Player Watch #43: Brynn Teakle

Remove this Banner Ad

are you saying you believe there are 1000s of young men across Australia who could play at the top level?
Easily has been thousands that could have but ready to step up now would be far fewer.

I remember playing against a bloke called phil bramley once, bloke turned up to a scratch match with 2 chicks in the car, came on the field with a night club stamp on his hand and was prolly 10 kegs overweight and proceeded to kick a lazy double figure bag of which we shuffled 4 decent defenders on him who he beat them all.

A quick google shows he kicked tons all over the place. Obviously never went on the play in the bigtime but i suspect it wasnt due to lack of talent.

Last edited:
The gap in footballing talent between guys who make it at AFL level as C graders. And those who end up plugging away in the state leagues or dominating local footy, really isn't as great as it appears.
Why you see guys like Stewart, Kelly, Pods, Barlow etc step up to the level straight away. There are also some with A or B potential waiting to be unearthed and just haven't had the opportunity.

The difference between those who make it and those who don't, is first and foremost down to application and the desire to make the most of their ability. Then it's largely being in the right place at the right time to get noticed, and ending up at the right club where's there's a role for him to play and a good development system.

are you saying you believe there are 1000s of young men across Australia who could play at the top level?
Possibly. Its crazy how many talented kids there are who never made it because they didn't have the motivation at the time or whatever. Some of the best players I ever saw never made it and I went to school with guys who played in AFL premiership teams.

One year at Nimbin we were struggling for numbers and somehow jagged that year's Stawell gift winner as a ring in. There was also this little aboriginal kid, never played before, who was actually faster than him at times on the field. Freakily fast. Had a knack for winning the ball too.

Within a year he was in jail for murder. He was only just 18. That's an extreme case but so many talented young guys in rural Australia.

Possibly. Its crazy how many talented kids there are who never made it because they didn't have the motivation at the time or whatever. Some of the best players I ever saw never made it and I went to school with guys who played in AFL premiership teams.

One year at Nimbin we were struggling for numbers and somehow jagged that year's Stawell gift winner as a ring in. There was also this little aboriginal kid, never played before, who was actually faster than him at times on the field. Freakily fast. Had a knack for winning the ball too.

Within a year he was in jail for murder. He was only just 18. That's an extreme case but so many talented young guys in rural Australia.
Seen a few blokes take the wrong path as well, and like yourself played with 2 very talented aboriginal players, one made a series of bad decisions and the other made a single fatal decision, seems to be some better pathways these days, Local exports Tippa and Irving Mosquito got their chances but historically many others didn't. and thats only the Indigenous players, Eric Lissendon who i played juniors against really didnt have an appetite to go to Melbourne and only Dennis Pagens perseverance saw him have a go. He seemed pretty happy in life at the time kicking bags on chumps like me. Even after losing interest in AFL he didnt even care to go out to the boons and cash in, dont know what he actually got up to but would have been just as happy processing timber at a sawmill imo.

I coached this kid who won the JL Williams medal (and topped the goal kicking iirc) in the u15 national championships one year. Never played because he stacked a motorbike and hurt his leg swimming in a creek. Back in the late 00s and clubs weren't interested in kids who weren't stupidly over committed.

He used to get flown around the country to play footy for over $1000 a game, sometimes up to $5K at his peak.

That year he won that medal there were four kids from Kyogle, a town of about 3000 people, in the NSW state side. Surely that must happen all the time. Remember what Clarkson said about his home town and how many good footy players came from there cos it was in *s zone and they dedicated resources to developing junior players.

Players are athletes these days but you watch old games and the skills are rarely as good. Back in the day every town and every suburb had at least footy club and there was **** all else to do for young guys compared to the options they have now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He straightens us up big time. Forward line looks mobile as there's less than 2 on ones now.
Goes to show how shit CCJ is.
The idea was right but backing in Coleman to do what Teakle is doing now is foolish.

Sounds weird saying it but I get the feeling he can set himself up for a 5+ year career with another 4 games like these last two.

He’s come at a time where just having a competent contest at CHF has made such a dramatic difference in the teams performance. Can really set himself up for a genuine go at this, which is pleasing as his interview on RSN he said all his eggs are in this basket.

Been a real solid contributor

Stuck a couple nice marks that caught me off guard because I'm not used to them sticking, lately.
Yeah theres been more than a couple he's taken clean when you just expect it to be spoiled. Hands must be like a vice.

Makes you wonder what he might be like with a couple more years under his belt.

Yep him and pink have to take their chances or someone else will.
I feel if we are going /wanting to keep both Pink & Teackle in the same side . They need to find at least 1 goal each a game as a bare minimum. Maybe Teackle gets more of a pardon cos he is quite a good ruck. I think if Pink was not injured (not sure what was the injury- I was at the game ) he needed to be subbed in the last quarter. We needed a bit more run & the long bombs to him & Teackel were beginning to become predictable.
Smart move by Clarko. The forward line looked dangerous in the last quarter. The scoring end for some reason for the whole game. Punt rd . End .

Set shot, front of goal, perfect conditions.

1 behind

Can’t be dishing up that, aside from the good stuff
And the GoDees were extremely accurate. Works in roundabouts doesn’t it ? Last week we were the accurate team . If only 1-2 of those set shots went in . I remember Pink ,Teackel & Ford in particular after his huge hanger over Gawn Punt Rd. End were all very gettable inside 50 shots.
2 other shots from outside 50 Larkey Punt rd . End & someone else City end looking great off the boot & distance but died right on the goal line !
Many chances . 2 weeks in a row we were the better side on all stat markers , 4 points were would have been a huge reward for effort but the learnings are just as good at this stage. The W will come very soon .

I feel if we are going /wanting to keep both Pink & Teackle in the same side . They need to find at least 1 goal each a game as a bare minimum. Maybe Teackle gets more of a pardon cos he is quite a good ruck. I think if Pink was not injured (not sure what was the injury- I was at the game ) he needed to be subbed in the last quarter. We needed a bit more run & the long bombs to him & Teackel were beginning to become predictable.
Smart move by Clarko. The forward line looked dangerous in the last quarter. The scoring end for some reason for the whole game. Punt rd . End .

“Smart move…”

Stop the pressers!!!

Excited Freak Out GIF by Adult Swim

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #43: Brynn Teakle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back