Past #44: Farren Ray - retires after 209 AFL games (4 for NM) - thanks Faz Raz

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm liking Farren Ray more after reading the interview on the website. He has certainly had a very good career at the Saints in particular and my main query was not so much his ability but his age and the need to keep bringing in younger players.

But at 29, he may well have 2 to 3 good years in him and may well be one of the best pick ups of this draft. I hope so anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Continue taking picks in the draft / sky is falling when we pick up a mature age recruit with a lot of good experience who isn't stealing game time off anyone...during a flag tilt.

We are a hyperventilating bunch aren't we?

Had to larf was having a meeting with a North employee ( part time) and we decided to check our rookie list selections- he near fell over when seeing Ray's name. He did ask me was this an old rookie draft list I wasn't sure and checked. Yep 2015.

Personally don't care we've a lot of youth for a very old side is what I'm thinking.

Continue taking picks in the draft / sky is falling when we pick up a mature age recruit with a lot of good experience who isn't stealing game time off anyone...during a flag tilt.

We are a hyperventilating bunch aren't we?
I'm not happy unless I'm whinging about something.

Look at this Werribee 22 posted by Pykie. A bunch of inexperienced kids for the most part

FB: Vickers-Willis Tippett Nielsen
HB: McDonald Durdin Hibberd
C: Mullett Dumont Fordham
HF: Wagner McKay Wood
FF: Nahas Black Turner
R: Daw Clarke McKenzie
I: Preuss, Mountford, etc etc

Reckon Ray has designs on coaching and whilst still being AFL capable will play VFL with these guys and available for AFL if need be. What we are talking about here is improving our development capabilities as we become a club with greater control over the use of its players.

He is a North player now and I accept him.

He doesn't cost much, and he adds depth and leadership. If needed he has the experience to do his role and get the job done. I'm in.

I wonder how many first round picks we have on our list now?

I'm liking Farren Ray more after reading the interview on the website. He has certainly had a very good career at the Saints in particular and my main query was not so much his ability but his age and the need to keep bringing in younger players.

But at 29, he may well have 2 to 3 good years in him and may well be one of the best pick ups of this draft. I hope so anyway.
I felt the same. Made me think, he is a North player who has chosen to join our club, and a human being who has mates already with us. Plus the comment from the club that he is with us for off field as well as onfield contributions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #44: Farren Ray - retires after 209 AFL games (4 for NM) - thanks Faz Raz

Remove this Banner Ad

Back