Player Watch #4 Brodie Grundy

Remove this Banner Ad

Grundy 2.jpg

Player Profile:

Experienced ruckman Brodie Grundy joined the red and white after selection in the 2023 AFL Draft Trade Period. The two-time All Australian arrives having played 194 games across Collingwood and Melbourne and after debuting for Magpies in 2013 has gone on to feature in four finals campaigns, including the 2018 Grand Final. The 29-year-old, who cites Dean Cox as his football icon, will bolster a young side of ruckman in Lachlan McAndrew and Will Green.

DOB: 15/04/1994
Draft: 2012
Recruited From: Melbourne FC

Last edited:

There were a couple of moments that reminded me so much of Hawkins manhandling us in the first quarter of the 22 GF, but of course with the jumpers swapped.

Whatever we do - we have to keep him fit. Even if it is sacrificing a couple of wins late on in the season if top 2 is sewn up. We can still win the flag without him on the big day if we make it, but by gee it looks a very different task then if he is there.
Agree. His absence would leave the biggest hole of any single player. I watched 3/4 of the Ressies today and Ladhams isn't within a bull's roar. Others might be felt but could be covered better.

Agree. His absence would leave the biggest hole of any single player. I watched 3/4 of the Ressies today and Ladhams isn't within a bull's roar. Others might be felt but could be covered better.
Ladhams I thought played okay, but only just that. He and Mclean would compete in the ruck, but we would lose so much around the ground without Grundy giving us first use. Our midfield may well be good enough to compensate to still win a lot of footy games, but it would put an entirely different complexion on things very quickly.

Grundy started slow, beaten by Stanley In the first, but once he got going that was one of the most influential performances from a ruck in a long time.

He's right in AA contention now
I think we could say that about 90% of the team!

JJ has been really solid and consistent. His second quarter today was huge. But Grundy is miles in front. Not just his play but his contribution to the team.
Yes but Grundy was a AA Ruck and was poorly treated by 2 clubs, JJ was also poorly managed for the Demons last year.

No clear role for them but a very specific roles for us.

I am not saying they are the same but both or running at 9.5/10 for their roles.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

I like that we keep hearing about what a calming presence he is during games, in meetings and such. Feel like that's the ideal sort of personality needed for a younger group, particularly in games like yesterday and the Carlton one where we're seriously challenged early on.

I like that we keep hearing about what a calming presence he is during games, in meetings and such. Feel like that's the ideal sort of personality needed for a younger group, particularly in games like yesterday and the Carlton one where we're seriously challenged early on.

i like that it seems as though warner (in particular), gulden, heeney, rowbottom, et al are doing whatever they want on the field, while almost taunting opponents with "yeah? touch me and i'll get me big brother onto ya!", and nodding in grundy's direction

I think this is one of those really nice 'but wait there's more' elements to Grundy that is having a massive influence on the playing group. There seems to be an immense lack of panic when things aren't going well, especially with these slow starts. It is clear that Grundy is a great influence around the club, and it has to be similar on the field too. I suspect at the moment (Without Parker and Mills there especially) it is him that helps the boys 'settle and reset' - I don't think it is all a coincidence that we've seen more than once a case of it just taking a couple of good moments to 'ignite' the midfield and off we go. I suspect a lot of the messaging is framed around 'just keep at it - our moment will come, just need to stop the momentum'.

I think this is one of those really nice 'but wait there's more' elements to Grundy that is having a massive influence on the playing group. There seems to be an immense lack of panic when things aren't going well, especially with these slow starts. It is clear that Grundy is a great influence around the club, and it has to be similar on the field too. I suspect at the moment (Without Parker and Mills there especially) it is him that helps the boys 'settle and reset' - I don't think it is all a coincidence that we've seen more than once a case of it just taking a couple of good moments to 'ignite' the midfield and off we go. I suspect a lot of the messaging is framed around 'just keep at it - our moment will come, just need to stop the momentum'.

yes, he seems to be a huge, mature influence on the playing group, and he leads by example ... when he lifted on sunday, the team lifted with and around him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they pick two rucks he's in, they sometimes don't hope they do this year
You would have to think he's a huge chance.
Maybe I have blinkers on and I must admit to not having watched many other teams this year, but so far he's been the best I've seen and I don't recall him really getting beaten in any game.

You would have to think he's a huge chance.
Maybe I have blinkers on and I must admit to not having watched many other teams this year, but so far he's been the best I've seen and I don't recall him really getting beaten in any game.

It's Grundy or Gawn, I'd pick both but they sometimes just pick 1 and that's fine. If you are looking for a 'realistic' team both are 80% plus on field rucks. Not fussed if they do only pick Gawn, but they should pick both personally. Just watch them try and put some mid they couldn't put on the field on the bench.

It's Grundy or Gawn, I'd pick both but they sometimes just pick 1 and that's fine. If you are looking for a 'realistic' team both are 80% plus on field rucks. Not fussed if they do only pick Gawn, but they should pick both personally. Just watch them try and put some mid they couldn't put on the field on the bench.

Gawn might get votes for wheeling out in front of the media to cop the questioning for the other muppets he carries.

I know I’m a massive Heeney fan but geez that peanut Scott cost Brody coaches votes. After a performance like that he only polls 2 !

Rucks have to be out of this world good to poll well. The three mids were always going to poll heavily

Here's the video of the "Dyl & Friends" podcast

It's a long chat with relatively low footy content (which could be a plus or a minus depending on how you feel). Naturally there are some interesting bits but overall feel like you can afford to miss this. Better to watch the Tom Harley interview instead.

It's a long chat with relatively low footy content (which could be a plus or a minus depending on how you feel). Naturally there are some interesting bits but overall feel like you can afford to miss this. Better to watch the Tom Harley interview instead.
I like it, found it interesting on how being close to home and not moving impacted on his decision to go with Melbourne and I got the feeling he sort of regrets that now. Not being as open to change as he perhaps thought he should have been.

Nothing earth shattering but I found it an interesting read.
His Collingwood, Melbourne journey takes up a fair bit of the article.

Always seems like an honest guy, who sees life as more than football, but nonetheless recognises the importance of football in his life.

Got an insight into the Swans from way back in the AIS/AFL academy;

"When I came into the AFL, I was heavily influenced by Michael O'Loughlin, Brett Kirk, (and) Tom Harley was my mentor in the AIS AFL Academy. Matthew Lloyd was in that as well, but largely it was like a miniature Swans academy when I look back.

"The central theme of that program was all about creating good people, and if you happened to be a good football player … that was just an extra bonus. It was very strong on having good character and representing yourself, your family and the game in a high regard."

The article also mentions our young guys' 'swagger' and how they are enjoying and embracing the journey and supporting one another on and off field.

It just seems like a great mix at present, with the club in a good place and hopefully set for good times going forward. :thumbsu:

Without reading that article it appears to be very much based on the interview with Dyl.

Having seen Horse's presser from yesterday, it's clear Horse is absolutely loving Grundy and having him in the team.

1. Any time Horse describes someone as "a real competitor" you know Horse loves him. Is there any quality that Horse values higher? Possibly, having a pulse and two legs but not much else.

2. Horse has been dying for an elite ruck the whole time he's been senior coach and (no disrespect to Mummy as he was when we had him, or Pyke or Hickey et al) this is the first time he's had one. And he's LOVING IT. I can just imagine him behind the scenes saying to the list managers and match committee "see guys, this is what I was saying all along! a top class ruck is everything!" Meanwhile they're rolling their eyes and thinking thoughts like "yeah, it's got nothing to do with Heeney/Errol/Chad" and "like, you think we weren't trying!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Brodie Grundy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back