40 Prospects to Watch in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Its is also more team orientated football where insignificant stats mean nothing.
This is why recruiters are going to more and more school games and less tac cup games every week

really !! 13 of last years top 20 were aps school kids that's why the standard of tac cup drops so low while school boys are not playing tac cup

really !! 13 of last years top 20 were aps school kids that's why the standard of tac cup drops so low while school boys are not playing tac cup

That's why more focus should be on those who go to public schools.

The private schools give the best kids scholarships to make their own teams stronger I agree there is plenty of good kids in the public system that could be in the mix
The focus needs to be on players that play a good brand of team footy and that can transition to the next level

So does under 18 football in Victoria need to be restructured?
Potentially. I think it's fine atm but we could move to a system like the NCAA where schools compete instead of stand alone teams. This could potentially raise the standard of football in Victoria as private schools have access to better facilities then alot of TAC clubs as well as the ability to test players against pressure created by crowds. For this to happen though there would have to be more talent ID work done at the lower levels of football by private schools and an increase in the amount of scholarships to be given out which could cost schools in the short term. Plus there would have to be a massive overhaul of the current TAC system and could cause some issues logistically. This may be an option long term but I don't think we will see it for atleast the next 5 years.

Potentially. I think it's fine atm but we could move to a system like the NCAA where schools compete instead of stand alone teams. This could potentially raise the standard of football in Victoria as private schools have access to better facilities then alot of TAC clubs as well as the ability to test players against pressure created by crowds. For this to happen though there would have to be more talent ID work done at the lower levels of football by private schools and an increase in the amount of scholarships to be given out which could cost schools in the short term. Plus there would have to be a massive overhaul of the current TAC system and could cause some issues logistically. This may be an option long term but I don't think we will see it for atleast the next 5 years.
Something needs to be done. Take the EDFL comp for instance. They changed the 18.5 age to U19 at the end of last year. Two premier division clubs could not field teams as well as a number of Division 1 clubs (I think in total it was around 7 clubs from the league). So the league upped the age to 19.5 and clubs still couldn't field teams.
So how does the issue get resolved?

The AFL has implemented a MOU agreement with the APS/AGVS schools so that the TAC football, Nationals, and Academy football operate with clear priorities so the kids don't have to make the choices. The objective is to reduce clashes with school games and TAC,as well as having the national games a priority above all. Changes to the schedule this year has achieved a lot and enabled school footballers to play more TAC and national games without missing their school commitments. Kids that can perform at school, TAC and national games collectively demonstrate an ability to adapt to contrasting game styles. Unfortunately TAC football is becoming a game of stats not real football.

The AFL has implemented a MOU agreement with the APS/AGVS schools so that the TAC football, Nationals, and Academy football operate with clear priorities so the kids don't have to make the choices. The objective is to reduce clashes with school games and TAC,as well as having the national games a priority above all. Changes to the schedule this year has achieved a lot and enabled school footballers to play more TAC and national games without missing their school commitments. Kids that can perform at school, TAC and national games collectively demonstrate an ability to adapt to contrasting game styles. Unfortunately TAC football is becoming a game of stats not real football.
I agree with your points on TAC, seeing some Div 2 Champ games they were very structured and made for very physical matches.NT were a little off the pace but the matches between the academy team's and Tassie were very impressive with no blow outs against each other.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

just wanting to know how you rate the talent pool this year compared to next year. Will next year be deeper, or is this the year to look deep, and focus on the first round talent next year?
Last year was the year to look deep.

Early reports for this year, shallow pool of top talent, shallow draft all up.

Unfortunately TAC football is becoming a game of stats not real football.

Interesting assessment. Not entirely sure how you arrive at it.

I've watched quite a bit of TAC football over the years and it often seems to involve:

1. teams of 23-24 players in the same football uniforms playing against each other;

2. a football usually involved;

3. Four big white sticks at each end,

4. a few umpires running around trying to make decisions,

5. a scoreboard which responds to the kicking of the football through the posts; and

6. A canteen which sells over priced junk food to the people who come to watch and often support the players involved.

How is this about "stats not real football"?

Interesting assessment. Not entirely sure how you arrive at it.

I've watched quite a bit of TAC football over the years and it often seems to involve:

1. teams of 23-24 players in the same football uniforms playing against each other;

2. a football usually involved;

3. Four big white sticks at each end,

4. a few umpires running around trying to make decisions,

5. a scoreboard which responds to the kicking of the football through the posts; and

6. A canteen which sells over priced junk food to the people who come to watch and often support the players involved.

How is this about "stats not real football"?
Those 6 points are the only thing that make TAC football feel like it is real footy Hedge ! that information comes from people that actually work in the industry

Those 6 points are the only thing that make TAC football feel like it is real footy Hedge ! that information comes from people that actually work in the industry

Do you mean part time recruiters?
Or AFL coaching/football staff?

It's sad (if true) that it isn't considered to be an actual football competition, given that's what AFL Victoria hold it out to be.

Do you mean part time recruiters?
Or AFL coaching/football staff?

It's sad (if true) that it isn't considered to be an actual football competition, given that's what AFL Victoria hold it out to be.
Full time and Staff...its not that it isn't a football comp its just not the only one that they are sourcing kids form ie school footy academy nationals and even vfl and country footy where they are not so focused on stats.

Full time and Staff...its not that it isn't a football comp its just not the only one that they are sourcing kids form ie school footy academy nationals and even vfl and country footy where they are not so focused on stats.

It's no secret that players come into the AFL from many different competitions and at various stages of their football development. However it's still the case that over 50% of draftees year in/out come straight from the TAC. There's obviously a history of success there or the club's wouldn't keep recruiting from that competition.

Who are the people you claim to be so focused on stats at TAC level?

Is it not the case that a lot of the stats leaders from TAC in 2016 were not recruited into the AFL last season, whilst those who proved they could make an elite impact with their possessions and defensive efforts got the nod instead?

That's certainly my understanding.

It's no secret that players come into the AFL from many different competitions and at various stages of their football development. However it's still the case that over 50% of draftees year in/out come straight from the TAC. There's obviously a history of success there or the club's wouldn't keep recruiting from that competition.

Who are the people you claim to be so focused on stats at TAC level?

Is it not the case that a lot of the stats leaders from TAC in 2016 were not recruited into the AFL last season, whilst those who proved they could make an elite impact with their possessions and defensive efforts got the nod instead?

That's certainly my understanding.[/QUOTE

Ok hedge is appears that you are sensitive to this issue that I posted a month ago relating to TAC so I better give you some home truths.
It is widely recognized that TAC football is different.
Firstly the rules are different to all other football in the country. The reason for that is it is a pathway to AFL and recruiters want to view players attributes. Rule changes enable players to demonstrate this without 'real' pressure from opponents.
Secondly there is way too much media focus on stats to the point that these kids think they need high stats to get drafted so the game becomes stats driven instead of free flowing football.(TEAM ORIENTATED)
And thirdly you are correct in 50% being drafted from TAC. Don't forget to mention that the school footballers from APS and AGS are included in the TAC but play minimal games in it. Also many other talented kids from other states are now playing in the TAC for a few games in draft year (such as Cedric Cox last year)
I am not saying the TAC is completely broken but it is in need of some major changes before it loses its purpose of actually developing better footballers, and more important better people.

I'm not sensitive at all - don't know why you would make that assertion.

Facts are facts. A high proportion of draftees come from the competition. In fact of those two teams that played off in the 2016 Grand Final, 14 of the 77 draftees came from them. To make the grand final, you have to play very effective team oriented football.

I'll put it into a statistic if you like.

18% of all players taken in the AFL Draft were from the TAC Cup Grand Finalists.

Not the SANFL, VFL, WAFL, NEAFL, APS, AGSV, or ACC grand finals.

That's the only statistic you really need to show the immediate and compelling relevance of the TAC competition to the AFL system.

Totally agree that's the point exactly the best teams played a great brand of team football and were rewarded with a high number of draftees into the system.

Totally agree that's the point exactly the best teams played a great brand of team football and were rewarded with a high number of draftees into the system.

Conclusion: the TAC competition isn't broken, as the best teams are getting the highest number of players drafted into the AFL. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

40 Prospects to Watch in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Back