Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

If Martin does leave, its fair enough I suppose. Whilst i'd love him to finish his career in a competitive Richmond outfit that is going deep into september if we remain in the bottom half I can see the appeal of getting out of Melbourne and going to the Gold Coast in a team that should be finals bound.

If he does go with the new CBA surely he is still on 900k+, given his output is still elite and we can get a band 1 compensation pick
We won’t get band 1 , 2 or 3 band compensation , we will probably have to give picks as well as pay his celery under this CFL

If Martin does leave, its fair enough I suppose. Whilst i'd love him to finish his career in a competitive Richmond outfit that is going deep into september if we remain in the bottom half I can see the appeal of getting out of Melbourne and going to the Gold Coast in a team that should be finals bound.

If he does go with the new CBA surely he is still on 900k+, given his output is still elite and we can get a band 1 compensation pick

He will be 33yo end of 2024.. if he leaves we will be lucky to get any compensation as age plays a large part in their formula, in addition to salary of course. Add in the ‘Brandon Ellis’ tax and we will get band 3 or 4, nothing surer. And picking up a free agent will cancel out any compensation.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Your true calling would be writing novels for Mills and Boon.
Haha, romance novels is exactly how a lot of people on here think, they're still tied up with the romance of Dusty staying, gives credence to the old saying that love is blind.

Look, GCS possibly won't win a premiership in 2-3 years time, although the examples of GWS and the Pies turnarounds are proof of the pudding so to speak. Ben King or picks might also not happen. But the simple fact is that Dusty will be gone to the Suns in 2024, everything that has happened alludes to that fact.

But the simple fact is that Dusty will be gone to the Suns in 2024, everything that has happened alludes to that fact.
Everything that has happened? I must have sleepwalked my way through the last few seasons. What exactly has happened?

And something that has not happened yet can't be described as fact. Try to pay attention to the language we've all agreed on.

Why have blokes like Pendlebury, Bontempelli, Petracca, Gawn etc never had the level of departure scrutiny that Dusty has had? Not even a small fraction of it? When he's been nothing but loyal all the way through his 14 seasons at Tigerland, despite being courted by huge offers that any other player would've filled their boots on in a heartbeat.

Even before they each ultimately deserted their original clubs, the likes of Dangerfield, Franklin, Grundy, Neale, Cameron(s) etc never had their loyalty questioned on an annual basis.

Yet every f**king year we Tiger supporters have had to endure this bollocks.

Dustin's desire to stay with the Tigers has been repeatedly called into question by the scurrilous parasites in the media and the mindless social media types who devour and regurgitate it. Including quite a few on this site I might add.

These constant attempts to undermine the great man's fierce loyalty to his club, his teammates and his adoring supporter base are bloody tiresome and just wrong.

Why have blokes like Pendlebury, Bontempelli, Petracca, Gawn etc never had the level of departure scrutiny that Dusty has had? Not even a small fraction of it? When he's been nothing but loyal all the way through his 14 seasons at Tigerland, despite being courted by huge offers that any other player would've filled their boots on in a heartbeat.

Even before they each ultimately deserted their original clubs, the likes of Dangerfield, Franklin, Grundy, Neale, Cameron(s) etc never had their loyalty questioned on an annual basis.

Dustin's desire to stay with the Tigers has been repeatedly called into question by the scurrilous parasites in the media and the mindless social media types who devour and regurgitate it. Including quite a few on this site I might add.

These constant attempts to undermine the great man's fierce loyalty to his club, his teammates and his adoring supporter base are bloody tiresome and just wrong.
Dust not big on changes on or off the field. His manager, is in love with drama as a tool to secure good contracts. Media also deal in high drama with a hint of truth and urine. Answers lie here.

scurrilous - what a word

Amen brother.

TOO TRUE...all this RFC medja scrutiny means only one thang!
We are...without doubt...the biggest AFL club in the land and because of that fact we cope the biggest shut shows!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can still get compo for UFAs (eg Chol when he left), you just don't get the option to match the deal.
Thanks mate
Dunno why I had it in my head that UFA’s didn’t get compo picks

Thanks mate
Dunno why I had it in my head that UFA’s didn’t get compo picks

RFA often provide better compo as the club offering the deal bumps it up financially to ensure a better compo pick so the club doesn’t match - eg, McKay and Gresham this year. If McKay and Gresham were UFA they’d have been offered way less. This is why trading Soldo was wise, as would’ve been UFA next year and we’d have got very average compo if he left.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why have blokes like Pendlebury, Bontempelli, Petracca, Gawn etc never had the level of departure scrutiny that Dusty has had?

Cos Dustin is one of the greatest players ever to play the game and the best finals performing and winning player in the modern era.

Whilst they are all unarguably great players, none of them are peak GOAT when he was Peak GOAT.

Last edited:
Showed a clip on the Ch7 sports news last night of the great man starting pre-season early and churning out laps of Punt Rd Oval. He’s such a shining example to our younger players, and demonstrates his commitment to the team. Won’t leave when his contract expires imo, hopefully signs an extension before next season or shortly after it starts. Love this bloke

Showed a clip on the Ch7 sports news last night of the great man starting pre-season early and churning out laps of Punt Rd Oval. He’s such a shining example to our younger players, and demonstrates his commitment to the team. Won’t leave when his contract expires imo, hopefully signs an extension before next season or shortly after it starts. Love this bloke
GOAT gonna keep doing GOAT things

He's invested i reckon - much to Karen Corn et al's disappointment ....

Media poo eaters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back