Past #44: Cruize Garlett - delisted at end of 2012 season after rejecting 1yr contract extension from NM

Remove this Banner Ad

Huge upside on Garlett for me and while the caoch is pouring games into youngsters that he feels are the future of the club, Garlett gets a few more senior games. I'd say he's just having trouble with the physicality of the AFL standard and Brisbane were very keen to hurt him last night when they had the chance.
Speedy, clean hands, good skills....he's worth an investment.

^^^^:thumbsu:

I just haven't seen anything from the Missile in Cruize that suggests he will make it as a player. For his size, he just seems a bit slow & his disposal is average.
Just turned 21 not long ago give him a bit more time ,he might not end up being a cruize missile but a [youtube]qrRc9so3OvM[/youtube]

Lower gives us another mature body in the centre and should be in the team at the moment. No hate from me, just query whether his disposal is up to scratch.

And ? Was it an issue earlier in the year ? Is it hurting us at the moment ?

Probably a bit like how Swallow’s field kicking still has a definite looping quality. Doesn't seem to be holding him back too much, so I guess there's hope for Ed yet. Luckily, I doubt either of them are in the side for their precision field kicking ability anyway. :first use of the ball face thingy

I just struggle with some poster's motivation. To use a random example, I have concerns over Pratt’s pace. But as far as I can tell it isn’t currently being exposed/doesn’t seem to be a glaring issue right at the moment so, call me weird, but I don’t feel the need to post that caveat every time I hear the bloke’s name mentioned on the board.

All seems a bit NMFC Est-ish to me.

Playing the hat stand will allow Hale to get the 2nd defender.

That is quality. :thumbsu:

TOD does seem to enjoy being involved in a Lower discussion though :thumbsu:

Shit, someone has to, man.

Let’s recap – after being one of our best performers in the pre-season (much to a few people’s surprise), the bloke was cruelled by injury, broke his leg, and since returning, didn’t put in a sub-20 possession game in the 2’s, was justifiably promoted on the weekend, came into the side after a long lay-off from AFL footy and, as witnessed by anyone with eyeballs, had an immediate impact, registering 10-odd first half possessions, and ending up with more touches for the game than Wellsy, Cunners, Greenhead, Garlett and a host of others. Absolutely played his part in our early midfield dominance. Even slotted a goal, almost two, (don’t we usually get the tissues and vaseline out when a midfielder kicks majors?), in a performance that saw him mentioned in the listed Bests.

And the only thing some people can think to say about all of that is "yeah, well, he’s not as good as Adams". You had posters on here last night rushing to downplay Ed’s performance as "adequate" and to point out, in case we’d missed it the first thousand or so times, that he’s "just a fringe player". In the wake of a victory where the guy has clearly made a positive contribution, I guess I just don’t get the motivation to do that.

Ffs, anyone else made that kind of positive return to the top level after a lengthy spell from a broken leg and y’all would be forming an orderly circle, dropping your strides, and reaching sideways.

As I said, I agree that Adams is the better player. But only one of the two is in the side atm, and if Ed continues to do his job each week, I have a feeling that’s where he’ll stay. If and when Adams comes back in (and I'm sure he will), obviously, there’s no prophecy written in stone stating that it MUST be for Lower.

Anyways, /rant.

Just my opinion, of course, but....

Backing a North player who’s delivering > Backing a call you made on the interweb

Let’s recap – after being one of our best performers in the pre-season (much to a few people’s surprise), the bloke was cruelled by injury, broke his leg, and since returning, didn’t put in a sub-20 possession game in the 2’s, was justifiably promoted on the weekend, came into the side after a long lay-off from AFL footy and, as witnessed by anyone with eyeballs, had an immediate impact, registering 10-odd first half possessions, and ending up with more touches for the game than Wellsy, Cunners, Greenhead, Garlett and a host of others. Absolutely played his part in our early midfield dominance. Even slotted a goal, almost two, (don’t we usually get the tissues and vaseline out when a midfielder kicks majors?), in a performance that saw him mentioned in the listed Bests.

And the only thing some people can think to say about all of that is "yeah, well, he’s not as good as Adams". You had posters on here last night rushing to downplay Ed’s performance as "adequate" and to point out, in case we’d missed it the first thousand or so times, that he’s "just a fringe player". In the wake of a victory where the guy has clearly made a positive contribution, I guess I just don’t get the motivation to do that.

Ffs, anyone else made that kind of positive return to the top level after a lengthy spell from a broken leg and y’all would be forming an orderly circle, dropping your strides, and reaching sideways.

As I said, I agree that Adams is the better player. But only one of the two is in the side atm, and if Ed continues to do his job each week, I have a feeling that’s where he’ll stay. If and when Adams comes back in (and I'm sure he will), obviously, there’s no prophecy written in stone stating that it MUST be for Lower.

Anyways, /rant.

Backing a North player who’s delivering > Backing a call you made on the interweb
+1 :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Good call TOD. 'twas great to see Ed back in the side and he more than held his own. Definitely in our best 22 (so is Patch and I think there is room for both there).

Anyways, /rant.

I'm with ya TOD, and the above post was a quality response. The bolded bit has "sig" written all over it! :squinty eyed knowing face of knowing

In all honesty, as much I'd like to say that Garlett has it, I am yet to see it either. I can't remember a decent senior game from him yet. At present, he is a midfield depth player at best. But that's not to say that he won't have a breakout game at some stage.

What are his main strength is the key question. It's not pace and skill, that's for sure.

I just struggle with some poster's motivation. To use a random example, I have concerns over Pratt’s pace. But as far as I can tell it isn’t currently being exposed/doesn’t seem to be a glaring issue right at the moment so, call me weird, but I don’t feel the need to post that caveat every time I hear the bloke’s name mentioned on the board.

All seems a bit NMFC Est-ish to me.

That's a bit harsh. When I am on here celebrating a Lower injury (won't happen and hopefully no more injuries) you can compare me to NMFC Est. I've also called for Lower's inclusion in recent few weeks and think he should remain in the team.

You had posters on here last night rushing to downplay Ed’s performance as "adequate".......If and when Adams comes back in (and I'm sure he will), obviously, there’s no prophecy written in stone stating that it MUST be for Lower.

I don't think 'adequate' is downplaying anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a bit harsh. When I am on here celebrating a Lower injury (won't happen and hopefully no more injuries) you can compare me to NMFC Est. I've also called for Lower's inclusion in recent few weeks and think he should remain in the team.

I am referring to your predilection to insert obligatory negative qualifiers when you mention Lower's name. I just don't see the express need for it when (a) these qualifiers have already been over-stated on this forum to the power of a several million, (b) these qualifiers are often kind of irrelevant to the discussion, and (c) the subject of these negative descriptors is actually doing fine.

Just seems a bit unnecessary to me. Churlish at best.

Think you'll find there were times when NMFC Est would post suggested sides with Lachie named at CHB. Still, it didn't stop him from doubting/dissing the guy every step of the way, even when a situation didn't really call for it.

Like after a win, when the bloke had just done his job.

I don't think 'adequate' is downplaying anything.

Despite its literal meaning, it is not a word that one normally associates with genuine praise. Although when you're apparently, quote, "not up to it" (TM), I guess it could technically be considered quite the compliment.

[Lower rant]

Anyways, /rant.

Feel better? ;)

Actually, in the same vein, I don't get the questioning of Cruize. Not saying he's set the world on fire yet, but along with Wright, Urquhart etc. etc. he's being given the chance to develop ffs. Of course I still miss Sam Powers and I'm sorry he got ditched so we could give the likes of Cruize a game. :rolleyes:

we play Garlett & Lower and look a much better side

coincidence ?

Not saying Garlett was brilliant, but did some good things and along with Lower was pretty instrumental in a much better defensive pressure effort.

Both will be better for the run too.

Patch Adams will be back in when fit

Im just pleased to see some of our so called 2nd tier midfielders play a role when picked

ps the Thomas & Hansen haters have been quiet lately ?..problems with your internet connections ?

In all honesty, as much I'd like to say that Garlett has it, I am yet to see it either. I can't remember a decent senior game from him yet.

He is a veteran of a whopping 8 games of AFL footy.

He has played 3 matches in 2010, and averages 15 disposals (8 contested) and 5 tackles from 80% TOG.

Give the kid some time. He has been serviceable.

I am referring to your predilection to insert obligatory negative qualifiers when you mention Lower's name. I just don't see the express need for it when (a) these qualifiers have already been over-stated on this forum to the power of a several million, (b) these qualifiers are often kind of irrelevant to the discussion, and (c) the subject of these negative descriptors is actually doing fine.

Just seems a bit unnecessary to me. Churlish at best.

Think you'll find there were times when NMFC Est would post suggested sides with Lachie named at CHB. Still, it didn't stop him from doubting/dissing the guy every step of the way, even when a situation didn't really call for it.

Like after a win, when the bloke had just done his job.

Despite its literal meaning, it is not a word that one normally associates with genuine praise. Although when you're apparently, quote, "not up to it" (TM), I guess it could technically be considered quite the compliment.

Fair point, I probably have mentioned it more than necessary.

With all the banter about garlett and lower and the outs fit or unfit IMO it is important to develp a core group who can step up if required during the year and in years to come.

Given if you have a good injury free year you will stiil turn over28 -32 players.We require the 50/50 players to have experience at the top level to develop.

All in all we are going ok in this process and yes there will ups and downs but have faith.compared to last year we are miles in front.

Lower was important. He added enough muscle and grunt to allow Ziebell some time off from getting mauled beneath packs and then get out in the open and allowed Cunnington to play from the goalsquare.

I thought he was good, especially early.

I'm sensing an inexplicable moderator lead crackdown on aliases this week.

Surely not.

The only way I could see that happening is if hilly was foolish enough to try to wind me up about Lower in another thread.

EDIT: That's one down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #44: Cruize Garlett - delisted at end of 2012 season after rejecting 1yr contract extension from NM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back