Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Is Harding the new Arnold Briedis?

• Yes, he is the new Briedis

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No, he's not the new Arnie

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • His goalkicking reminds me of the great Arnie Briedis

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • He is ruggedly handsome like Arnie!

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

All the best Turtle!

As for his highlights........

The thing which probably sets him apart is that he did/does have that extra something, unlike our typical bunch of plodders, and when you'd least expect it, he'd produce something miraculous.

That goal he kicked at the Cattery where he gained possession on the wing, sprinted forward, baulked magnificently then launched one from a tough angle, miles out at flat out pace. That to me is his greatest individual moment......................WHAT A BLOODY GOAL!!!!!!

Get well mate :thumbsu:

T'toes

Rooboy 96 said:
Even if he's contract was up for renewal... this is where our club has a great opportunity to show the playing list that we as a club stand by our men... and if that means we go into 2007 one player short so be it...

We have to make sure the playing list understands that we support them and in these times are prepared to do more then what is contractually required... these small sacrifices pay huge dividends at the other end...

All the best Turtle in a full and speedy recovery...

Agree!! :thumbsu: As one who has lead the charge on bagging Harding yes we need to stick with him give him one more playing year after his recovery lets hope it works. Good luck Turtle.

Devastating for a bloke who thinks he may have played his last game. Lets not forget that every season, dozens of players are delisted and retired. It's not called an elite sport for nothing. With the club heading south on the ladder and wearing some poor recruiting decisions, I don't think carrying him for another year is an option. If he's borderline now, add no preseason and a knee rehab and he can't get better. The club is greater than the player and we need to recruit as many kids as we can for the future. Very sad, and borderline ruthless, but it's time for him to go. To keep him on would be another mistake.

I hope that the Turtle can make it back.

If he is kept on the list next year we will not be one short as a rookie can be elevated and Harding goes on the long term injured list.

I think it will be good for the rookies from next year in that they will have the knowledge that a big pre season may get them on to the senior list.

BEST OF LUCK TO TURTLE. Anyone wishing anything else is a disgrace.

Terrible and devastating news, really feel for the guy.

Wish Turtle all the best and hope his recovery goes well.

I was at training & was just saying to my mate that it seemed to be a quite aggressive full-contact drill they were doing, especially before the last game of the season. Then Turtle got crunched by one of the big fellas - not certain, but it may have been Moran. And poor old Turtle was shattered all the way back - knew straight away it was bad.

Otherwise Jesse Smith was looking great & moving well, & Wells is clearly injured - basically stuck with Grima & Urch doing v. light training. Possibly could've been rested, but I get the feeling he has not been 100% for a while.

Rooboy 96 said:
Even if he's contract was up for renewal... this is where our club has a great opportunity to show the playing list that we as a club stand by our men... and if that means we go into 2007 one player short so be it...

We went into 2006 season three players short so this will be an improvement.

sbdan said:
Otherwise Jesse Smith was looking great & moving well, & Wells is clearly injured - basically stuck with Grima & Urch doing v. light training. Possibly could've been rested, but I get the feeling he has not been 100% for a while.

Bewildering why he is playing if he trains with the long term injured group.

pharro said:
We went into 2006 season three players short so this will be an improvement.

:confused: Pharro your almost sounding like a Doggies supporter we went into 2006 with 0 proven players on the injury list we lost Arch mid season and have had a good run with injuries. Sure Hutch and JS may have made inroads into the seniors but you cant count them as being in our top 22 yet

King Corey said:
I'm an unabashed Turtle fan, upset to hear of his bad luck.

Love the way he plays. Yes I know he's inconsistent but it's more just slipping out of games for reasons we don't understand.

He's hard at the ball, marks it beautifully and can impact. Give me 10 Turtles to 1 ****ter Brown thanks.

Hope they retain him, could see him getting us in front for a flag one day. Laugh at me if you will, I will be right if he is given the chance.

I see your point if he was indig we would aclaim him like davey

Bad luck to Turtle.Could have been another Allison if only he could have kicked straight.So what will the club do?
1.Keep him on the list
2.Pay him out on his last year
3 Put him on the long term injury list and promote a rookie

bretho said:
:confused: Pharro your almost sounding like a Doggies supporter we went into 2006 with 0 proven players on the injury list we lost Arch mid season and have had a good run with injuries. Sure Hutch and JS may have made inroads into the seniors but you cant count them as being in our top 22 yet

Not relevant to the discussion - someone saying we could be one short of the full compliment on the list and clearly we were 3 short in 2006 regardless of whether these 3 would have made the top 22. You forget Powell. Again, don't care if he was up to standard or not. And I'm making no excuses, wouldn't have changed a thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nevbuster said:
Devastating for a bloke who thinks he may have played his last game. Lets not forget that every season, dozens of players are delisted and retired. It's not called an elite sport for nothing. With the club heading south on the ladder and wearing some poor recruiting decisions, I don't think carrying him for another year is an option. If he's borderline now, add no preseason and a knee rehab and he can't get better. The club is greater than the player and we need to recruit as many kids as we can for the future. Very sad, and borderline ruthless, but it's time for him to go. To keep him on would be another mistake.

hey you can swap Harding for the 78th player in the draft if you want... but don't expect your players to put their bodies on the line for the club...

This sought of short sightedness is why the Mighty Essendon of 2000 are where they are today... and why they as a club have tried for the past 3 years to prove to the playing squad they have some type of compassion...

Michele said:
The title of the thread is a joke. Surely!

Turtle has been bagged throughout this season.
... and rightfully so. But now is a time where all that should be forgotten and best regards given to Leigh in what must be an awful time for him and his family.

scottywiper said:
For all the criticism he cops, I can remember some Turtle magic.

IIRC, he kicked the winning goal in the McCartney match.
He kicked the sealer from near the boundary in Colbert's 200th at Subiaco Oval.
His torpy against Essendon last year.

I thought McCartney kicked the winner in his last game.

Very bad luck for Harding but really, without wanting to kick the man while he's down, you can just about count on one hand the really good games he has played. His performance against Essendon this year was one of his best. And I think he kicked a bag against Geelong a few years ago IIRC. But this is overshadowed by the dropped marks, the missed set shots and the non-chasing and non-tackling we've all had to put up with. This might be the end for Harding.

I remember a Collingwood mate bagging me about North back in 2000 or 2001 about we had no kids coming through etc etc, and the 2 names I put forward were Harding and Petrie, always had a soft spot for Harding, and as Shintemaster has said the bonecrunching tackle on Hird last year is my highlight, loved to see it live at an Essendon home game, he has always promised but never always delivered, I hope he makes it back, as for Drew well he has made it as well.

CR7 said:
Oh Michelle, when will you open your other eye? :)

Will you be lining up for finals tickets? ;)

Oh that's right. Geelong were premiership favourites in the beginning of the year. Perennial. A little bit like Richmond finishing in the 8. But 9th is good too.

Throughout the year, I have read posts on this forum bagging x number of players, Turtle in particular. Now that he has done an AC joint and will be out for at least a year, there is a belated concern for his welfare. Phooey!

Some idiot also went so far as to say 'there goes our trade bait'.

May I remind these MORONS, they are supporters.

I they don't want to support a team, let them go and play tindly winks

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #39: Leigh Harding - selected with #13 in 2000 RD - retired at end of 2010 season - coaches at BL

Back