Player Watch #43 Jacob Bauer

Remove this Banner Ad

Checked VFL stats. He ave's 1 less disposal than Van Rooyen & ave's 1 more mark per game than JVR. As we all know JVR was a 1st rd pick & also plays for a side that lost 1 game in the VFL all yr. Off no pre season & only 3-4 mths in the AFL system that ain't bad.

There’s a real bias in how performances are compared in the afl. I drafted or rookie listed players are ignored while former 1st round picks are lauded anytime they have a decent game.

It speaks to the relative immaturity of AFL analysis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's competing with Cumberland for the 3rd marking target. It's going to be tough to get a gig up there next year. Lynch, JR8, Cumberland, Martin, Bolton, MRJ all look pretty locked in.
Spot on, it’ll be a tough forwardline to break into.
Hopefully he gets the opportunity to really push his case as a 3rd marking target in the 2s. There were occasions this year when he was the key marking target which he’s just not suited to at 191cm

The focus on his height is hilarious, he’s literally 1cm shorter than Jack. It’s nothing.
I’ve said it here before, but the focus on height is pretty irrelevant and misleading.

Two or three centimetres could easily be accounted for by the size of the head. You don’t mark or punch the ball with the top of your head.

It comes down to your reach and your leap. A couple of centimetres is often neither here nor there.

And skilled, early body work negates the opponent’s height as well

I’ve said it here before, but the focus on height is pretty irrelevant and misleading.

Two or three centimetres could easily be accounted for by the size of the head. You don’t mark or punch the ball with the top of your head.

It comes down to your reach and your leap. A couple of centimetres is often neither here nor there.

Speed , Smarts , Leap , Agility

Bailey Fritsch or Sam Wiedeman

I know who i would rather as a 2nd foward

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could have done with him today...

Took a bit to find and dig up this thread.
The thread where we picked up "Pass" had a more recent post.
Bradtke rightfully got the headlines with five goals on the weekend but arguably, Bauer had the better game overall.
I was really impressed with his game, especially considering he was fresh off an injury. He showed no hesitation and made plenty of aggressive leads and even crashed a few packs.
He feels like a natural replacement for Riewoldt due to his mobility.

It takes a bit for me to get excited about players. Bauer is definitely one of them though.

Bradtke rightfully got the headlines with five goals on the weekend but arguably, Bauer had the better game overall.
I was really impressed with his game, especially considering he was fresh off an injury. He showed no hesitation and made plenty of aggressive leads and even crashed a few packs.

It takes a bit for me to get excited about players. Bauer is definitely one of them though.
Against the Ants he had a noticeable spring and leap...

Not letting this one drift away into the depths of the dead Richmond BigFooty threads.
Was great again on the weekend.
My tip is that he will get a call up at AFL level at some stage this year.

Fades in and out of games too much at this stage, work rate isn't there yet. He often screams for the ball 60+m away from the play rather than working up the ground to be a viable option. Flies for big marks too often rather than making sure the ball hits the deck. Still very much a work in progress but plenty to work with.

Good stuff. I got to see no VFL last year. Catching half games this year. Good to see the depth players.

We have about 10 ways to "replace" JR. I hope we give a player a good trial. It has to be as a 3rd KPF unless Jack retires mid season.

1. A player JRs size like Bauer.
2. I was hoping to have a look at Miller in the fwd line after training in there preseason. But Young impressed enough to get past him as KPD.
3. Bradkte.
4. Gibcus
5. Balta. surprised how well he is playing KPD but He was best of the stand in KPF last year.
6. A smaller combo like Dusty and Cumberland
7. Trade in
8 Ryan. He looks so tall but acquitted himself in the ruck vs pies.

And the way we brought in Tarrant for Astbury makes me think the might do the same to replace JR.
I thought we had almost had enough depth with Balta Miller as we tend to play 2 195 kpd.
Then picked up gibcus.

Last edited:
Good stuff. I got to see no VFL last year. Catching half games this year. Good to see the depth players.

We have about 10 ways to "replace" JR. I hope we give a player a good trial. It has to be as a 3rd KPF unless Jack retires mid season.

1. A player JRs size like Bauer.
2. I was hoping to have a look at Miller in the fwd line after training in there preseason. But Young impressed enough to get past him as KPD.
3. Bradkte.
4. Gibcus
5. Balta. surprised how well he is playing KPD but He was best of the stand in KPF last year.
6. A smaller combo like Dusty and Cumberland
7. Trade in
8 Ryan. He looks so tall but acquitted himself in the ruck vs pies.

And the way we brought in Tarrant for Astbury makes me think the might do the same to replace JR.
I thought we had almost had enough depth with Balta Miller as we tend to play 2 195 kpd.
Then picked up gibcus.

I thinks a pretty good summation of replacements tora, but I think we're looking past Jack too. Lynch is probably our most important player atm but if he goes down we're going to need a big target to take his role. Only Ryan comes to mind atm. Bauer doesn't have the natural forward craft that Jack does. In fact, despite his lack of speed, Jack has become one of the competitions best forwards. Bauer has a long way to go before he has anywhere near the presence Jack has but he does have the ability and smarts to be a forward asset.

Bradkte is in a similar boat but needs to perform far more consistently to be noticed. It's all about work rate for mine. They have time but Ryan is our only real key forward replacement option atm. Playing Gibcus forward was a bit like when Dimma played Rance forward - no thanks. Balta has proven that his best place is in the backline too. Dusty and Cumberland are nboth strong forwards but not key forwards. When Jack retires soon, we need a tall target.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #43 Jacob Bauer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back