Past #44: Cruize Garlett - delisted at end of 2012 season after rejecting 1yr contract extension from NM

Remove this Banner Ad

Idiotic before or after he injured his calf? We will have to wait for next year ( or perhaps a final this year ) to see if Goodes can handle the man. I for one am looking forward to a re-match.

Cruize will go with him all day and demolish him both one on one and beat him on the lead. Bookmark it.

svKILDA-420x0.jpg

I think the thread failed on both serious and trolling criteria, with one notable exception! :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey, i was wondering how his fitness has been going this pre season, i was just looking at his stats and what staggered me was his very low GT% (had a season high of 73), i think if he increases his fitness we may very well have something special on our hands, as you look at the Fremantle game where he got the ball 29 times in only 56% of gametime and you wonder what his total would have got to had he played a more normal 75-85%

Cruize is a ball magnet, no doubt about that, and I think he is still a little underappreciated as a player. If his improvement curve continues throughout 2011, then he will definitley become an entrenched part of our midfield.

I have seen him mostly running laps at training in recent weeks along with Super Gav, Kennedy etc. He must still need some miles in his legs.

A lot of fans here place him just outside the 22, but he put in some fine performances last year, I think he'll be in the seniors from round 1. Especially if Bastinac is missing.

Could also hold down CHB in Narni's absence :p
Or is that way too 2010?

I'll be looking after Cruize Garlett's thread this year. Ever since draft expert Colin Wisbey ranked Cruize inside the top 15 of his draft year I've been keeping an eye on his form.

I agree with the sentiments posted above. He's rarely, if ever, included in anyone's "best 22" but I can't see him missing many games at all if he stays fit. In the VFL he carves up week in, week out and his AFL performances stack up well against any of our young midfielders.

Often mislabeled as a "goalsneek" small forward, Garlett is a genuine inside mid who excels at the stoppages. At his best he racks up clearances, hard ball gets, tackles and contested possessions. Brad Scott describes him as "one of the best one-touch midfielders going around". Along with his clean hands and stoppage nous, he has above average leg speed and uses the ball with great efficiency.

To give you an idea of how well he's been using the ball I thought I'd compare his 2010 disposal efficiency to some of our other midfielders. These stats can sometimes be misleading from game to game but Cruize is clearly one of our better ball users.

Harvey 78.06%
Garlett 76.68%
Wells 76.01%
Swallow 72.81%
Bastinac 70.94%
Cunnington 70.68%
Greenwood 67.10%
Anthony 66.87%
Ziebell 64.65%

There are a few areas that I hope to see him improve on this year to take his game to the next level.

Fitness: It's been pretty obvious that this is his main weakness. His aerobic capacity meant that he could only play very low amounts of game time last year. Even in that short time on the field you can occasionally see him struggling. Apparently he's one of the hardest trainers so we should see some results this year.

Damaging ball use: Cruize has an impressive, penetrating right boot that he doesn't use enough IMO. So far in his career he's put up big handball numbers. This is because he's normally under pressure and has to dispose quickly, but I would love him to unleash his kicking more often. He's also one of the few players we have who can nail a set shot at goal from outside 50. Last year we saw some beautiful foot skills but I want more.

Ball carry: Similar to the last point, I think he could really improve in this area. You will rarely see Cruize running with the ball - in fact he didn't have a running bounce all year. He has very good leg speed that he mainly uses to apply defensive pressure and win the race for loose ball gets. If he could use his pace to break away and carry the ball greater distances we would be a better side.

You just have to look at a couple of games he played late last year to see the potential this guy has:

Round 19 vs Fremantle:
29 disposals @ 86.21% efficiency
4 tackles
56% game time

Round 21 vs West Coast
20 disposals @ 80% efficiency
7 clearances
5 inside 50s
65% game time

By all reports he was one of the best players in the intra club.

Some reports:

Hamish McIntosh and Scott Thompson said:
Hamish: Cruize Garlett racking them up early.

Hamish: Cruize Garlett, best on.

Hamish: Cruize will have a great year. One of the best trainers.

Thompson: Cruize Garlett is a surprise to everyone else, but not to us. He's been training the house down.

Brad Scott said:
He’s worked really hard on his aerobic endurance over the pre-season. He’s probably one of the best one-touch midfielders going around. If he can really develop the other sides of his game the potential is limitless.

roos_fanatic08 said:
Garlett- His first half was very very impressive. Won 4-5 clearances and got a number of possessions around the ground. At one stage he was demanding the footy from urqs. Looked very very comfortable with the footy and his decision making under pressure has seemed to improve. However he did have a few clangers around the ground which resulted in turnovers.

He'll be lining up this Sunday in the first round of the NAB Cup.

From his first game he looked like a natural ball winner to me. Hopefully he continues to develop. What a drafting win that will be for North.

Glad you chose Garlett NC, your write ups on Lachie were great.

I'm Gonna have to keep a close eye on Garlett this year as i feel he could have a bit of Dane Swan (probably not as good, but we can hope) in him if he ever gets his fitness right

There are three players I've labelled as bolters this year: Jamie Macmillan, Ben Cunnington and Cruize.

It was suprising to read in an earlier thread this off season that few people had Cruize as a round 1 lock. I thought he showed very good signs with his football smarts, execution and determination to win every contest last year, with the only thing required being improved fitness. When he had the ball, he oozed class and when he didn't, his pressure was very impressive.

As NC has already pointed out the kid has genuine goal kicking ability and although this hasn't been a feature in the early part of his career, I can see him developing an Adams like ability to float forward and become a goal kicking mid, with maybe a couple more tricks up his sleeve.

Important to remember that he was initially drafted as a small forward and his bio on the club website confirms this & I reckon he's got all the indicators pointing to him being a little beauty.

Looking forward to the reports.

NAB Cup - Round 1

Garlett had a solid start to the year in Round one of the NAB Cup. Some had him in the top three votes and most would agree that he was one of the positives to come out of a pretty bad day.

Combined Stats
16 disposals (8k, 8hb) @ 81% efficiency
3 marks
3 tackles

Vs Geelong
Cruize started slowly in the first half with a couple of uncharacteristic fumbles and just two handballs. In the second half he racked up seven disposals through the midfield and rebounding out of defence. His kicking and vision was good and there was a boundary throw in where he showed very clean and quick hands to get the ball to Anthony then Atley. His four contested possessions was the second highest amount for us.

While his disposal was mostly clean, he had two clangers. The first was a scrappy left foot kick under pressure in the forward pocket. The second was a long kick marked by Enright after a great piece of play where Cruize attacked the contest hard, intercepted the ball and broke a tackle. Not really what you'd describe as bad clangers.

Vs Western Bulldogs
In the second game against the Bulldogs he played well again. This time his footskills were really on show coming out of the backline as Goldstein and Petrie were on the other end of beautifully weighted 40-50m kicks. The other effort of note was when he picked up the ball in the middle of the ground and fired a quick 20m handball for a goal assist to Lindsay Thomas. It looked simple but he did it perfectly and the ball hit Thomas in no time.

Overall

I thought it was a good performance first game back. Like the whole team, maybe his pressure was a bit down on usual. My opinion that he has very underrated kicking skills was reinforced and it was nice to see a kick to handball ratio of 1:1. Judging by some of the discussion on here, quite a few supporters were surprised by the way he played.

See for yourself:

[youtube]ekUvrYsrAvs[/youtube]

See for yourself:
Many thanks NC. I confess I didn't think Cruize, like most of our midfielders, did a lot and at one level that's true. But the overall performance, Healy/Russell's commentary and Cruize's own slick hands add up to make some of his best work 'invisible'.

I can see him joining Wells, Adams and Bastinac as running midfielders who dispose of the ball well, if he can carry the ball a bit more, as you suggest. There is a hint of Cable about those hands eh?

Love the idea of integrating a highlights package, was a good watch and gee he is a good user of the ball, that kick to goldy in particular was great.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #44: Cruize Garlett - delisted at end of 2012 season after rejecting 1yr contract extension from NM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back