?

• Yes, he is the new Briedis

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No, he's not the new Arnie

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • His goalkicking reminds me of the great Arnie Briedis

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • He is ruggedly handsome like Arnie!

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

no comment. Tas is your man for campaigning for Turtle Power. I'm in Tas' doghouse for rattling his tin. ;)

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325426

I just pointed out in previous years that we had nobody better to put in the forward pockets so dropping him was pointless. That is not the case this year after we drafted 3 forward pockets and elevated another. We have options now so I expect him to as a seasoned player to have significantly more upside than a young player who looks promising and contributes. He would need to play like a champion in the VFL for me to change my opinion.

My only real gripe with ditzy supporters is when they fail to use logic to support arguements. CJ may be a hard working forward but he is the Mark Porter of medium forwards. Handy and will give you 100% when you have nobody better but they are not the players that are going to take you to a premiership.

We all know he can play a decent game but he doesn't bring his A grade game often enough, it is why I find a lot of similarities between CJ and Harding.

Both CJ and Harding have been fortunate we have had troubles finding good forward players over the years.

I am just ammused that people see Harding as useless and have a massively different opinion of CJ. I would have thought the game against Brisbane typified when CJ is bad, he is ugly bad with the ball bouncing off his chest dead in front of goal, missing sitters. If it was Harding you lot would be bringing the rope to lynch him.

My only real gripe with ditzy supporters is when they fail to use logic to support arguements. CJ may be a hard working forward but he is the Mark Porter of medium forwards. Handy and will give you 100% when you have nobody better but they are not the players that are going to take you to a premiership.

We all know he can play a decent game but he doesn't bring his A grade game often enough, it is why I find a lot of similarities between CJ and Harding.
Both CJ and Harding have been fortunate we have had troubles finding good forward players over the years.

I am just ammused that people see Harding as useless and have a massively different opinion of CJ. I would have thought the game against Brisbane typified when CJ is bad, he is ugly bad with the ball bouncing off his chest dead in front of goal, missing sitters. If it was Harding you lot would be bringing the rope to lynch him.

If Jones is the Mark Porter of medium forwards, then Leigh Harding is the....Leigh Harding of small forwards.

I also find a similarity between Jones and Harding, in that I have the same reaction when they massively fck something up in front of goal. I reacted the same when Jones hit the post on Friday night as I did when Harding hit the post in the tight one against WCE at the Dome in 2005, or the absolute sitter in front of goal against Melbourne last year.

But that's where it stops, one will finish his career at North at the end of this year most likely, the other will play another 100 games at least and has already proven himself to be 1000% more versatile than Harding.

See last year's Geelong game where Jones dominated off a half back flank. That's down back. Harding has one string to his bow and is mediocre at best, I'll give you two strings if you can prove that 'Serving James Hird with a crunching tackle off the line' is a criteria that footballers are measured on right now.

I think Edwards - not Campbell or Thomas - has sealed Harding's fate.

I also find a similarity between Jones and Harding, in that I have the same reaction when they massively fck something up in front of goal. I reacted the same when Jones hit the post on Friday night as I did when Harding hit the post in the tight one against WCE at the Dome in 2005, or the absolute sitter in front of goal against Melbourne last year.

Jones has had his stuff ups, but he has also gotten goals in pressure situations (the winning goal in Archer's 250th being his best one). But I don't think anyone would want the ball in Harding's hands in the time on period of the last quarter with us trailing by 5 points.

Jones has had his stuff ups, but he has also gotten goals in pressure situations (the winning goal in Archer's 250th being his best one). But I don't think anyone would want the ball in Harding's hands in the time on period of the last quarter with us trailing by 5 points.
Agreed.

Jones is quality, Harding is a Laidley All Star, wouldn't get a game under another coach.

Jones is quality, Harding is a Laidley All Star, wouldn't get a game under another coach.

Harding's field kicking wasn't too shabby though. During Pagan's time, there was a game against Hawthorn where he just killed them playing off the HBF and wing - lovely long low passes straight to our player's chests. I've got no idea why Pagan and Laidley didn't use Harding in the midfield more often.

Not that it matters now. It's almost a certainty that Harding will be delisted at the end of this season.

harding has been named to play for tassie this week, nd it will be televised on abc in melbourne. Looking forward to seeing how hes recovered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thats what i thought and i checked the site and there is another leigh harding who plays for them. Confusing. Watching the game now and its not leigh..

So it's Leigh then.....

Any comparison between OUR Leigh Harding and Corey Jones is entirely coincidental.

Jones is a good tough footballer who stuffs up big time occasionally.

Leigh Harding is a footballer who stuffs up all too often and occasionally does some good things.

Re: 39. Leigh Harding

Update on his progress?

AFL website seems to think he will be back in four weeks. He would actually be a welcome addition to the forward line at present, but you would think that even if he does get back on the footy field in four weeks he would probably have to spend another four in the VFL getting match fit.

Lets suppose Turtle puts in a month in the two's and burns. If he plays to his best i think he could be a real problem for oppostion sides being picked up by probably the 5th or 6th best defender. I've never been a rap for him, but in this scenario with Grant, Edwards, Jones, Brown, and say Thomas or even Arch up forward, i could see him kicking 2 or 3 a week.

Lets suppose Turtle puts in a month in the two's and burns. If he plays to his best i think he could be a real problem for oppostion sides being picked up by probably the 5th or 6th best defender. I've never been a rap for him, but in this scenario with Grant, Edwards, Jones, Brown, and say Thomas or even Arch up forward, i could see him kicking 2 or 3 a week.

who would you drop to bring him in?

Lets suppose Turtle puts in a month in the two's and burns.

Uno momento... that's what I said in more detail in another thread.. question remains is whether his fair dinkum form warrants selection not half a gallop that means he gets a handful of kicks against a kid. I'd prefer to perservere with the youth we have. Harding would have to "BURN" with FIREHOUSE GOALS...all sirens & lights flashing WHITE hot form to merit a call up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Back