Player Watch #43: Brynn Teakle

Remove this Banner Ad

by studding his boots???

accept it CCJs ship has sailed along with biggies, the richmond reject program is officially dead. the dream is over.
I've sat pretty much behind the goals on L1 for several matches this season and was able to watch CCJ up close in quite a few forward entry contests.

I do recall him taking a good mark but for the majority of the occasions when the ball was coming in he was easily outmaneuvered by opponents and annoyingly, in quite a few of the cases, he didn't actually leap in an attempt to spoil leaving the defence to easily mark the ball. I suspect that he realised he was not going to take the mark himself so he might have hoping for the ball to spill out the back for a Joe the Goose.

Ligma pointed out above, the lack of forward craft. I can see that good defenders can often take the front position and how that can result in the forward being beaten in the air but I would expect to see a punch from behind or even a crash into the pack that might cause the ball to hit the deck.

With Pink and even more so with Teaks, the ball has been kept alive even when they don't take marks. A small crumber will ultimately be able to capitalise if we can find or develop one, but even now it brings Paul Curtis into the game, plus Zurhaar (if he's interested), Sheezel and Taylor as well without them always having to compete in marking contests.

At this point Teakle has made CCJ completely redundant. They play the same role and he is playing it better than CCJ ever has.

Obviously a small sample size but when you factor in the achilles, I'd be surprised if CCJ even plays another five games when you factor in Xerri's development as well
The point is teakle has shown he can be very dangerous forward and can play a more KPF role as opposed to second ruck role which CJ could do

The point is teakle has shown he can be very dangerous forward and can play a more KPF role as opposed to second ruck role which CJ could do

Hence "when you factor in Xerri's development as well"

The amount of time X spends in the ruck is only going to increase over the next 2-3 seasons. I actually don't think CCJ is the worst ruck going around but there's no place for him if X and Teakle are both in the side

Hence "when you factor in Xerri's development as well"

The amount of time X spends in the ruck is only going to increase over the next 2-3 seasons. I actually don't think CCJ is the worst ruck going around but there's no place for him if X and Teakle are both in the side
You’d trade Coleman-Jones for anything you can get.

One of the worst list management decisions since the dawn of time.

By allowing to teakle to play mainly forward

Cj as the second ruck
but he cant ruck! and after the achilies will be aven more of a liability, its hard to actually comprehend where you see the 22 better with ccj in? who goes out?? oh thats right, scott and pink...

and thats not even taking into account leaving a spot for finbar maley to come in and crash the packs!

You’d trade Coleman-Jones for anything you can get.

One of the worst list management decisions since the dawn of time.
you would actually just pay him out while we have room in the cap and take it as penance for such a poor decision. In ccjs defence the club did offer him the contract, he would have been silly not to sign it.

you would actually just pay him out while we have room in the cap and take it as penance for such a poor decision. In ccjs defence the club did offer him the contract, he would have been silly not to sign it.
Yeah, it’s not his fault.

The desperation to land him was the issue.

well i argue he cant but the bigger issue is where do you hide him for the 80 percent of the game X is rucking?? rotating off the bench is the most stupid suggestion when you could have a quality mid like will there and are stealing rotations which are capped of course.

so in a nutshell you have conceded he has no fwd craft and would have him sitting on the bench chopping out X for 5 mins at the end of each quarter, even this sucks as you would want X on at the end of quarters when the game is in the balance, imagine a close game going into the last 5 mins with X stuck on the bench and CCj rucking, may as well just forfeit the game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

even worse, so he is forward getting in teakles and souvas way with the game in the balance, do you even think out these fantasies??
No he’s providing another avenue to goal unlike pink

But allowing teakle to stay forward whilst he goes and chops out X

It’s pretty simple in terms of talent teakle>CJ>pink

Teaks was also ignored on the lead a couple of times during the game. Players obviously still looking for Larks, PC and Zurhar. Could have been hit up a couple more times IMO.
His time will come...

I've got no doubt he knows this is probably his last chance at afl, he ain't going to leave any stone untuned, will be my one to watch over the preseason. he's a lot more skilled than I thought, he releases a lot of plays on the wing pretty quickly.

Last edited:
His time will come...

I've got no doubt he knows this is probably he's last chance at afl, he ain't going to leave any stone untuned, will be my one to watch over the preseason. he's a lot more skilled then I thought, gives of a lot of plays on the wing pretty quickly.
His time will come… come?

Or like Alistair Clarkson, his time will come?

Teaks was also ignored on the lead a couple of times during the game. Players obviously still looking for Larks, PC and Zurhar. Could have been hit up a couple more times IMO.
You're right - he was wide open and ignored regularly. He had to take pack marks for his two goals. If we actually start kicking it to him when he's free, watch out.

Last edited:
No he’s providing another avenue to goal unlike pink

But allowing teakle to stay forward whilst he goes and chops out X

It’s pretty simple in terms of talent teakle>CJ>pink
Talent alone don't mean shit when you have the IQ of an ant, Sleevo and CCJ are prime example,s and fwiw CCJ don't even have talent, got by with his height and the old big blokes take time slogan. Richmond could clearly see 4 years ago what you still haven't figured out.

There's not a parallel universe anywhere where CCJ makes the snap pink made on the weekend, let alone even gathering it cleanly. you would have seen it as well if you were not wearing your blinkers.

go back and watch the first 4 games, especially the one down at tassie, CCJ was Horrible other than an assey bomb from the middle of the ground. you claim you give players at least half a game, he stunk it up for 16 quarters!

Last edited:
I still can’t believe that when we drafted this bloke, I made a tongue in cheek comment about him making the All Australia, and now he most likely will. How good.
The footy gods are cruel but they also have a damn good sense of humour, this time next year you'll be claiming you are the footy trade whisperer for seeing what no-one else could, AA baby..

the amount of vitriol this guy copped for being picked up was astounding, Goldie thread reincarnated

I've been waiting for us to pick up a big man in the Luke Jackson mould for years, we finally got one, mullet and all.

Exciting player.

Player Watch #43: Brynn Teakle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back