Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Is Harding the new Arnold Briedis?

• Yes, he is the new Briedis

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No, he's not the new Arnie

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • His goalkicking reminds me of the great Arnie Briedis

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • He is ruggedly handsome like Arnie!

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

- He didn't ever play the small crumbing forward role that Campbell and Thomas play. Instead he played as a small leading forward.

So then he has to displace Shagger, CJ or Azza.

Out of some sense of loyalty to the bloke, I'd like to se him play again this year if only to display his wares for the trade week or draft. And if he kicks 6 goals in a game, he may well earn another extension from us.

I really reckon, that Harding could make it back into the Seniors. A player of his speed, would struggle with the chip type footy we played last year, but with fast ball movement, and the fact that he would only get the 3rd or so best defender, he could prove an asset for us, as well as relieving a bit of pressure on Campbell, in terms of offensive pressure.

I always said Turtle was our best option because we had no other options. We have options now. That being said, I don't think Corey Jones is any better than Leigh Harding. Someone just as bad a kick and even less consistant.

Campbell, Thomas and Ross will more than likely be the smalls we go with for the future.

Just too many games where Jones or Harding contribute little to nothing. With the number of forward opportunities this year, Jones would want to be in the 44-55 goal bracket, 2 to 2.5 goals a game.

I doubt he will do it, half his games are always poor to rubbish which drag his average down. It is a lesson Edwards will need to learn, it is great to get the ball but you will be judged based on what you can do with it.

It is a lesson Edwards will need to learn, it is great to get the ball but you will be judged based on what you can do with it.

edwards sets up quite a few goals as well, he is a smart hard working player - not just a good mark. on harding, i can't see a place for him now.

edwards sets up quite a few goals as well, he is a smart hard working player - not just a good mark. on harding, i can't see a place for him now.

I think it all depends on the coach next year. A new coach would probably say goodbye to Brown, Green, Harding, Sansbury, Urch with Archer retiring as well.

And then of course depends on contractual obligations. Not sure who has got a contract out of these 5 for next year.

If laidley stayed and Harding is out of contract then I reckon he will give him 1 more injury free year to prove himself.

I always said Turtle was our best option because we had no other options. We have options now. That being said, I don't think Corey Jones is any better than Leigh Harding. Someone just as bad a kick and even less consistant.

Campbell, Thomas and Ross will more than likely be the smalls we go with for the future.

Just too many games where Jones or Harding contribute little to nothing. With the number of forward opportunities this year, Jones would want to be in the 44-55 goal bracket, 2 to 2.5 goals a game.

I doubt he will do it, half his games are always poor to rubbish which drag his average down. It is a lesson Edwards will need to learn, it is great to get the ball but you will be judged based on what you can do with it.
You're having a laugh. I have defended Harding in the past, but he is rubbish compared to Jones who is one of our most important players.

Harding won't play for us again. Jones will play at least another 100.

I hope for Leigh's sake that this knee injury has not taken away his speed, as its now a necessity for a player like him in the era of football we are in. Leigh deserves another chance in the firsts this year to see if he is worth resigning and for how long.

I hope for Leigh's sake that this knee injury has not taken away his speed, as its now a necessity for a player like him in the era of football we are in. Leigh deserves another chance in the firsts this year to see if he is worth resigning and for how long.

Yeah, I definitely reckon he's worth resigning.

Re-signing, however, I'm not so sure about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will he get back in later this year?

I still think he would be real handy on the half forward line with his pace and pressure applied by his chasing.

Maybe in the place of young Adams, who hasnt been bad either.

Thoughts?

P.S: Any word on young Callum?

I spoke to thomo 2 weeks ago and i asked him how far away is turtle and he said he should be back by round ten, Can you imagin turtle playin out of a forward pocket and the speed it is entering our forward line at the moment he would be awsome if the knee holds up.

I spoke to thomo 2 weeks ago and i asked him how far away is turtle and he said he should be back by round ten, Can you imagin turtle playin out of a forward pocket and the speed it is entering our forward line at the moment he would be awsome if the knee holds up.
No I can't imagine.

Great speed, terrible kick. Therefore fit in beautifully with NM last season, as at least he had speed. But jeez - the rest of them have learned to kick a goal in the off season. Convince me that Harding has learned that too (on crutches) and I will personally weave the welcome mat. Otherwise . . .

Great speed, terrible kick. Therefore fit in beautifully with NM last season, as at least he had speed. But jeez - the rest of them have learned to kick a goal in the off season. Convince me that Harding has learned that too (on crutches) and I will personally weave the welcome mat. Otherwise . . .

"Points" Harding is not in our best 22 anymore!

Much more than comfortably.
Harding is gone.

Disagree. Jones might be a much better all round player than Harding, but it's hardly a matter of replacing Jones. With our new long kicking style of play, I definitely see room for an inform Harding. Whether he can ever recapture top form after the reco, is another question, but if he can dominate in the VFL, I reckon he could provide the same pressure Campbell can plus he can take a grab.

Don't forget, at his best Harding puts very good defensive pressure on, which is what we're all about this year in our forward line.

Fine by me. Stats have never exactly been all that kind to Turtle. Unless we are talking goal conversion, out on the full and not making the distance stats.

Code:
Total:		Played	Goals	Behinds	Average	Accuracy
Corey Jones 	110	132	110	1.20	54.55%
Leigh Harding	89	123	94	1.38	56.68%

2007:		Played	Goals	Behinds	Average	Accuracy
Corey Jones 	7	13	8	1.9	61.91%
Leigh Harding	0	0	0	0.0	00.00%

2006:		Played	Goals	Behinds	Average	Accuracy
Corey Jones 	22	22	20	1.0	52.38%
Leigh Harding	19	22	18	1.2	55.00%

2005:		Played	Goals	Behinds	Average	Accuracy
Corey Jones 	23	38	32	1.7	54.29%
Leigh Harding	16	18	16	1.1	52.94%

2004:		Played	Goals	Behinds	Average	Accuracy
Corey Jones 	20	22	17	1.1	56.41%
Leigh Harding	12	16	13	1.3	55.17%

2003:		Played	Goals	Behinds	Average	Accuracy
Corey Jones 	19	27	22	1.4	55.10%
Leigh Harding	18	33	14	1.8	70.21%

2002:		Played	Goals	Behinds	Average	Accuracy
Corey Jones 	7	5	8	0.7	38.46%
Leigh Harding	22	33	32	1.5	50.77%

2001:		Played	Goals	Behinds	Average	Accuracy
Corey Jones 	12	5	3	0.4	62.50%
Leigh Harding	2	1	1	0.5	50.00%

I am happy for the critisism to be laid done on Harding, because he deserves it for not addressing his poor kicking over the years. But, Corey Jones is even worse.

I don't want to hear about Harding missing the easy ones because we have already seen this year Jones miss from a set shot 20m out almost dead in front. His accuracy is better this year so far, but I wouldn't want my life to be on the line with either of these two having a shot at goal.

I don't expect miracles, the smaller players are often kicking from a wider angle than key forwards so their accuracy tends to be not as good. When these guys are dead in front they are both just as shocking.

I like Jones as much as I like Harding or any of our players, I just refuse to make any favourites out of any of our players based on personal bias. If they get the job done then great, if not then I don't care who they are. I've even been critical of Archer when he has been deserving of it and he is by far my favourite player.

It just ammuses me when some "supporters" have a got at one person non-stop and love another when they have the exact same deficiencies.

Great stats there. And i agree with a point posed earlier. Leigh Harding would have much more opportunities in this years kangaroos because of our kick long mentality. Alot more crumming goal chances for Leigh. Because of our new attacking mindset (that Leigh hasn't had a chance to be part of) - Matt Campbell and Thomas have proved relatively successful in their first year.

Also, with our high inside 50 tackling rate, their are even more chance for quick crumming forwards to kick goals from throw ins or bounces.

Tas is rattling the turtle tin still. :D Gold Coin special. :p

I'm happy for JYD to give him a go IF he warrants a spot...long way to go.. Campbell would have to be a cardboard cut out for that to happen but Campbell is chasing like a mad dog, just not getting the ball... Harding would have to TURN his career on it's head for him to be entrenched in North's best 22. More a filler player like Watt ... shows we are 3-4 players open for spots. CJ >>>> Harding. CJ doesn't need to kick goals, CJ HURTS the opposition in more ways than Harding could.

Tas is rattling the turtle tin still. :D Gold Coin special. :p

I'm happy for JYD to give him a go IF he warrants a spot...long way to go.. Campbell would have to be a cardboard cut out for that to happen but Campbell is chasing like a mad dog, just not getting the ball... Harding would have to TURN his career on it's head for him to be entrenched in North's best 22. More a filler player like Watt ... shows we are 3-4 players open for spots.

No, I am not rattling his tin. I am just saying that long-term I see Corey Jones future as grim as Harding's if he can't get the job done. I hope he does but in another couple of years Campbell, Thomas and Ross could be pushing both out of the side if they can generate 2-3 goals a game and do it accurately.

CJ >>>> Harding. CJ doesn't need to kick goals, CJ HURTS the opposition in more ways than Harding could.

What a load of rubbish. He is there to kick goals. If we don't care about kicking goals just put Firrito there on the forward line, he would be far more accountable.

If CJ can't play a consistant good game then he is living on borrowed time. In too many games he is just not presenting well, not doing the basics properly. How many stuff ups did he do in the Brisbane game that almost cost us the game, botched 2 easy chest marks and missed a goal from 20m out.

It is F'ups like that which stats don't really do justice to.

I hope he turns things around and can play 15+ good games a year but so far it is has been 4 really good games a year and about 6-8 okayish games and a chock full of below par games. That is not good enough if we are going to go forwards.

Whats his possession rate V Harding?

Corey Jones does push up on the wings alot and last year was pushed back in defence.

Definately better than Harding as he can provide a better marking target.

He definitely has more possessions, he does work his way up the ground a bit but he is no good as a midfielder. If we were to have 6 top class forwards he would have no role in the middle of the ground, he either makes it as a mid-sized forward or he will end up like Makepeace.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Back