Player Watch #43: Brynn Teakle

Remove this Banner Ad

He showed a bit that’s for sure but gee wizz just shows you how starved we are for forward/rucks when a lot are going the early crow with him. It was x1 game. Let’s see if he can continue to produce..

I think what has many of us excited is that he showed that he can actually produce at AFL level, especially given the negativity that accompanied his drafting (in equal parts from this Board's resident whiners and salty Port posters).

We were all hoping it wouldn't just be Tyler Sellers Mk II, i.e. completely out of his depth, and it's a relief that it wasn't.

I think what has many of us excited is that he showed that he can actually produce at AFL level, especially given the negativity that accompanied his drafting (in equal parts from this Board's resident whiners and salty Port posters).

We were all hoping it wouldn't just be Tyler Sellers Mk II, i.e. completely out of his depth, and it's a relief that it wasn't.
Sellers wouldn’t be the first young player to look out of his depth in his first game. Especially considering how shit we were playing. Look at Larkey in his first game. Both Sellers and Teakle may or may not make it. Too early to tell.

Sellers wouldn’t be the first young player to look out of his depth in his first game. Especially considering how shit we were playing. Look at Larkey in his first game. Both Sellers and Teakle may or may not make it. Too early to tell.
Define making it? just want someone to be able to bring it to ground untill we get a genuine 1st banana to free up souva, may not be either of those blokes but given we wont be trading for one there is a lot to happen fefore we draft and develop one.possibly 4 sessons.

Perhaps you missed my point. Put another way, yes Sellers might be up to the level but he hasn't shown it yet. Teakle showed it in one game. Not saying he was dominant or automatic 22, but that he is worth keeping on the list and can play a (valuable) role.

Perfect foil for X.
Not afraid to throw his weight around and get involved.
Can mark too.

CCJ sitting at home thinking my career is just about done.
Already played more good games in a North jumper after one game than CCJ has in his entire time with the club.

Again no world beater, but played his role that allowed others to play theirs.

Pleasing to see Teakle do so well on debut for us. The elephant in the room is the young ruck we took in the first round last year who touched the ball just once in the VFL. He's going to be a slow burn.

The comparison to Sellers isn't a fair one... that wasn't Teakle's first AFL game....

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Perhaps you missed my point. Put another way, yes Sellers might be up to the level but he hasn't shown it yet. Teakle showed it in one game. Not saying he was dominant or automatic 22, but that he is worth keeping on the list and can play a (valuable) role.
Its not really about comparisons of who firms us up now, but in 2 years. He buys us some time for more development and perminant 2nd ruck and key fwd options.

Alternatively he makes the gig his going forward. But at least we have a starting point.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Five minutes ago, everything was Brady Rawlings' fault, but a promising pick in the MSD is all down to Thursfield.

It would be interesting to see Sellers get a run if a forward line where he is third tall rather than second.

I hazard a guess he would fair a bit better than his baptism of fire.

I thought he was more than serviceable yesterday, doing a lot of work that we haven't had anyone else available to do this year. He may not be a star, but he definitely contributed and showed the confidence to call for a handball over the top from Larkey and kick the goal that put us momentarily back in front.

He is a scrapper. Offers us something in the ruck and another option up forward so they aren’t triple teaming Larkey. His output is better than anything Rory Lobb would offer us. Good MSD pick up 🤝

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #43: Brynn Teakle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back