Past #4: Liam Anthony - delisted by NM end '14 - 4th in 2016 Sandover Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

He will be given a chance to redeem himself I'm sure. Might be just the wake up call Liam needed.

If not there's a perfect club up the road for him...." it's a grand ol flag, its a high flying flag"....:p

Successful clubs always hide players with deficiencies. Anthony is one of those who looks better in a good side because he has no difficulty in finding the pill and hitting blokes in space.

He is an easy target on here because of his weaknesses but his strengths will be praised when we are up and about.
Sorry BT but I dont agree with this either.

His disposal is poor even when in the clear, in fact that is what make him so infuriating because you can forgive players bombing blindly on occasion when they have a guy hanging off them, but when your a player that gets the ball in space as often as he does you simply MUST do more with it.

Even more so when your defensive game is lacking in so many areas.

He is a clutz... fumbly... people need to stop saying he wins a lot of the ball... He doesn't win it.. it is given to him... and he torches it mor often then not.... can't believe we delisted Ross and still have this guy starting each week... what an injustice.

Sorry BT but I dont agree with this either.

His disposal is poor even when in the clear, in fact that is what make him so infuriating because you can forgive players bombing blindly on occasion when they have a guy hanging off them, but when your a player that gets the ball in space as often as he does you simply MUST do more with it.

Even more so when your defensive game is lacking in so many areas.

Yet he's been going at close to 80% efficiency. Yes, he makes some poor decisions and because of the nature of the game he is playing his errors are more obvious but he also does a lot of very good linking work. He gets a lot of the ball because of his ability to be that guy.

When he has to play a contested game he does. Note his 14 contested possessions against the Swans. I would love him to add a consistent harder edge to his game but I also realize that he is playing a role that suits his style. He could be cleaner but so could about 90% of our ****** list.

Jeez this place is a bile filled hole after a loss.

Post of the day for mine.

Originally Posted by B Tron
Yet he's been going at close to 80% efficiency. Yes, he makes some poor decisions and because of the nature of the game he is playing his errors are more obvious but he also does a lot of very good linking work. He gets a lot of the ball because of his ability to be that guy.

When he has to play a contested game he does. Note his 14 contested possessions against the Swans. I would love him to add a consistent harder edge to his game but I also realize that he is playing a role that suits his style. He could be cleaner but so could about 90% of our ****** list.

All facts. Seriously, I cringed as much as the next bloke when that half arsed effort occured BUT, what BT's posted above is exactly what Bon would know, and exactly what he's working on improving/eradicating.

Half-arsed is a pretty nice way to describe a blatant squib, sadly not something foreign to Liam. He's not a good enough footballer to pull that stuff.

'Contested possessions' is probably the second most misleading stat too, behind 'disposal efficiency'.

Since 2010 we have seen this group come on in leaps and bounds.
However there is still one thing that is of concern.
Defensive pressure in the middle and our skills.
How much has that come on in 2 years??
If you have a look at our problems in 2010 it was getting smashed in the middle by sides like St.Kilda and Geelong.
Last year it was our fitness and gameplan and not being able to run it out.
Fast forward 2012 and we are not getting smashed in the middle being the no.2 clearance team. And we are running games out much better as seen with our fight backs. The gameplan? Its a work in progress but when it does work its awesome to watch.
So whats letting us down? Our turnovers. They are the one thing that is holding us back from becomming good to great.
Whether itd be from a clearance, a kick in or a pass inside fifty it is our biggest problem.
Not marking big forwards, not scoring goals and not finding the footy.

There has to be a point where elite foot skills are a must and that we can no longer carry those with suspect kicking.
This applies to Atley, Anthony, Greenwood and Adams.
Atley has applied himself tremendously well in defence and his skills are improving. His pace his electric so he is valuable.
Anthony and Greenwood have hit hurdles and are vying for the same spot. But i would not be surprise if a McKenzie pinches their spot in years to come. And i will probably get shot down for this but Adams needs to be careful as to not stagnate himself as he has set a high standard however the improvement were all waiting for to him becomming an a grader is yet to happen. Speight is another that may replace him.

Half-arsed is a pretty nice way to describe a blatant squib, sadly not something foreign to Liam. He's not a good enough footballer to pull that stuff.

'Contested possessions' is probably the second most misleading stat too, behind 'disposal efficiency'.

Agree Thewis, those stats are compeltely meaningless.

B Tron, seems you are very defensive of Anthony. You view his game differently to me (and maybe some others), in terms of what the club is looking for and what he "brings to the table", or doesn't bring.

No worries, all entitled to an opinion and time will tell I guess :thumbsu:

Yet he's been going at close to 80% efficiency.
The whole disposal % thing is a joke.

Anyone can get 80% efficiency kicking 40m+ to 50-50 contests, or handballing it 3m to a guy whos under the pump.

Rawlings had close to 80% efficiency as well, we all knew his limitations. But at least he also had some serious strengths when it came to closing the opposition players down.

Anthony gets it on the outside and generally has more time to dispose of it than the other players, he simply must do more with it than he does.

Long term I still dont see him as best 22 unless he can improve vastly in this area.

He's always been apprehensive of going in for the hard ball or tackling since he did his shoulder. He's aware of it and working on it as are the club.
Like a few others he has had injury issues in his first few seasons and this year would have to be the fittest he has looked.
He is in good form and if he wasn't playing his role in the game plan he wouldn't/wont be out there.

Whats to say that the spasmodic MRP decisions wasn't also at the back of his mind as he chased that ball? For all we know he expected the Eagles player to duck his head as soon as he got there. They have everyone second guessing atm.
The kids wearing a North guernsey and while he's earned the right to do that I'll back him 100% and let those in the know judge him.

As disappointed as some of you are you could cut back on some of the hate of one of our own.

I look at it this way.

Guys like Gibbs and Heppell are squibs. They can afford to be. They use the ball well and still add other skills to their respective teams.

Anthony simply does not have the skill set to be an outside midfielder.

On top of all that it's not how North Melbourne players play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I look at it this way.

Guys like Gibbs and Heppell are squibs. They can afford to be. They use the ball well and still add other skills to their respective teams.

Anthony simply does not have the skill set to be an outside midfielder.

On top of all that it's not how North Melbourne players play.

"post of the day for mine".

It's bloody simple, the bloke isn't up to scratch disposal wise to be getting it as much as he does. If I could be ****ed I'd make a tape of him running into the forward 50 and just bombing it long last year RD 1 vs the eagles in a telling moment of the game, then compare it to his many shithouse long bombs he still sets sail... But I can't be ****ed, I know his disposals shite already.

I can't believe we've got blokes defending his weakness and squibiness. Maybe instead, I'll make a thread about a second yr squib for the opposition and we can say our squib is harder than their squib.

...."the Nth way..." .....Pffft, what a joke. ... it would be remiss of me to not point out that LA's squibesque ways are through no other fault than bon's and his 'soft' coaching or 'doomed gameplan.' Bon is really a Trojan planted by the ferals to keep us down and eradicate us from the league.

What: North Melbourne open training
Where: Aegis Park - Arden Street, North Melbourne
When: Saturday May 12, approx 11.30am-12.30pm

A great opportunity to tuck the keyboards away for an hour and let Liam and the rest of the boys know how you feel in person.

What: North Melbourne open training
Where: Aegis Park - Arden Street, North Melbourne
When: Saturday May 12, approx 11.30am-12.30pm

A great opportunity to tuck the keyboards away for an hour and let Liam and the rest of the boys know how you feel in person.

This type of inane attitude is the exact reason why soft ***** continue to get a game for NMFC, and repeatedly have done in recent years. Where's the accountability?

If Anthony can actually will himself to have a decent and honest crack, then i'm sure the all things NMFC are better for it.......most importantly the man himself :thumbsu:

On BF we only offer players we consider spuds for potential A graders.

Anthony, Hansen, Tarrant and Urquhart for a Gold Coast young gun.

On a serious note, Anthony is almost 25 years old. His development has nearly peaked if not already. He is not good enough.

Speight and Sierakowski are 21. Mullet is 20. Time to give these kids more opportunities. Anthony should try and improve his game in the VFL and mentor these youngsters to play his role.

from NMFC website...

Brad McKenzie
North’s first selection in the 2011 National Draft has been mentioned several times by Scott as a potential debutant. The youngster has improved every week, and with 14 possessions at an amazing 93% efficiency rate in his last hit-out, could certainly be a handy addition off half-back.

Yes it is VFL, but some folk like stats so thought would share this.....
This is a glimpse of why he was drafted. Can't wait for him to get his opportunity at AFL level to show his talents not his physicality,as this is what we are MISSING overall, ...maybe this week a swap of someone who can't kick to someone that can...

from NMFC website...

Brad McKenzie
North’s first selection in the 2011 National Draft has been mentioned several times by Scott as a potential debutant. The youngster has improved every week, and with 14 possessions at an amazing 93% efficiency rate in his last hit-out, could certainly be a handy addition off half-back.

Yes it is VFL, but some folk like stats so thought would share this.....
This is a glimpse of why he was drafted. Can't wait for him to get his opportunity at AFL level to show his talents not his physicality,as this is what we are MISSING overall, ...maybe this week a swap of someone who can't kick to someone that can...
Looking fwd to seeing BMac in the side, but 14 p's is hardly kicking the door down. Would like to see him averaging in the mid 20's before promotion.
Sounds like Cruize will be unlucky again. Plus surely milky gets a chance to deliver.

I don't get Anthony. Was out of favour last year when we were a bottom 9 side. Now going into season 2012 where we are expected to be the big improvers and play finals he somehow flukes his way into the team pre season and Scott won't drop him after atleast 10 soft efforts in 6 games. I just don't get it. Unfortunately Brad Scott at times is just to nice a guy. We seen it with Lachy and Lindsay last year. F*** me give me Greenwood anyday. Also it's not just his effort that shits me it's his disposal, lack of leg power and decision making that is way down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #4: Liam Anthony - delisted by NM end '14 - 4th in 2016 Sandover Medal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back