Player Watch #39 Mate Colina

Remove this Banner Ad

The tallest man alive is a running machine. He said it. Hartley said it. Bounceball watchers said it. The only one not saying it is you. Now you are trying to reverse the onus of proof onto others when you are the man making the rash statements. So where are your precise times and distances? He ran a 5 minute mile. You couldn't run a 5 minute mile down a well. There is your time, there is your distance. What do you have Tiger Impersonator?
Since you’re so rude and childish in not addressing me by my Username then I will address you as Morning Rise.
The reason being bc it’s the sensation your genitalia experiences and transform into when you wake up to the poster on your bedroom wall of Mate Colina running THE TAN in his black tight Warwick Capper shorts. 😂

Since you’re so rude and childish in not addressing me by my Username then I will address you as Morning Rise.
The reason being bc it’s the sensation your genitalia experiences and transform into when you wake up to the poster on your bedroom wall of Mate Colina running THE TAN in his black tight Warwick Capper shorts. 😂

It is an absolute fact I am excited by the tallest man alive. Probably not in that way though. However, it is a shame a 7 foot tall man who runs like Archy Hamilton gives you brewer's droop Impersonator. :tearsofjoy:

giphy.gif

Is he the tallest man alive? Again where is your evidence? I’m calling you out for nonsense and fabrication of bull s**t. Where are the exact times and data?
You’re being a gullible person and are using bull dust to live your dreams and fantasies. Again so how does running a 5 min or Sub 5min or 5:01sec to 5min59sec mile make him a good footballer? Unless you can prove this then you’re wasting everyone’s time and cyberspace with your childish nonsense. I thought you were a grown man or are you Benjamin Button and anti-aging at a rate of five years every calendar month?

Nobody can prove Mate Colina will or won't be a good footballer. We are here to find out what he can do.

But my posts about his running ability are in response to your posts expressing high anxiety about the running ability of all the players he beat. Remember? What do you base that anxiety upon? My guess is you base it upon your pre-conceived wrong idea that Colina is the tallest player ever to be on an AFL list therefore cannot be a good runner.

What say you?

It is an absolute fact I am excited by the tallest man alive. Probably not in that way though. However, it is a shame a 7 foot tall man who runs like Archy Hamilton gives you brewer's droop Impersonator. :tearsofjoy:

giphy.gif
So no facts and as usual just the same old bull dust? Again is this the Richmond Athletics club and how does his running ability (in which i have no statistical data on) extrapolate into his football ability? Your logic is so childish and expecting me to be so excited by all of this is bewildering. I'll only be excited if his football ability and skills improve to the levels of an acceptable AFL player as many great runners have not gone on to be AFL standard footballers. I'm not responding to anymore of your posts unless you can provide evidence of all his times and comparisons to past results and then the reasons on how and why this will improve his football ability. You can put up childish gifs and make immature remarks , but this is a blight on you as a person.
Also you mentioned earlier another personal and immature remark about me running 5min mile and blah blah blah, but again this has nothing to do with me as i'm not the player in question here. You would probably find the majority of the population are incapable of this, but still it has no relevance to the topic except for more immature personal attacks.

Nobody can prove Mate Colina will or won't be a good footballer. We are here to find out what he can do.

But my posts about his running ability are in response to your posts expressing high anxiety about the running ability of all the players he beat. Remember? What do you base that anxiety upon? My guess is you base it upon your pre-conceived wrong idea that Colina is the tallest player ever to be on an AFL list therefore cannot be a good runner.

What say you?
FMD I can't believe I read this.lol

So no facts and as usual just the same old bull dust? Again is this the Richmond Athletics club and how does his running ability (in which i have no statistical data on) extrapolate into his football ability? Your logic is so childish and expecting me to be so excited by all of this is bewildering. I'll only be excited if his football ability and skills improve to the levels of an acceptable AFL player as many great runners have not gone on to be AFL standard footballers. I'm not responding to anymore of your posts unless you can provide evidence of all his times and comparisons to past results and then the reasons on how and why this will improve his football ability. You can put up childish gifs and make immature remarks , but this is a blight on you as a person.
Also you mentioned earlier another personal and immature remark about me running 5min mile and blah blah blah, but again this has nothing to do with me as i'm not the player in question here. You would probably find the majority of the population are incapable of this, but still it has no relevance to the topic except for more immature personal attacks.

You seem to be taking the jovial parts of my posts seriously.

Where are we with this?

Mate Colina

Football ceiling: Nobody knows, not even insiders.

Height: Tallest man ever to be on an AFL list.

Running ability: Very good for such a tall player.

Football performance: generally poor in a handful of VFL games off a totally unsuitable preparation. Let's see what he can do off a full pre-season.

Professionalism: reports and signs are so far very good.

Cost to the club of having Colina as a cat B rookie: Next to nothing.

What part of any of that do you actually disagree with TI?

You seem to be taking the jovial parts of my posts seriously.

Where are we with this?

Mate Colina

Football ceiling: Nobody knows, not even insiders.

Height: Tallest man ever to be on an AFL list.

Running ability: Very good for such a tall player.

Football performance: generally poor in a handful of VFL games off a totally unsuitable preparation. Let's see what he can do off a full pre-season.

Professionalism: reports and signs are so far very good.

Cost to the club of having Colina as a cat B rookie: Next to nothing.

What part of any of that do you actually disagree with TI?
Good to see that you’re actually recognising his football abilities at this stage. As mentioned previously running capacity equates to nothing in football if you lack skills. He does cost us a lot including a list spot and development time as it could take years before we gain something back if anything at all.
Professionalism needs to be there bc he obviously isn’t a basketballer of any note or a track and field athlete so this is his last roll of the dice to achieve something in sports.
FWIW I hope he can make it as he’s a Tiger after all, but I’m not holding my breath as he’s miles away atm.

Good to see that you’re actually recognising his football abilities at this stage. As mentioned previously running capacity equates to nothing in football if you lack skills. He does cost us a lot including a list spot and development time as it could take years before we gain something back if anything at all.
Professionalism needs to be there bc he obviously isn’t a basketballer of any note or a track and field athlete so this is his last roll of the dice to achieve something in sports.
FWIW I hope he can make it as he’s a Tiger after all, but I’m not holding my breath as he’s miles away atm.

Where you seem to differ from most on here is we think it is worth Richmond taking a punt on a guy like this, and you don't. We already got one flag and 2 round 2 picks out of Soldo, our last similar punt. Mate Colina starts from at absolute worst a similar skill base, is 3-4 inches taller and a better runner than Soldo. So I am struggling to see what all your anxiety is about him being on the Richmond list. Give the bloke a chance. He possesses an extremely rare mixture of height and running ability. If he makes it, he will be a huge point of difference. If that is not worth taking a punt on with a Cat B rookie spot then I am missing something.

Where you seem to differ from most on here is we think it is worth Richmond taking a punt on a guy like this, and you don't. We already got one flag and 2 round 2 picks out of Soldo, our last similar punt. Mate Colina starts from at absolute worst a similar skill base, is 3-4 inches taller and a better runner than Soldo. So I am struggling to see what all your anxiety is about him being on the Richmond list. Give the bloke a chance. He possesses an extremely rare mixture of height and running ability. If he makes it, he will be a huge point of difference. If that is not worth taking a punt on with a Cat B rookie spot then I am missing something.
There’s no anxiety so stop gaslighting
Soldo was in a better situation than Colina as he had Ivan beside him as a mentor. Soldo argument is Straw man logic as it makes the generalization that bc player A becomes successful then all similar players in the future should make it. We all know this is wrong bc no player would ever be delisted. lol . As I said I have low expectations, but I hope he makes it even if it is just as a vFL player

Last edited:
There’s no anxiety so stop gaslighting
Soldo was in a better situation than Colina as he had Ivan beside him as a mentor. Soldo argument is Straw man logic as it makes the generalization that bc player A becomes successful then all similar players in the future should make it. We all know this is wrong bc no player would ever be delisted. lol . As I said I have low expectations, but I hope he makes it even if it is just as a vFL player

So by your logic we should apply the law of averages and say Soldo made it although it was unlikely, so we should never do anything similar again?

From where I sit, if something works, you keep doing it until it doesn't work, then you reassess. You have me bemused here. Why would the club not have a crack with Colina? This is crazy talk from you TI, and it doesn't become any less crazy if he doesn't make it.

What are we supposed to do, see confirmation he is a good runner and try to locate some reason why that is a bad thing?

So by your logic we should apply the law of averages and say Soldo made it although it was unlikely, so we should never do anything similar again?

From where I sit, if something works, you keep doing it until it doesn't work, then you reassess. You have me bemused here. Why would the club not have a crack with Colina? This is crazy talk from you TI, and it doesn't become any less crazy if he doesn't make it.

What are we supposed to do, see confirmation he is a good runner and try to locate some reason why that is a bad thing?
No that's what your thinking.lol As i said he's got a low probability of making it and is a long project at best. You are unable to decipher what I'm saying and continue to put your thoughts on what I'm thinking. You are just hedging your bets each way here trying to cover your gaslighting. Read clearly what I'm quoting you on and try and see my logic rather than adding what you think. All i said was if player x makes it through a system then it doesn't necessarily mean players with similar backgrounds will. If this was true then no players would be delisted and most would retire with 200 plus games under their belt avoiding injuries of course. Soldo was introduced by you trying to make comparisons at similar stages which was nonsense at best. The player in question here is Colina and you're basing him making it on his elite running capacity which to this stage i have little evidence of as no data of significance has been presented. It's pretty simple bc unless he's in our wheelchair team then running is just one basic prerequisite as everybody at this level is expected to be able to run. Being an elite runner doesn't necessarily mean he's going to make it as many players with this trait have fallen by the sword bc of their skills. The point which you're well aware of is his football skills are well below standard and the million dollar question is he able to improve them to an AFL standard? I have my doubts at this stage on what I've seen and that's my opinion and you're entitled to have yours.

No that's what your thinking.lol As i said he's got a low probability of making it and is a long project at best. You are unable to decipher what I'm saying and continue to put your thoughts on what I'm thinking. You are just hedging your bets each way here trying to cover your gaslighting. Read clearly what I'm quoting you on and try and see my logic rather than adding what you think. All i said was if player x makes it through a system then it doesn't necessarily mean players with similar backgrounds will. If this was true then no players would be delisted and most would retire with 200 plus games under their belt avoiding injuries of course. Soldo was introduced by you trying to make comparisons at similar stages which was nonsense at best. The player in question here is Colina and you're basing him making it on his elite running capacity which to this stage i have little evidence of as no data of significance has been presented. It's pretty simple bc unless he's in our wheelchair team then running is just one basic prerequisite as everybody at this level is expected to be able to run. Being an elite runner doesn't necessarily mean he's going to make it as many players with this trait have fallen by the sword bc of their skills. The point which you're well aware of is his football skills are well below standard and the million dollar question is he able to improve them to an AFL standard? I have my doubts at this stage on what I've seen and that's my opinion and you're entitled to have yours.

You are saying nothing by saying Colina is unlikely to make it. Even the club recruiters would know that. But there are definitely precedents to him making it, and this is why it is worth giving him a chance to see what he can do. Mike Pyke was a rugby player, and was Preuss. Soldo a soccer player and Mason Cox a basketball player. I know for an absolute fact the skills of Cox, Pyke and Soldo were very shaky to start with. They all played in Premiership teams. Jim Stynes won a Brownlow. Most of these guys were not top end talents in their original sports, so that means nothing.

You(and I) have only ever seen Colina play a few off a completely unsuitable preparation. Of course his skills were no good. I played footy almost every year from 9 to 35yo. My skills were I think very sound at my level. But when I tried to apply those skills in training drills or a casual kick 5 or 10 years after stopping training and playing, I found great difficulty. It is not a sport you can just walk up and play. Colina wasn't playing to prove how good he is, he was merely playing to get a taste of it before going into proper preparation.

It seems pointless explaining any of this to you because you seem to have decided he can't play after watching him kick a couple of out on the fulls from just outside the goal square.

I am not making any predictions about Colina, that is you. If I am sitting on the fence it is because I don't have sufficient evidence to make any definitive statement with confidence. Colina has one thing you cannot coach into a player - height. It is really obvious he can run and this was even obvious at times if you watched him play in the VFL. He seems to have the desire required to do well. It was also obvious watching him play that he is sufficiently vigorous. Skills, ability to understand game plans, durability, these things cannot be known at this stage. Let's see the guy off a good pre-season, he will be a fascinating watch.

You are saying nothing by saying Colina is unlikely to make it. Even the club recruiters would know that. But there are definitely precedents to him making it, and this is why it is worth giving him a chance to see what he can do. Mike Pyke was a rugby player, and was Preuss. Soldo a soccer player and Mason Cox a basketball player. I know for an absolute fact the skills of Cox, Pyke and Soldo were very shaky to start with. They all played in Premiership teams. Jim Stynes won a Brownlow. Most of these guys were not top end talents in their original sports, so that means nothing.

You(and I) have only ever seen Colina play a few off a completely unsuitable preparation. Of course his skills were no good. I played footy almost every year from 9 to 35yo. My skills were I think very sound at my level. But when I tried to apply those skills in training drills or a casual kick 5 or 10 years after stopping training and playing, I found great difficulty. It is not a sport you can just walk up and play. Colina wasn't playing to prove how good he is, he was merely playing to get a taste of it before going into proper preparation.

It seems pointless explaining any of this to you because you seem to have decided he can't play after watching him kick a couple of out on the fulls from just outside the goal square.

I am not making any predictions about Colina, that is you. If I am sitting on the fence it is because I don't have sufficient evidence to make any definitive statement with confidence. Colina has one thing you cannot coach into a player - height. It is really obvious he can run and this was even obvious at times if you watched him play in the VFL. He seems to have the desire required to do well. It was also obvious watching him play that he is sufficiently vigorous. Skills, ability to understand game plans, durability, these things cannot be known at this stage. Let's see the guy off a good pre-season, he will be a fascinating watch.
Stick to the topic as I’m not interested in all of your trivial add ons to the conversation especially your undecorated football history. Again you’re trying to predict what I’m thinking and ignoring what I’m saying. I haven’t really predicted anything, but stated he has a low probability of making based on what I’ve seen and to my astonishment you’re now echoing this I haven’t ruled him out entirely and you need to read and comprehend what I’m trying to tell you.
Move on as you’re now stuck in the cycle of repetitive nonsense and now at the phase of contradicting yourself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stick to the topic as I’m not interested in all of your trivial add ons to the conversation especially your undecorated football history. Again you’re trying to predict what I’m thinking and ignoring what I’m saying. I haven’t really predicted anything, but stated he has a low probability of making based on what I’ve seen and to my astonishment you’re now echoing this I haven’t ruled him out entirely and you need to read and comprehend what I’m trying to tell you.
Move on as you’re now stuck in the cycle of repetitive nonsense and now at the phase of contradicting yourself.

Harsh mate, I was merely trying to explain why I believe Colina's skill ceiling cannot be judged by what you saw of him in the VFL so far.

Am I missing something here? Are you not saying you don't believe Colina is worth his list spot as a Cat B rookie?

Harsh mate, I was merely trying to explain why I believe Colina's skill ceiling cannot be judged by what you saw of him in the VFL so far.

Am I missing something here? Are you not saying you don't believe Colina is worth his list spot as a Cat B rookie?
He’s a project atm and let’s follow his progress and see where he’s at by mid season

He can’t play football that’s the problem.So the amount of preparation is irrelevant. Move on there’s nothing for the eyes to see.
Oh and you can you *******? That's why your on here giving shit to a player who mind you hasnt played in around 10 years. Give the bloke time and you will be suprised. As for yourself, doubt you made anything out of your footy career so id stick to trying to hit the side of a barn door with a footy before having a go at others.

Oh and you can you *******? That's why your on here giving s**t to a player who mind you hasnt played in around 10 years. Give the bloke time and you will be suprised. As for yourself, doubt you made anything out of your footy career so id stick to trying to hit the side of a barn door with a footy before having a go at others.
Are you lost ?

Are you lost ?
Clearly but his narrative is pretty well spot on. So many posters potting players unnecessarily.
Colina hasn’t had even a small chance to prove anything yet, he’s a Cat B rookie for a reason and deserves time to prove if he’s up to it.

Oh and you can you *******? That's why your on here giving s**t to a player who mind you hasnt played in around 10 years. Give the bloke time and you will be suprised. As for yourself, doubt you made anything out of your footy career so id stick to trying to hit the side of a barn door with a footy before having a go at others.
What is your relationship with Mate?

By all reports he's flying so far in pre-season which is a nice surprise. Apparently beat the Crayfish in the 2km comfortably so he can obviously run. Now we need to see if he can play football.

Clearly but his narrative is pretty well spot on. So many posters potting players unnecessarily.
Colina hasn’t had even a small chance to prove anything yet, he’s a Cat B rookie for a reason and deserves time to prove if he’s up to it.
Agreed but dont need a burner account to tell our long standing members what to do or where to go

Mate' is a cat B Rookie and they are always project players that cost nothing in list spots and worth having a free hit
by the sounds of whats coming out of the training reports he seems to be over the back issue's and training well and looks like having a good preseason and lets see what happens in 24' and judge accordingly

213cm 110kgs giants dont grow on tree's and if it comes off then the upside is massive with Ryan/Colina combo
worth anothe 2 seasons for me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back