Player Watch #4 Brodie Grundy

Remove this Banner Ad

Grundy 2.jpg

Player Profile:

Experienced ruckman Brodie Grundy joined the red and white after selection in the 2023 AFL Draft Trade Period. The two-time All Australian arrives having played 194 games across Collingwood and Melbourne and after debuting for Magpies in 2013 has gone on to feature in four finals campaigns, including the 2018 Grand Final. The 29-year-old, who cites Dean Cox as his football icon, will bolster a young side of ruckman in Lachlan McAndrew and Will Green.

DOB: 15/04/1994
Draft: 2012
Recruited From: Melbourne FC

Last edited:

If you haven't seen this worth checking out. Ex-Melbourne ruck Jeff White breaks down how the Lions dominated the center bounces in the 2nd quarter. The point I found really interesting was that the Lions knew Grundy prefers to hit the ball to a certain area and hence were set up to counter this.

I think it's a bit harsh to just point it to Grundy, when this analysis would suggest the Brisbane mids were better structured (and coached?) than ours.

Out coached once again in a big game. But why weren’t they onto it immediately in the coaches box & where were our leaders? No plan B. No onfield leaders.

A coach playing a system that died when the 6 6 6 was introduced, disabling our ability to halt an opponent’s momentum, thus stopping the 6 or 7 unanswered goals. It was born in our two years of missed finals. Where every was lovey Dover with Horse in the lockdowns.

Adams may not have been at his best but he would have brought some resistance at the contest with a ruckman he knows inside out & against a ruckman playing his first game in 20 or so weeks. The vulnerable midfield should have been the Lions.
Our coaches showed them.

Out coached once again in a big game. But why weren’t they onto it immediately in the coaches box & where were our leaders? No plan B. No onfield leaders.

A coach playing a system that died when the 6 6 6 was introduced, disabling our ability to halt an opponent’s momentum, thus stopping the 6 or 7 unanswered goals. It was born in our two years of missed finals. Where every was lovey Dover with Horse in the lockdowns.

Adams may not have been at his best but he would have brought some resistance at the contest with a ruckman he knows inside out & against a ruckman playing his first game in 20 or so weeks. The vulnerable midfield should have been the Lions.
Our coaches showed them.
I think saying that Horse was out coached in a "big game" gives him an out for all the many other games throughout the year... every year... for the past seven or eight years... where Horse is out-coached in the midfield. He simply can not make a midfield work.

Even suggesting Adams being picked is futile. If our midfields have been dog-shit so often with names like JPK and this year's Heeney in them, the addition of an Adams wouldn't have made much difference.

I'm seriously fed up with Horse.

If you haven't seen this worth checking out. Ex-Melbourne ruck Jeff White breaks down how the Lions dominated the center bounces in the 2nd quarter. The point I found really interesting was that the Lions knew Grundy prefers to hit the ball to a certain area and hence were set up to counter this.

I think it's a bit harsh to just point it to Grundy, when this analysis would suggest the Brisbane mids were better structured (and coached?) than ours.

That is particularly damning for Dean Cox - the champion ex-ruck who coaches our midfield. More than any single person I would think he has responsibility for this. Then of course there's Horse, who sits over him and who bears responsibility for any decisions of his subordinates.

That is particularly damning for Dean Cox - the champion ex-ruck who coaches our midfield. More than any single person I would think he has responsibility for this. Then of course there's Horse, who sits over him and who bears responsibility for any decisions of his subordinates.
Because Cox was a gun ruck 20 years ago why should we expect him to be a master midfield tactician in today's game? Or Horse?
That's a nonsense. Many teams have stoppage analysts and coaches to do this.
THIS would be a major improvement moving forward. Lose a line coach if necessary. Poach one.

Great share, thank you.

Entirely agree that the midfield also bares responsibility.

What I was trying to say is that Grundy is supposed to be a premier ruck in the comp (with a couple of huge points to prove) up against a journeyman reserve ruck (albeit good quality).

Grundy should have not only be able to dominate Fort in hitouts, but also have the awareness to see the strategies of both teams to win the drop and be able to adapt his ruckwork and tell his mids where they need to be to dominate the game.

He didn’t take on this responsibility / didn’t have the smarts and awareness to do it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #4 Brodie Grundy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back