Traded #42: Massimoe D'Ambrosioe - Thank you for your service

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We went out and essentially replaced him with Roberts who is very similar and needs to work on a lot of the same things, the last couple of games he played with us we deployed him forward and Iā€™d love someone with his class and smarts in our forward line at the moment and the cherry on top is heā€™s ****ing italian, the one time Dodoro nepotism doesnā€™t come into play.

The more layers you peel back the more it reeks.

Of course the system and the players in the system have zero effect on how well a player can actually play.
He is good player . Obviously I am in the minority as far as liking team defense more . Each to their own. He is a cog in a machine at Hawthorn. Playing to the top end of his ability which is a decent level but he was playing that level early as well when they could not find form and had a few key players out. He is very much a cherry on the top player .

Last edited:
I dunno, letting a good kick go because he can't defend, while keeping bad kicks that also can't defend seems a bit counter-intuitive.

To add, I'd suggest it's a lot easier to teach someone to defend in a system than to turn a poor kick into a good one (or great one in Massimo's case).

Looking at the type of players the club drafts, especially at the higher end, it seems they undervalue the most fundamental skill in the game.

wow this is crazy, the club makes one little mistake and everyone jumps on them

I donā€™t see how it can be viewed as a little mistake.

Hawthorn have conceded the fewest points in the comp over the past 9 rounds with him as a wingman yet he was the one we singled out a liability defensively.

Heā€™s only what 21 as well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I donā€™t see how it can be viewed as a little mistake.

Hawthorn have conceded the fewest points in the comp over the past 9 rounds with him as a wingman yet he was the one we singled out a liability defensively.

Heā€™s only what 21 as well?
I must admit it is confusing they've managed to survive Massimo, when we had to get rid of him or our team defense would be completely undone.

I must admit it is confusing they've managed to survive Massimo, when we had to get rid of him or our team defense would be completely undone.
Maybe we wanted a player that was prepared to do what the coach wanted and not run around behind his back complaining about it ..........

Sheezel wanted to come to us but his defensive stuff is average so we said no.
Don't be silly. If Sheezel came we'd have to get rid of Martin. Can't fit 22 AFL quality players into a team.

Maybe we wanted a player that was prepared to do what the coach wanted and not run around behind his back complaining about it ..........
Young kid says young kid things, better trade him for a pick we'll never use.

Great coaching Brad

It's pretty easy to rubbish the decision in hindsight, but with the body of work in front of the decision makers at the time it wasn't unreasonable. He'd been in and out of the side showing inconsistent flashes and not really impacting games. I doubt Scott gives him the unaccountable wing role he needed to achieve what he has at the Hawks, and I suspect if we had given him more years we'd be sitting in this thread right now wondering why.

It's pretty easy to rubbish the decision in hindsight, but with the body of work in front of the decision makers at the time it wasn't unreasonable. He'd been in and out of the side showing inconsistent flashes and not really impacting games. I doubt Scott gives him the unaccountable wing role he needed to achieve what he has at the Hawks, and I suspect if we had given him more years we'd be sitting in this thread right now wondering why.

Heaps of us called it rubbish when it happened. All this unaccountable wing role stuff is copium to make people feel better. We've tried Kelly, Heppell, Cox, Jones, Menzie and Tsatas on a wing trying to find something we could've had with Massimo.

Bad call then, looks worse now, is not the reason we won't be a good side, I just think trying to justify it looks silly.

Heaps of us called it rubbish when it happened. All this unaccountable wing role stuff is copium to make people feel better. We've tried Kelly, Heppell, Cox, Jones, Menzie and Tsatas on a wing trying to find something we could've had with Massimo.

Bad call then, looks worse now, is not the reason we won't be a good side, I just think trying to justify it looks silly.
I went back to page 30 where he was traded and there weren't that many calling it that.

Ant certainly picked it like a dirty nose though:
It is not that he is a dud . The problem is the issues that saw everyone pass on him in the ND are still there. He is slow to react defensively . We took a chance as he is a good kid with exceptional skills and his second efforts can not be questioned. He simply has shown no improvement in his reaction time as far as transitioning into the next phase of play. Have watched him live in the VFL a few times this year with the view of looking at exactly if he had improved and when you are solely watching what he is doing it becomes very obvious.
He is great with the footy in hand so if you can find a role where he does not have to defend at all and can just kick the footy he will probably win a Brownlow Medal.
I suspect you guys are hoping you can do something with his reaction time that we could not. If he was an average kick he would not have been drafted at all.

pretty easy at the time too, thought he was one of our best up and comers, yet we keep guys like hind kelly and heppell

Weā€™ve been defensively trash for a decade and if the call needs to be made to not reward a player who is poor defensively with a longer contract then so be it.

Sometimes it happens. The Suns let Wright go for peanuts yet heā€™s important (albeit with his own limitations), are they atrocious list managers for letting him go to another club?
Look I'm late to the party but... Gold Coast (the guys who gave up a top ten pick and a player for a future third round pick) atrocious list managers? Perish the thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back