AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford

Kyle is a...

• pure mid

• pure forward

• mid/forward

• forward/mid

• AFL footballer! (and I don't care where he plays)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh it’s just like the Shiel one. They wanted to give Mcstay two weeks like they wanted to give Long three weeks so they beefed up our suspension.

What are the chances it happens to us twice.

It was a bump. He was not trying to tackle nor was he trying to pick up the ball. He lent into the contest with his hip. No chance of over turning it.
Except maybe level of contact. Rohan and Pickett both got fines for similar incidents and their oppoments got straight back up like McAdam

Thought he’d be likely to get a week at the time.

In the end, given the shortened nature of the breaks between games, it’s likely he’d have a week off in the next few games anyway. Would be worth an appeal but a week off isn’t the end of the world at this stage of the season

Langford leaned in as if to bump then half pulled out of it. Most of the force was from the Crows player running into Langford. Kinda disappointing really but I guess lets Langford freshen up instead of 5 day break.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know we aren't a good team, but we have just got rotten luck with injuries and suspensions.

I'm starting to wonder if we have ever had our best side on the park, and if we ever will.

Please don’t compare to McStay, that is far worse.

Jetta literally bends down picks up the ball and then is collected high.

Langford holds his ground braces for impact. Langford is the only player to touch the ball.
Free kick, that’s all.

I don't think people are quite understanding why Langford has been suspended. He's been done for forceful front-on contact, not rough contact, like most bumps that get suspensions. Forceful front-on contact is what the AFL first tried to get rid of all those years ago, before it morphed into bumps that cause concussions and other head injures, steaming, as I recall, from the Caracella incident where he had his neck broken. I would argue the AFL & the players have been fairly successful in this. We rarely see incidents like Langford's anymore, which is why it's slightly surprising to see two in one round (McStay). The front on contact incidents that we tend to see nowadays are ones where the player making contact does make contact to the head, but are generally stationary or near stationary and not applying too much force onto the player, so a free-kick is all that happens. Langford obviously has bumped with a fair amount of force. The reason why it gets bumped up to medium impact, without any indication of an injury, is because the AFL is shit scared of a front on bump like Langford's (and McStay's) breaking a neck so it's one of the ones where the potential to cause injury is heavily considered.

Now, I suppose someone could try to argue Langford had no realistic alternative way to approach the contest, which would clear him, but I don't really see that myself.

1595854999291.png 1595855024915.png

I don't think people are quite understanding why Langford has been suspended. He's been done for forceful front-on contact, not rough contact, like most bumps that get suspensions. Forceful front-on contact is what the AFL first tried to get rid of all those years ago, before it morphed into bumps that cause concussions and other head injures, steaming, as I recall, from the Caracella incident where he had his neck broken. I would argue the AFL & the players have been fairly successful in this. We rarely see incidents like Langford's anymore, which is why it's slightly surprising to see two in one round (McStay). The front on contact incidents that we tend to see nowadays are ones where the player making contact does make contact to the head, but are generally stationary or near stationary and not applying too much force onto the player, so a free-kick is all that happens. Langford obviously has bumped with a fair amount of force. The reason why it gets bumped up to medium impact, without any indication of an injury, is because the AFL is sh*t scared of a front on bump like Langford's (and McStay's) breaking a neck so it's one of the ones where the potential to cause injury is heavily considered.

Now, I suppose someone could try to argue Langford had no realistic alternative way to approach the contest, which would clear him, but I don't really see that myself.

View attachment 920877View attachment 920878

Pretty straight forward.

As mentioned up thread, Langford copped a pretty bad corkie and had his thigh heavily strapped. Might be okay for him to miss (essentially giving him a rest) before we hit the games with short turnarounds.

Shiel comes in, Cutler is available.

Don't hear him talk much but he's one of the post-match interviews this week (nothing about the suspension obviously):

Worth watching imo.
Lol. our new ruck :p

remain a big fan. i love his kicking.

Except maybe level of contact. Rohan and Pickett both got fines for similar incidents and their oppoments got straight back up like McAdam

The penalties seem all over the place but I have no issue with players leading with the hip getting suspended. Margin of error is too small.
Should be 1 week and work from there which in recent weeks may be happening.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player # 4: Kyle Langford

Back