Player Watch #4 Brodie Grundy

Remove this Banner Ad

Grundy 2.jpg

Player Profile:

Experienced ruckman Brodie Grundy joined the red and white after selection in the 2023 AFL Draft Trade Period. The two-time All Australian arrives having played 194 games across Collingwood and Melbourne and after debuting for Magpies in 2013 has gone on to feature in four finals campaigns, including the 2018 Grand Final. The 29-year-old, who cites Dean Cox as his football icon, will bolster a young side of ruckman in Lachlan McAndrew and Will Green.

DOB: 15/04/1994
Draft: 2012
Recruited From: Melbourne FC

Last edited:

Without reading that article it appears to be very much based on the interview with Dyl.

Having seen Horse's presser from yesterday, it's clear Horse is absolutely loving Grundy and having him in the team.

1. Any time Horse describes someone as "a real competitor" you know Horse loves him. Is there any quality that Horse values higher? Possibly, having a pulse and two legs but not much else.

2. Horse has been dying for an elite ruck the whole time he's been senior coach and (no disrespect to Mummy as he was when we had him, or Pyke or Hickey et al) this is the first time he's had one. And he's LOVING IT. I can just imagine him behind the scenes saying to the list managers and match committee "see guys, this is what I was saying all along! a top class ruck is everything!" Meanwhile they're rolling their eyes and thinking thoughts like "yeah, it's got nothing to do with Heeney/Errol/Chad" and "like, you think we weren't trying!"
Haha yes, the admiration in that presser was clear to see re: Grundy. Its nice to see a potential Ferrari midfield being able to work off the service of a Ferrari Ruck. That is no disrespect to any of those guys you've mentioned. It is the second and third and fourth efforts of Grundy that are most important. Once he gets going in a game he rarely gets 'smashed' in any individual ruck contest - but when he does lose it, you know he will be following up like an extra midfielder to make amends.

Grundy's been fascinating to watch in how he's gone about it this year. He's 2nd at the Swans for total first possessions this year, yet only 9th at the Swans for % of his first possessions won at centre bounces.

When I saw that pattern I thought the disparity between his centre bounce work and stoppage work seemed strange. Since then I've watched him pretty closely and realised he's actually going with two very distinct, deliberate approaches between the two.

At centre bounces with the 6-6-6 rule in place, he seems only interested in tapping to the mids' advantage, knocking it down to space for the mids to run onto. But at stoppages around the ground, with more pressure and congestion, he's taking the ball out of the contest and clearing it himself.

I think that versatility and ability to adapt to what our game needs depending on the scenario is so impressive. I think the debate between old-school rucks who know their place and just do tap-work vs rucks who play like extra mids is an interesting one, but Grundy's almost giving both sides what they want, all at once!

Grundy's been fascinating to watch in how he's gone about it this year. He's 2nd at the Swans for total first possessions this year, yet only 9th at the Swans for % of his first possessions won at centre bounces.

When I saw that pattern I thought the disparity between his centre bounce work and stoppage work seemed strange. Since then I've watched him pretty closely and realised he's actually going with two very distinct, deliberate approaches between the two.

At centre bounces with the 6-6-6 rule in place, he seems only interested in tapping to the mids' advantage, knocking it down to space for the mids to run onto. But at stoppages around the ground, with more pressure and congestion, he's taking the ball out of the contest and clearing it himself.

I think that versatility and ability to adapt to what our game needs depending on the scenario is so impressive. I think the debate between old-school rucks who know their place and just do tap-work vs rucks who play like extra mids is an interesting one, but Grundy's almost giving both sides what they want, all at once!

yeah, i thought i'd noticed that too ... he definitely seems to know when to become that "extra mid" around the ground, which is not as important at the structure of a centre bounce
yet he still gets involved in any contest in the centre if the ball isn't immediately cleared, and in particular is able to lay tackles and impose himself
he is making an immense difference ... and i maintain he and the team are still improving as they get more familiar with each other

The other key part of his game is willingness to 'change it up' if it hasn't worked early. Done it a few times - almost a bit like the broader team, where we've started slowly before working out the opponent and adapting tactics for the rest of the game.

Gawn will unfortunately win AA purely on his name. I’m not saying he’s not having a great season, and maybe he’ll finish having the better season, but if the two are close at the end it’ll go to Gawn.

You can see it with the comments online. "Gawn then daylight" and other similar remarks when it’s not even remotely true. Grundy impacts our game more than Gawn impacts Melbourne’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gawn will unfortunately win AA purely on his name. I’m not saying he’s not having a great season, and maybe he’ll finish having the better season, but if the two are close at the end it’ll go to Gawn.

You can see it with the comments online. "Gawn then daylight" and other similar remarks when it’s not even remotely true. Grundy impacts our game more than Gawn impacts Melbourne’s.

And head to head Grundy beat Max.

Not sure I agree, Gawn is a huge cog in the Melbourne team.

Getting a very good player cheap then "we'll make it work". Really poor due diligence.
We've heard from Grundy on his reasons.
I love the fact that he owned the decision to go to Melbourne - saying it was the easy choice. He didn't give any of the BS about a great opportunity, thought he could make them better yadda, yadda, he said straight up he made the easy choice.
I wonder if he would be the player he has been this year, without the move to Melbourne? I mean everyone knew he was a quality ruck, but being honest, it's a good four + years since he's shown the form he's showing this year and I wonder if the past few years have incentivised and reinvigorated him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the fact that he owned the decision to go to Melbourne - saying it was the easy choice. He didn't give any of the BS about a great opportunity, thought he could make them better yadda, yadda, he said straight up he made the easy choice.
I wonder if he would be the player he has been this year, without the move to Melbourne? I mean everyone knew he was a quality ruck, but being honest, it's a good four + years since he's shown the form he's showing this year and I wonder if the past few years have incentivised and reinvigorated him.
Swans and Grundy are the perfect pairing at the perfect time.

Our social media team must love him - with very good reason, of course.
He's the best. He really knows the social media game. I reckon we've got a couple of thousand new members through his work alone. It makes the club so much more relatable how he makes other players accessible. Just brings life to the club.

Demons stuffed up big time. He's undoubtedly the recruit of the year. On and off the field. (props also to Jordon)

Exactly right Jewels and I think he kinda refers to that in so far as the entire experience has helped him understand the journey many players go on where he had had a very smooth ride.
He's also said that it reignited his hunger to be the big dog (my words) and we're getting the benefit.
He's absolutely loving it. It's written all over his face and body language. A club that matches his personal values, a job that fulfils him, a life outside work that provides most of what he wants. What's not to like?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Brodie Grundy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back