Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate how people mention Luke Hodge & Sam Mitchell it never affected their legacies did it?

What did they ever do at their 2nd club? pointless threw away being a one-club player just for a couple of bucks. I would rather retire if I was already rich & won Premierships as a one-club player.

Well I got news for you it actually did because their no longer one-club players, people underrate what it means post career to be a one-club player. Richo only linked to one club for life, you hear people talk about clubs when they been at multiple & they seem conflicted on which club they feel closer to, like Adam Cooney says he likes the Bombers more than the Dogs.

Can you imagine Dusty liking Gold Coast more than Richmond even though he was only their for 2 years? if it happened.
Also how will it affect Martin earning potential post-career?

Can you please tell me if you view Brett Deledio as the same player? not comparing him to Dusty ofc but I bet you 100% it's not the same as if he stayed here, I bet people hear would talk about him more if he stayed a Tiger.
Well for Hodge he help enormously with the Lions coming back up the ladder. His leadership was a major factor in that move as they were still a basket case when he got there.

But the situations are not comparable at all. Hodge and Mitchell were retired by Hawthorn and not wanted and decided to make the move to extend their careers. It is that fact that means that their legacies as Hawthorn players are still largely intact.

With Dusty, everything coming out of the club makes it sound like they want to resign him so him moving to the Gold Coast would be his decision and that would effect his legacy at the club.

IMO one of the club's proudest moments and sweetest revenge for the years of torment Ablett (and his old man for that matter) inflicted on us was winning third flag why simultaneously denying him a third flag and sending him out a loser...:thumbsu:
I don’t consider him at all a looser , but so glad we bested them in those finals

Wonder how close it actually was

I’ve read a few times that the Dusty 2 GWS deal was essentially done but it was blocked by someone up the chain

Thats the one story I hope we get more context about in the future
I've heard/read that when Dusty was touring the GWS facilities and talking to the coaches etc. that all he did was talk about how much he loved Richmond and his role models were there. Eventually a GWS official just said mate, it's clear you want to stay there.

We've heard all this Dusty talk before anyway. Media scum have been blathering on about how he will be traded/retire for years, and they've been wrong 100% of the time. What shits me is all we hear about is the 1 time they're right. I hope Dusty stays at the Tigers and sees his playing days out here, but if not I won't hold it against him. He'll always be a tiger.

I've heard/read that when Dusty was touring the GWS facilities and talking to the coaches etc. that all he did was talk about how much he loved Richmond and his role models were there. Eventually a GWS official just said mate, it's clear you want to stay there.
I can completely verify this story, sourced directly from a Martin family member.
In actual fact, CEO David Matthews made a cutthroat action to SOS when they were both touring the GWS facilities with Dusty, after Dusty continually referred back to his experiences of being at Tigerland and playing in front of those huge finals crowds in the first half of last decade.

The point I make is Hardwick needs players who know his game intimately and Rioli would be an awesome acquisition.

He’s met with him, let’s see how it pans out.
Rioli will be a tiger for life

Dusty shouldn't play until he can run out a full game.

I don't know the extent of his back injury, if it can be fixed or if its code for something else but he should be made aware that we need him able to play out a game.

I'm hoping its an injury that he can recover from. There are times when he is moving well and can still be very very good for us moving forward.

If it cannot be fixed, or his body cannot hold up, then unfortunately he is done.

The great man has done more for us than we ever dreamed.

I love Dusty.

I can completely verify this story, sourced directly from a Martin family member.
In actual fact, CEO David Matthews made a cutthroat action to SOS when they were both touring the GWS facilities with Dusty, after Dusty continually referred back to his experiences of being at Tigerland and playing in front of those huge finals crowds in the first half of last decade.

Hmmm … he toured GWS facilities end of 2013 … we’d only played in 1 x final at that time. Something not in dispute is during the visit Leon Cameron asking him about Dimma and the playing group and Martin saying he loved them both, so Cameron asked why he’d want to leave … a few days later he confirmed he was staying a Tiger:

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I could handle Dusty playing for Sydney but not for that shit stain club Gold Coast hardcock has made me hate them up there with the scum ,the filth ,druggies and hand baggers
For What it's worth, Dimma recently looks facially ragged, at the end of the perch about to drop off. Not well. Health issues may could get him soon retired too.

I sat too because I don't think Dust has that much more to prove. His body no longer sustains week in, week out fitness level that he had until 2020. For Dust's future best health into his middle years and beyond, I hope that he chooses AFL retirement at seasons end.

Dusty is in season 15. Its hard to believe that if you remove the 17-20 years, he never won a final.

Crazy really. Won 3 Norm smiths over 4 years & never won a final pre or post it.

That stat is what a lot of Geelong supporters keep aiming at Dusty for....his finals record outside Richmond's successful era....they say he was only good in finals when the team was good.

Hmmm … he toured GWS facilities end of 2013 … we’d only played in 1 x final at that time. Something not in dispute is during the visit Leon Cameron asking him about Dimma and the playing group and Martin saying he loved them both, so Cameron asked why he’d want to leave … a few days later he confirmed he was staying a Tiger:

Some of my memories of the incident and it's exact timing are a little hazy Noid (eg. apparently it was Ireland and not Matthews, and only 1 final up until then but there were plenty of blockbusters), so I looked up on my original post from 2013 - here it is.

It's worth a read if only for some of the classic foot-in-mouth responses I got from oppo supporters at the time. eg "GWS have dodged a bullet" 🤣)

And I've had it absolutely verified by a Martin family member since then, explained in the way I have mentioned in my post that you've quoted, including that cutthroat action. That Carlton elimination final in 2013 left a massive imprint in Dusty too.

Also, just quietly the Daily Mail might not be the most dependable source.

That stat is what a lot of Geelong supporters keep aiming at Dusty for....his finals record outside Richmond's successful era....they say he was only good in finals when the team was good.

It does stand out, but that success did occur from the ages of 26-30 which tends to me when peak players peak.

the 3 loses between 13-15, he was in our best 5 players for each game from my memory & when you look at the team named, you clearly see our downfall was that our bottom 5-6 players were not AFL standard

Some of my memories of the incident and it's exact timing are a little hazy Noid (eg. apparently it was Ireland and not Matthews, and only 1 final up until then but there were plenty of blockbusters), so I looked up on my original post from 2013 - here it is.

It's worth a read if only for some of the classic foot-in-mouth responses I got from oppo supporters at the time. eg "GWS have dodged a bullet" 🤣)

And I've had it absolutely verified by a Martin family member since then, explained in the way I have mentioned in my post that you've quoted, including that cutthroat action. That Carlton elimination final in 2013 left a massive imprint in Dusty too.

Also, just quietly the Daily Mail might not be the most dependable source.

It was/is a pretty shit strategy by Carr to be fair. But the issues is.... it worked. So what stops agents doing the same again?

Essentially Carr wasted 100's of hours of highly paid peoples time by feigning interest of Dusty leaving to bump up his clients price. This is the issue with lying. Its incredibly easy and quick to do, but extemeley hard and often expensive to prove.

How you solve it is very difficult. Perhaps in a situation like this, the Club who feels they have been used purely as a negotiation piece can apply for the right to INVOICE the agent in question for "time spent". This is common practice in a lot of companies which invite multiple servicers to gain a "sole tender". Saw the same thing in my previous job. A big client would have a current servicer, then when the contract is up start flirting with a new servicer to basically negotiate a better deal to stay with their current servicer. We all knew that we would ultimately end up with the contract, but likely with a lot shitter returns & the poor other company was just wasting 1000's of hours over 12-18 months trying to win something they genuinely had no chance of winning. Happens alot in job interviews too. They make a lot of people apply fully knowing that person X is who they are going to hire - but the process of interviewing etc is valuable to the company - but a total was of time for the potential suitor. The world is pretty shit.

I worked for one business where we used to go out and do massive quotes for building etc. I recall spending a considerable amount of time with one client, doing site visits & we all worked on the sense that we were getting the job etc. Without explanation or warning they went with another person. He called me into his office, asked me to explain the process ( basically to see if i had fked it up or not), then he called that customer up - had a crack at them, and said we will be invoicing you for our time and taking legal action otherwise, or, refuse to deal with that client and rep again, irrelevant of his future roles elsewhere. I thought he had no chance of them paying that invoice, but i was wrong. They paid it. To this day we don't really know if it was paid for by the company, or the rep himself - as i dare say he personally did not want his employer, or any future employers having him on our 'blacklist'. That one moment taught me alot for many years to come

A situation where a agent has requested, or accepted, an invite to tour another teams facilities then allows that team to say that the negotiations had gone beyond the point of "goodwill" & the club can invoice the agent "x" amount of money, determined by the % of commission he took from the new contract signed & that % being large enough that it is NOT in the agents interest to do this strategy.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Staying up all night with the blue pills will do that to you

yep and smoking too much medical weed. i rewatched the 2020 Gf earlier this week and the guy has done some serious "morphing" inbetween now and then.

When talking about the coaches who have won multiple GF's, is there a coach who relied more heavily on his assistants more than Dimma?

His success was more around the team the club built around him VS him being a genuine great. Matthews was a great. Sheedy was a great. I rate Pagan and even Parkin above Dimma when comparing them head to head. Dimma relied heavily on others to do the smarts imo

Funny story about Dimma and Baker which isn’t reported. Dimma made a play for Baker to come to GC. Baker told him to go **** himself. Not every player was happy with Dimma and how he left the club. The one thing the media don’t talk about is how the player relationships were impacted on how he left. And we do know some relationships were damaged with the marriage break up.
But you know - everyone wants to go up north cause Dimma…….

Triple premiership coach!
It’s up there in gold letters you clown.

Why don't you go to gold coast and get on your knee's and chew on his OG Kush then mate? Guy has been poaching our f-ing players left, right and centre and you are still like that pathetic "McGovern Fan" squib in Happy Gilmore

3 GF's won by a great team of players & coaches, & Damien "The Snake" Hardwick
Yep. Invoice Ralph. Hahaha.
They were offered the opportunity to convince Dusty to move. That opportunity was priceless. Priceless you idiot.

You post so much absolute garbage. You’ll disappear up your own arseh*le one day.

Yeah. It's a solution. Whats yours?

What was "priceless" about being mislead you have a chance at recruiting someone, when in actual fact - you had none & they were just using you for leverage? They had zero chance. It's a dirty trick agents have done for years to earn more money for your clients.

You ****ing act like the AFL lives in a different world to the rest of us. They have to abide by the same rules & the same things can always apply. You cannot deliberately waste peoples professional time with no intent of reward or fair play. And a world that allows that to happen and just shrug its shoulders like "thats just the way it works" if the exact type of world made for mindless mouthbreathers like you

Funny story about Dimma and Baker which isn’t reported. Dimma made a play for Baker to come to GC. Baker told him to go **** himself. Not every player was happy with Dimma and how he left the club. The one thing the media don’t talk about is how the player relationships were impacted on how he left. And we do know some relationships were damaged with the marriage break up.
But you know - everyone wants to go up north cause Dimma…….

Yep. He divided the club after 2020 and it showed. Said it at the time, but NOOOOOOOOOOO - I'm just a negative Nancy.

Reality Bites bitches.

Suck It Kaitlin Olson GIF by NASCAR

Yep. He divided the club after 2020 and it showed. Said it at the time, but NOOOOOOOOOOO - I'm just a negative Nancy.

Reality Bites bitches.

Suck It Kaitlin Olson GIF by NASCAR
3 x Premiership coach but in the end did the dirty on the club. Like you say, not every player is in love with him.

3 x Premiership coach but in the end did the dirty on the club. Like you say, not every player is in love with him.

It is what it is. None of us wanted it to end this way. None of us.

But it has & eventually you either spit or swallow, and move on. Just holding it in your mouth and letting it swish around for a few years is a bad choice. But anyone trying to convince me "its not all that bad" , i know chose "swallow"

Why don't you go to gold coast and get on your knee's and chew on his OG Kush then mate? Guy has been poaching our f-ing players left, right and centre and you are still like that pathetic "McGovern Fan" squib in Happy Gilmore

3 GF's won by a great team of players & coaches, & Damien "The Snake" Hardwick

Yeah. It's a solution. Whats yours?

What was "priceless" about being mislead you have a chance at recruiting someone, when in actual fact - you had none & they were just using you for leverage? They had zero chance. It's a dirty trick agents have done for years to earn more money for your clients.

You ****ing act like the AFL lives in a different world to the rest of us. They have to abide by the same rules & the same things can always apply. You cannot deliberately waste peoples professional time with no intent of reward or fair play. And a world that allows that to happen and just shrug its shoulders like "thats just the way it works" if the exact type of world made for mindless mouthbreathers like you

lol. What’s an OG Kush?
Who has he poached?
You are so bitter and twisted over Hardwick, it’s embarrassing.
Maybe he’s sounded out a player or two, so what? The Tiges were in to players for 18 months before we got em. It’s standard practice.
No touring of facilities, no meetings, no poaching…but if you do well send you an invoice for our valuable time.
You live in La La land.

lol. What’s an OG Kush?
Who has he poached?
You are so bitter and twisted over Hardwick, it’s embarrassing.
Maybe he’s sounded out a player or two, so what? The Tiges were in to players for 18 months before we got em. It’s standard practice.
No touring of facilities, no meetings, no poaching…but if you do well send you an invoice for our valuable time.
You live in La La land.

Yeah, i tend to get pissed off when ego's ruin something i care about.

You apparently bend over, spread your cheeks and say "thank you daddy"

Sounded out "a player or 2"? Dusty our GOAT. Rioli. Baker. Poached Grigg & Rance. And thats only the ones we KNOW bout. You are completely the type of person i have no time for. The type of person who probably cries if someone burns a flag.

You are pathetic. Feel free to hit the ignore button if you can't handle it

Dude ****ing cheated on his WIFE on a work trip and you are singing his praises still?

No standards. No ethics. Just blind loyalty.

Blind is Blind and you sir are .....

cant see season 8 GIF

Yeah, i tend to get pissed off when ego's ruin something i care about.

You apparently bend over, spread your cheeks and say "thank you daddy"

Sounded out "a player or 2"? Dusty our GOAT. Rioli. Baker. Poached Grigg & Rance. And thats only the ones we KNOW bout. You are completely the type of person i have no time for. The type of person who probably cries if someone burns a flag.

You are pathetic. Feel free to hit the ignore button if you can't handle it

Dude ****ing cheated on his WIFE on a work trip and you are singing his praises still?

No standards. No ethics. Just blind loyalty.

Blind is Blind and you sir are .....

cant see season 8 GIF

Never seen any evidence of you caring about the Tiges.

ps. Grigg was at Geelong, Rance was at Essendon. You really are stupid.
And he’s poached no one from Richmond.

Never seen any evidence of you caring about the Tiges.

ps. Grigg was at Geelong, Rance was at Essendon. You really are stupid.
And he’s poached no one from Richmond.
talking to you....

Bored Season 4 GIF by Parks and Recreation

You are so boring to fight with, i actually unblocked R2R. Turns out, she don't post so much now we are losing. Fancy that.

Player Watch #4 Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back