Past #40: Brent LeCras - selected with #56 in the '03 ND - delisted at the end of the '06 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by Voice of Reason
As well as an Eagle, I am a Falcon (West Perth) and have watched Brent LeCras for a couple of years now, culminating in his BOG in the winning WAFL Grand Final this year. I think he's only about 21 and comes from Cervantes (fishing territory, a bit further north in WA).

We had a half back line of Todd Curley (ex-Bulldog), Brent LeCras and Steven Koops (ex-Dockers, now Bulldog). In the WAFL, they were outstanding, giving excellent drive out of the back line. We'll now miss two of them, but good luck to both.

While he played CHB in the WAFL, I doubt he has the height or size to go with the bigger CHBs in the AFL, so I would see him more as a HBF. His strengths are his movement (sideways or front and back) and he reads the play well, at least at the lower level, always looked pretty classy on the ball. Mentally - brave, tries hard and is motivated to succeed. Pretty good kick, mark, spoil and sound disposal all round (doesn't panic). Seemed to play well in the bigger games for us, which I always think is a good sign.

Will he make it at AFL - look, I don't know. I hope he does well.

Much appreciated Voice Of Reason.

It seems to me that John Baird should now really start to worry about his first team spot, and that this kid might be groomed to take over from Leigh Colbert.

Watched the WAFL GF and the boy had a slasher across h/b. Looked assured in the air and moved very well from memory. Big step up in class, but he'd be a chance.

How spewing am I. I taped the WAFL and SANFL GF's last year in case we picked up any players and I could have a look. This year I thought "nah stuff it, we won't pick any one up" and lo and behold we pick up LeCras and Sansbury, who played in these games.
Doh:eek:

Originally posted by Passmore
Watched the WAFL GF and the boy had a slasher across h/b. Looked assured in the air and moved very well from memory. Big step up in class, but he'd be a chance.

How spewing am I. I taped the WAFL and SANFL GF's last year in case we picked up any players and I could have a look. This year I thought "nah stuff it, we won't pick any one up" and lo and behold we pick up LeCras and Sansbury, who played in these games.
Doh:eek:

Thats a big DOH Passmore, would have been keen to watch both those games if you had them.

Bugger Passmore, however- moving well and being assured in the air sound handy:D

They should replay the VicM/C SA, WA, NT games again.. people could watch their draftees

GO EDDIE (I can't stop saying that, I love it)
GO WELLSY
GO JNR!
GO ROOS

Whether this bloke makes the cut or not (time will tell) - he's going to be better value (IMO) opinion than Jade Rawlings would have been.

I'd now expect Baird to be working a bit harder on the track now as well!

Sounds very simmilar to Bairdy in the sense that he won the BOG in the local league's VFL before being drafted.

I am happy that we took a bloke with a mind to shore up key defensive posts.

Yes, Baird has some competition now.. will be interesting to see how he handles this new challenge.

Le Cras sounds more likely to move into a KP rather than staying as a 3rd defender.

Go Roos

Grand-final effort happily ends fishing career
By Paul Daffey
January 25, 2004

Brent Le Cras, a 22-year-old defender with West Perth, entered last year's West Australian grand final as one more footballer with an AFL dream. After 19 kicks and eight handballs in a performance that earned him the Simpson Medal for best on ground, his ambition received a considerable boost.

On the night before the national draft in December, Le Cras received a call from Arden Street that raised his hopes, although not enough to deter him from his scheduled day's work. The previous year, he had been overlooked.

Le Cras and his father Peter, a premiership player with East Fremantle in 1979, were several kilometres off the West Australian coast, reeling in crayfish pots, when a call came on the mobile phone. While most draftees learnt of their future over the internet, Le Cras was surrounded by the Indian Ocean when he learned that the Kangaroos had presented the chance of a football career.

It seemed far more appealing than reeling in 125 crayfish pots every day. "We left the last 10 pots and went home," he said.

While the best of his contemporaries were on AFL contracts, Le Cras was playing country football and hauling in pots of crayfish.

Years of fishing served to focus his mind on football. Every day, while reeling in another batch of crays, he maintained his rhythm by reciting AFL trivia such as the top 10 No. 7s or the best premiership players of the past 20 years.

Dale Simmons, the president of the Cervantes Football Club, where Le Cras played in three premierships by the age of 19, was struck by the teenager's eagerness for the game. At three o'clock on the morning after a grand final victory, Le Cras was bouncing a football while his teammates devoted themselves to celebrations.

"He eats football," Simmons said.

Le Cras played in attack for Cervantes, where he was renowned for his mobility rather than his marking power. In one match he kicked 18 goals from a half-forward flank. But his performances failed to impress East Fremantle, the club he joined under the father-and-son rule.

At 19, Le Cras was deemed not good enough to earn a regular place in the East Fremantle reserves team. He returned to Cervantes and played in another flag before joining West Perth under coach Andrew Lockyer, the former West Coast defender.

Le Cras, who is 192 centimetres, spent his first season at West Perth in the reserves. The next year, in 2002, he played 20 senior games, mostly at centre half-back. He reprised that role last year, improving in confidence as the season progressed.

His future was sealed in the grand final when he cut out Subiaco opponent David Sierakowski while joining fellow half-back Steven Koops in setting up attacks. Koops was drafted by the Western Bulldogs, giving him the chance to further an AFL career that had stalled at Fremantle.

Le Cras's place on his father's boat, a 17-metre craft called Aussie Rules, has been taken by Simmons, whose pride in Le Cras's elevation to the Kangaroos' list is evident in his practice of wearing a Kangaroos beanie on the boat.

Simmons strapped a Kangaroos flag to the mast. "Unfortunately, the sea breeze got to it and tore it to bits," he said.

Such pride in Le Cras is evident throughout Cervantes. In a town of 300, the Kangaroos have picked up 19 new members.

Le Cras, meanwhile, misses his family but claims not to miss the ocean.

"I'd rather be playing footy than fishing, that's for sure," he said.

Footballers and professional fisherman

Jim Jess (Rich, 1976-88)
Five years ago, Jess began cray-fishing at Mundrabilla, on the edge of the Nullabor Desert.

Brad Rowe (Bris, 1990-91; Coll, 1992- 95; Frem, 1996)
Rowe found out he was drafted while fishtrapping in a converted prawn trawler near the Murion Islands, off the West Australian coast. On finishing his AFL career he went coaching and crayfishing at Horricks Beach in WA. Now a dedicated environmentalist, he is a ranger at Ningaloo Marine Park near Exmouth.

Ron Shapter (Sth Melb, 1930-31; Fitz, 1932-34; Ess, 1936)
Left-footed ruckman who coached Port Melbourne.

Peter Stephens (Geel, 1902-08)
Queenscliff fisherman who, in a match, took his arm out of a sling at threequarter- time and kicked the winning goals.

George "Jocka" Todd (Geel, 1922-34)
Geelong’s team-of-the-century full-back was a Queenscliff fishermen throughout his career. Almost missed one game because his boat broke down in Port Phillip Bay. Rowed back to shore before reaching Kardinia Park for the opening bounce.

Jim "Dugger" Warren (Geel, 1925-28)
A chunky rover from Port Fairy, Warren continued fishing in Queenscliff after beginning his football career at Geelong.

This story was found at: http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/01/24/1074732653443.html

Sweet Story:)

Like reading about his devotion to footy.. (bouncing a ball while team mates celebrated..)

And 19 Members.. wahoo! Lets get the other 281 members of whatever town it is they're talking about signed up.. how about all the fish in the sea;)

He looks good in Royal Blue & White..:D Wonder if we will see him come Wiz Cup Time..

Go Roos

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just wondered if anyone heard whether Brent Lecras (if it was him) was reported on video for the high tackle in the second quarter?

Only just saw it in detail watching Saturdays game, and Cleary mentioned that it might get looked at, which probably means that the video officer will almost certainly investigate it.

cheers,
ons.

Was that the one involving Lance Picioane?

The Picioane high tackle was very similar to the one which collected Leigh Harding.... not reportable IMHO, just hayward and subsequently high tackles.

If LeCras was the one the one who tackled Picioane, a height difference may have contributed to the misdirection of the tackle. No malice or misconduct in either incidient, although coathangers always look bad and are dangerous even if they're not deliberate.

Can anyone tell me how Brent LeCras is going as there is very little news about non-WA teams over here in the west, especially for guys who aren't playing in the league team.

Solid if not unspectacular seems to be the pattern emerging from his performances at Port Melbourne. I know there are quite a few that would rather see him given a go at FB than Watt.

At least he shows some poise and some brain power when he gets the ball. I was rather impressed. I may be wrong but I think its the pace of the game that maybe his sticking point at the moment - he seems to try to do the right thing but he takes to long to do it.

Chad Jones also looks okay to - at least there is something to work with.

Problem is you wont get to much info here because half the people are preoccupied with Ash Watson ! :) (still reckon they should be preoccuipied with Jeremy)

Has improved with every game he's played at VFL level.

Started the year looking to me a very meat and potatoes defender. Stand, punch, spoil.

But as the year has progressed he's shown that he can provide very handy drive from the backline, has a very tidy side step in traffic and can find space well sometimes. Very nice foot skills with good penetration when he requires it.

And looks like he has a bit of mongrel. Gets angry when beaten in a contest, sprays the umpire if a decision goes against him and generally looks like he cares.

Foot speed isn't terrific and he does get tackled a bit when in possession, but is also strong through the hips so he can break them on occasions also.

I like him more and more every time i see him.

Originally posted by kelman
It has got to be a worry if this is happening at VFL level.
Yes and no.

If he has space to work in he goes ok, but VFL forward lines are often congested places, and with Bruno playing the majority of his footy from full back this year, he hasn't always had alot of space to work with.

He doesnt get caught any more than John Baird does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #40: Brent LeCras - selected with #56 in the '03 ND - delisted at the end of the '06 season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back