AFLW Player # 4: Maddy Prespakis - Runner up in the BnF! Signed for 4 more years! - 11/3

Remove this Banner Ad

So a couple days ago Prespakis posted to her story on instagram with a screenshot of a direct message she had been sent from some loser talking shit about her body and calling out the person who sent it. I don’t have a copy of that but remember seeing it… and looks like no one else has posted it anywhere either, but here is the aftermath:

IMG_9540.jpeg

And then 7 managed to dig up some comments she made about her body in the preseason which really just makes it rough tbh.

The weirdest thing about it with this one is it’s purely down to some sort of beauty ideal… the stuff we hear about Jake Stringer they at least try to dress up their body shaming as a performance enhancement strategy.

In this case no one is even trying to dress it up as a performance argument… because how could you, when she’s the best player in the comp over the last five years?

If the best NFL players are built like a brick outhouse, and the best gymnasts are short and flexible, swimmers are built like a dolphin with big feet, why should it not be the case that the best player in the AFLW is the ideal body type for this sport, rather than wanting her to look like a gymnast? How would we be if she played like a gymnast.. just cartwheel through the centre bounce and get squished like an ant.

So a couple days ago Prespakis posted to her story on instagram with a screenshot of a direct message she had been sent from some loser talking shit about her body and calling out the person who sent it. I don’t have a copy of that but remember seeing it… and looks like no one else has posted it anywhere either, but here is the aftermath:

View attachment 2134956

And then 7 managed to dig up some comments she made about her body in the preseason which really just makes it rough tbh.

The weirdest thing about it with this one is it’s purely down to some sort of beauty ideal… the stuff we hear about Jake Stringer they at least try to dress up their body shaming as a performance enhancement strategy.

In this case no one is even trying to dress it up as a performance argument… because how could you, when she’s the best player in the comp over the last five years?

If the best NFL players are built like a brick outhouse, and the best gymnasts are short and flexible, swimmers are built like a dolphin with big feet, why should it not be the case that the best player in the AFLW is the ideal body type for this sport, rather than wanting her to look like a gymnast? How would we be if she played like a gymnast.. just cartwheel through the centre bounce and get squished like an ant.

It is that part of society that seems to linger in us all at various levels that questions body image and how you look. Even those of us who are pretty happy with our lot can still look in the mirror every now and then and wish they where not the image they see. It is something in nearly every society that does not get totally eliminated for some reason.
It is better than it was for sure but it is there.

Have lived my life being in the bigger than a percentage of the population box. For a bloke it is nowhere near as bad but even thought I am comfortable with it there are times when I think I would have liked to be more average. In saying that it is my fault that now I really should lose 15 to 20kg as the effort put into fitness and totally reigning in the diet is pretty poor.

There is an element of not feeling good enough because you are bigger. I feel it at times. I know it would be much worse for Women and Girls as it seems to be more acceptable if a bloke has a bit of a spare tyre for some reason and that pressure can be a bit of a blokey thing that does not get called out in a similar way as racism.

Last edited:
Nothing but respect for the way Maddy has not only been open about her inner demons relating to body image, but the way she's handled this episode of online bullying ("trolling" doesn't do it justice as this is bullying, plain and simple). I'm glad the club and industry is getting around her but I'd expect nothing less.

Body shaming is a blight on society. Happy and healthy should be the baseline, our genes are what they are and if people can't appreciate you for who you are, then **** them. The issue is social media giving the keyboard warriors a platform to say something they wouldn't dare say to someone's face, but the message still gets through to that person and can cut deeply.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If she couldn't cover ground or perform to AFLW standard due to fitness, then there's a fair conversation to be had about "getting in shape" (like what we have with Stringer every year).

But she's the best player in the comp and an absolute weapon, so I'd say she doesn't need to change a thing!

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Player # 4: Maddy Prespakis - Runner up in the BnF! Signed for 4 more years! - 11/3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back