AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I think he is in the conversation easily, you only have to read this thread during and after last weeks game. People are so quick to bag him for any mistake.
I've read this thread quite often.

Underrated is not a word associated with Langford on this board.

Well I disagree. I'm happy to step back away from "most underrated" as it's hard to really know who that is. Maybe under appreciated is a better description for what I mean.
Go back a few pages. Look at the people falling over themselves to ignore his rubbish efforts for the majority of the Fremantle game last year because he kicked a couple of goals late.

Kyle has been good the first 2 rounds and he was actually pretty decent even last year. But he has never lacked love on this board, I've been highly critical of his output vs his reputation for awhile.

Go back a few pages. Look at the people falling over themselves to ignore his rubbish efforts for the majority of the Fremantle game last year because he kicked a couple of goals late.

Well to be fair the goals he kicked iced the game, not to dissimilar to how Parish was received this week, different circumstances to be fair.

His quiet games or quarters are spoken about and highlighted all the time, he can't have an average game with out criticism.

Well to be fair the goals he kicked iced the game, not to dissimilar to how Parish was received this week, different circumstances to be fair.

His quiet games or quarters are spoken about and highlighted all the time, he can't have an average game with out criticism.
Your first paragraph sums up my point perfectly.

We clearly disagree though so happy to agree to disagree.

That doesn't make any sense. Let's critique him harshly because he made a silly error one day?

On that day, yes. He has played 2 great games this year and we have praised him for it.

It's almost like he is being rated perfectly?

On that day, yes. He has played 2 great games this year and we have praised him for it.

It's almost like he is being rated perfectly?

Oh I get where you're coming from. But in fairness a couple posters criticized him this week one called for his delisting, that's what triggered my post. Small sample size in fairness. I concede I went to hard with "most"

Oh I get where you're coming from. But in fairness a couple posters criticized him this week one called for his delisting, that's what triggered my post. Small sample size in fairness. I concede I went to hard with "most"

Yeah I think some people haven't watched him closely this year, for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Think Parish getting extra midfield time > Langford gives us more wins, obviously just opinion as the AFL doesn't have publicly available data on win shares and success of different midfield combos etc.
Parish's quarter in the middle was far better than the cumulative time Langford has spent there. Langford is a forward/mid. Parish is a mid/forward. Handy they both have experience in another role as it builds the sustainability of the 'system', but playing them in their best position surely has to be Dasher mid and Langers forward.

Still does some weird shit every now and then but played Cripps to a nil all draw while actually doing some really constructive stuff himself.

One of our best and one of his better outings.

Sacrificed his game which is good in a way but don’t think it actually does his confidence any favours, he looks at his best when he is playing with an attacking mindset not a negating mindset.

it’s like we don’t want to get the best out of our talented kids, Parish spending no time in the midfield tonight another example.

Last edited:
I think we're stuck in a rut of making excuses if that is what a good game looks like.
Are we going to ignore the multiple half ass attempted toe pokes instead of putting his body over the ball? It would seem so.

I think we're stuck in a rut of making excuses if that is what a good game looks like.
Good as in he did his job. Took Cripps out of the game for the most part and lifted in the last quarter on the outside.

That said, he shouldn't be tagging when we have Clarke. He's just not an inside/defensive player. Some of his tackles and grunt work isn't up to standard.

Are we going to ignore the multiple half ass attempted toe pokes instead of putting his body over the ball? It would seem so.

I was there. Happy as anyone to buy in to what Langford could be, at the end of 2018 I though he was almost there, but he's been embarrasing as it gets for a "big bodied midfirlder" since.

I was there. Happy as anyone to buy in to what Langford could be, at the end of 2018 I though he was almost there, but he's been embarrasing as it gets for a "big bodied midfirlder" since.
I hate to use the S word but I'm close. Just doesn't go time and time again.

Yet put the ball out in front and he'll crash into someone. Madness. Play the natural HF as a half forward.

But that'd involve playing the natural mid (Parish) in the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford

Back