Autopsy 42 point win(wut) vs Adelaide (Joel kicks 9 OMG!!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Eventually a top 4 contender is going to back their system to apply intense pressure for the entire 4 quarters.

We played roughly 2.5 quarters this evening 2 VERY good quarters but alas the point remains.
Whether a top 4 contender can apply sufficient pressure for that long however is a big question - especially because it has to take away from their strengths in doing so. Going to be very interesting to see how tactically other good teams try to find a way to beat us at the back end of the season, and whether we are good enough to work through those challenging moments that will come as a result of it.

Yeah but like I said we didn't actually start that badly v Carlton, Geelong yeh bit flat I guess, but we generally are better when its a better team.

Also why are other teams eventually playing 4 quarters of super duper pressure, but we arent eventually just flogging them from the first second? Maybe we are building towards flogging someone grand final day.

Yep at this stage is no team can sustain that sort of effort against us nor go with us for the whole game.

There's obviously a tonne of positives but I was pretty disappointed with chad tonight. Played a very selfish game, blazing away, ignoring teammates and seems more interested In taking players on and looking for contact rather than making the team play.

Another negative was Campbell's game. Can't fault his effort, but he really lost all composure tonight. Every one of his kicks seemed to be a dump kick. Severely down on confidence
Sadly I have to agree. While Chad did some good things I found myself yelling at the TV "NO CHAD" quite a few times as he tried to make the star play instead of a simple handpass or long kick to the contest. Put his teammates out of position so often.
Campbell I think was given a shot tonight and he knew it and was overwhelmed. Panicky, slid off tackles one of his worst.
There were a few others who had down games compared to recent form so it should be an interesting review.
A fair bit of the delivery to Amartey was made look better by his efforts. Huge game by him, best if his career so far. Really imposed himself in the air and on the ground too.

I thought Blues game they got 4 quick and they start well but we tackled hard and looked on.

Cats similar.
tonight we actually dominated play and just looked sloppy and off.

Guess not all "slow starts" are equal is my point, plus the opposition fire up to play us.
it like Pies winning so many close ones last year, people kept saying all the way to the flag, can't keep doing that.

Id prefer we get the lead quicker than the last 2 weeks.
Watching some of the highlights back, a lot Adelaide’s goals came about from innocuous forward entries that were long bombs/high balls to a pack, that just so happened to get marked. Probably more to do with our lazy defending early on than the Crows being better.

our biggest disposal getters are front half players, completely suffocated the crows as the game wore on

our 4th quarters were shit last year, and we clearly play till the game end this year

we've just forgotten how to play the 1st quarter
The reason for the turn around in 4th quarters is Grundy. Last year McClean was having to do a lot of the work himself and couldn't run games out. Our backup ruck options were terrible so teams would dominate those periods. This meant extra petrol tickets being spent in the first 3 quarters by a young midfield against than other clubs were. This year 2 rucks that are AFL standard which means more clearance wins, more time in forward half and less petrol tickets spent by the midfield.

Watching some of the highlights back, a lot Adelaide’s goals came about from innocuous forward entries that were long bombs/high balls to a pack, that just so happened to get marked. Probably more to do with our lazy defending early on than the Crows being better.

Yep they took every chance and we tried to be fancy

Horse was very calm about it in the press conference. But he did make the valid point that, while the scoreboard didn't look great tonight or last week, it was primarily a case of the opposition taking all their chances, and of us not doing the same in that early period. Not a case of being blown off the park in terms of the general run of play. Which I think was a very valid point to make.

It is a worry - but I do agree the mentality of this team seems to be that they believe no team can go with them for a complete game, if we play anywhere near our best.

The scary part is I don't think we are playing anywhere near our best, but still routinely beating teams with comfort and ease. As long as we can find that 'button' to take it to the next level at the end of the season in the biggest games - it is going to take an enormous effort from any team to take it to us for a complete game and beat us. Maybe they will - only time will tell.
I thought the same thing listening to that. We have been a little unlucky. Both Geelong and Crows were nailing absolutely everything early on despite not dominating general play or inside 50s.

Eventually a top 4 contender is going to back their system to apply intense pressure for the entire 4 quarters.

We played roughly 2.5 quarters this evening 2 VERY good quarters but alas the point remains.
So far no other team has shown they have the stamina to apply the kind of pressure they would need to for four quarters.

The reason for the turn around in 4th quarters is Grundy. Last year McClean was having to do a lot of the work himself and couldn't run games out. Our backup ruck options were terrible so teams would dominate those periods. This meant extra petrol tickets being spent in the first 3 quarters by a young midfield against than other clubs were. This year 2 rucks that are AFL standard which means more clearance wins, more time in forward half and less petrol tickets spent by the midfield.
Great call out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com
Hawthorn had the same number of wins as us in 2014, 2% worse, head to head record that year was 1-1 and they had a worse run with injuries during the year.

Still a long way to go this year, but it’s a different situation to 2014 so far.

There's obviously a tonne of positives but I was pretty disappointed with chad tonight. Played a very selfish game, blazing away, ignoring teammates and seems more interested In taking players on and looking for contact rather than making the team play.

Another negative was Campbell's game. Can't fault his effort, but he really lost all composure tonight. Every one of his kicks seemed to be a dump kick. Severely down on confidence
We also only managed to finish the round on 149.8%. Gonna be hard fronting up to work on Monday.

In seriousness though, I have to agree the Chad was selfish. You sort of live with it, because it's part of his DNA and what makes him the player he is. But it would be good if Warner was able to temper his game when it's not quite working. However, in saying that, you don't want a player like him playing within his limits, because it's how he pushes the boundaries that makes him the dangerous player he is. Just needs a little more maturity in his game, because he does go for the highlight reel plays more often than not.

I thought the same thing listening to that. We have been a little unlucky. Both Geelong and Crows were nailing absolutely everything early on despite not dominating general play or inside 50s.
It was our forward line delivery tonight that cost us early. That last kick into the 50 several times in Q1 was just awful - not to anyone's advantage, or straight to a fruit tingle. Once we adjusted, we were okay. But took quite a while, and they couldn't miss early.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 42 point win(wut) vs Adelaide (Joel kicks 9 OMG!!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back