Player Watch #43 Jacob Bauer

Remove this Banner Ad

Only saw the pre draft highlights for this guy and thought he looks good - for those who watched the VFL what is the final verdict and do we need to do anything with him re list spot?

Only saw the pre draft highlights for this guy and thought he looks good - for those who watched the VFL what is the final verdict and do we need to do anything with him re list spot?
He showed glimpses and had a strong finish. 16 goals in 9 games including 8 in his last 3 (also averaged over 12 disposals and 7 marks in those last 3 games). Competes well, attacks the ball hard in the air and has good hands and a nice kick. Don't think he'll ever be a key target but could be a dangerous 2nd or 3rd tall. Reminds me a lot of Brodie Mihocek actually. He will benefit massively from his first pre season and can see him breaking into the seniors for a few games next year.

He will stay on the rookie list for 2023 as he was one of the handful of players from the MSD to nominate an 18 month contract if drafted.

He showed glimpses and had a strong finish. 16 goals in 9 games including 8 in his last 3 (also averaged over 12 disposals and 7 marks in those last 3 games). Competes well, attacks the ball hard in the air and has good hands and a nice kick. Don't think he'll ever be a key target but could be a dangerous 2nd or 3rd tall. Reminds me a lot of Brodie Mihocek actually. He will benefit massively from his first pre season and can see him breaking into the seniors for a few games next year.

He will stay on the rookie list for 2023 as he was one of the handful of players from the MSD to nominate an 18 month contract if drafted.
Love his second efforts and attack on the ground ball as well. Gets amongst it like a midfielder. Strong hands and a good kick. Plenty to like.

If he can develop into a leading target and apply pressure then he adds to our forward line. Even if we end up with Lynch + an undersized KPF in Bauer + Dusty + Shai + Taranto + Cumbers + MRJ + whoever then we've still got a solid forward line

Wish he was 5cm taller and could genuinely groom him to succeed JR as a tall forward.

He's basically big mid/winger size in the modern game. Same height as Macintosh basically with a bit less muscle.

You realise the Richmond AFL site has Jacob as 192 cm tall and Jack as 193cm tall ?? lol

You realise the Richmond AFL site has Jacob as 192 cm tall and Jack as 193cm tall ?? lol
Always a bit misleading I think, I've seen Jack listed as high as 195cm before, and looking at Bauer he looks a bit more smaller than Jack.

Mind you, JB is younger so maybe he has a couple of cm growth still left in him? But I still think he's probably more you're medium marking forward rather than a true key.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bauer reminds me of a raw Tim Membrey. He has a few tricks & will be a good 3rd tall. If we can get Bauer, Cumberland, Jack, Lynchy, Dusty, Shai, Rioli & Clarke in the mix, working together it could be very potent forward line. With the additions in the mids & the backline together at the start of next season, it might be an amazing start to 2023.

Checked VFL stats. He ave's 1 less disposal than Van Rooyen & ave's 1 more mark per game than JVR. As we all know JVR was a 1st rd pick & also plays for a side that lost 1 game in the VFL all yr. Off no pre season & only 3-4 mths in the AFL system that ain't bad.
No Pre season

Thats massive for a kid like Bauer
The next 5 months building his fitness and learning game plan as well as playing against Broad,Grimes,Tarrant,Gibcus etc
and learning from Jack & Tom

Im looking foward to this kids development

No Pre season

The next 5 months building his fitness and learning game plan as well as playing against Broad,Grimes,Tarrant,Gibcus etc

I should also add JV gl per game (36.12) from 17 games, Bauer (16.12) from 9 games.

Checked VFL stats. He ave's 1 less disposal than Van Rooyen & ave's 1 more mark per game than JVR. As we all know JVR was a 1st rd pick & also plays for a side that lost 1 game in the VFL all yr. Off no pre season & only 3-4 mths in the AFL system that ain't bad.
so what your saying is he is the next Tony Lockett?

VR kicked heaps more goals but

No Pre season

Wish I played SANFL … no pre-season.
You just turn up in March

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #43 Jacob Bauer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back