Past #4: Liam Anthony - delisted by NM end '14 - 4th in 2016 Sandover Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at training today and watched as the players all went through kicking techniques, maybe it is not just the the supporters who have identified the turnovers from kicking is costing us games!

..........maybe it is not just the the supporters who have identified the turnovers from kicking is costing us games!

The Peninsula Ladies could've told them that. Anyone with functioning eyes could've too. Good to see them working on it anyway.

LA was average and does appear a little gunshy but he's not alone in his mediocrity.

Throw in Jacobs, Harper, Gibson, JMac, Hansen. Half a dozen players who should be made to sweat their spots. Not calling for wholesale change, just make these guys feel a little pressure.

Anthony looks great when we're winning, that's just the type of player he is. Doesn't bring a lot of defensive pressure to the table despite the 4 tackles pointed out earlier, as he's easily brushed aside.

As a tagger, you'd give him the job of completely smothering his opponent and forget about getting a kick. Has a big engine and if specifically focused on, could be taught how to tackle properly.

Those roles play to his strengths, minimise his weaknesses & helps him and the team.

Hospital handballs > Hospital kicks + hospital handballs

Aka 'The Brady Rawlings Tagger Succession Plan'.

I like it.

Hospital handballs > Hospital kicks + hospital handballs

Aka 'The Brady Rawlings Tagger Succession Plan'.

I like it.
Either that or the old Leigh Brown Solution.

firing+squad.jpg

Funny Fact: in the 2008 Draft, Rory Sloane went at 44 and Anthony 43.............................Mmmmm just imagine
Cam Richardson 32, Luke Parker 38 or so......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funny Fact: in the 2008 Draft, Rory Sloane went at 44 and Anthony 43.............................Mmmmm just imagine

I feel physically ill reading this. Sloane is a f***ing gun.

Another pea-hearted, contest shirking, turnover laden, stats padding performance from LA yesterday.

GET. RID. OF.

I love the hard work he does in providing an outlet and creating space for team mates to run into but ffs, the bloke struggles to execute the basics. Time to sort the wheat from the chaff. The coach says we now have the depth to give the selection committee headaches, well, time to put that depth to the test.

McKenzie is the obvious heir apparent to LA, needs to grab a few more VFL games by the balls and probably another full pre-season, and I'd say he will be a regular in the best 22, as more of a winger, than a HBF'r, with how Mullett has come on.

Its getting beyond a joke now. We question his spot in the team when he gets 25+, at the moment he is not even doing that. We can't carry him and Gibson, and Gibson at least is reliable over a 30 metre distance.

Out Anthony

In Mckenzie, Harper, Greenwood, Gysberts, Jacobs or even Garner

Actually, Parker went in the 2010 draft, the one where we got Atley at 17 and Harper at 27.

We went Atley-Harper-Delaney-Mabon.

In the 2008 draft, after Anthony:

Sloane, Stanley, Hunt, Walters, Redden, Cornelius. Not much else. Sloane and Hunt are the obvious ones.

Richardson was traded for pick 35 in the 2010 draft.

After pick 35:

Horlin-Smith, Hallahan, Taylor, Parker, Liberatore, Mitchell, Crocker, Michie, Fasolo, Alex Johnson.

Hindsight's a wonderful thing.

We were likely thinking that we were in the position where we needed a maturish running player. When LA started with us we did not have another player capable of getting outside and racking up shit loads of ball and his impact was immediate. Now we have a few he is becoming more and more expendable.

Richo, bloody destroyed by injury.

Its getting beyond a joke now. We question his spot in the team when he gets 25+, at the moment he is not even doing that. We can't carry him and Gibson, and Gibson at least is reliable over a 30 metre distance.

Out Anthony

In Mckenzie, Harper, Greenwood, Gysberts, Jacobs or even Garner

Disagree. LA a comfortably better player than Gibson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #4: Liam Anthony - delisted by NM end '14 - 4th in 2016 Sandover Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back