Play Nice 45th President of the United States: Donald Trump - Part 9 - The Shi'ites Hit The Fan (Cont. in Part 10, see OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing in “All the President’s Women” is shocking because this is the president the public has come to know.
All of it, however, is exhausting.
Authors Barry Levine and Monique El-Faizy describe the emotional and physical abuse that Trump heaps on so many different women that their stories begin to blur. But just in case a reader still has the stomach for more grotesquerie by the time the main narrative is finished, there’s a 70-page appendix filled with truncated tales of lascivious behavior — bonus nuggets of lechery.
The theme of this book is quite straightforward: The president is a pig.

pig.jpg

If he is removed from office, (cue comments to the effect that it’ll never happen), he’ll seem safe until suddenly he’s not.

Public opinion will decide this and we are bang in the middle of the period that determines what next

Agreed.

Right now it looks like it would be impossible to impeach Trump in the Senate, the numbers just aren't there. But the stories about the gap between the public and private side of Trump's support in the Senate suggest that there is the potential for the Republicans in the Senate to flip en masse if it becomes clear that Trump is going to take everyone down with him.

Jeff Flake, former Republican senator from Arizona, has said that if there was a private vote in the Senate then more than half of the Republicans would impeach Trump (https://www.economist.com/democracy...republican-senators-turn-against-donald-trump). Now, there won't be a private vote, so as long as Republicans feel that their political futures are tied to Trump then they will continue to bite their tongue and vote along party lines. But the open and forceful opposition among House and Senate Republicans towards Trump's Syrian policy in the last fortnight is evidence of a willingness of members of the legislative branch to differentiate themselves from the executive, and is perhaps an initial sign that Republican support for Trump should not be so readily assumed.

If we do get to a point where Senate Republicans abandon Trump then it will have happened very slowly... and then very, very quickly. But this will require a clear shift in public opinion beyond what has already happened. In the last month we have seen the support for impeachment suddenly jump from around 40%, where it had been pretty stable since basically the start of Trump's presidency, to 50%, where it appears to have hit a new plateau (https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/impeachment-polls/).

When Nixon resigned, quitting before he was certainly about to be impeached, polls had over 60% of people wanting him impeached (https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/it-took-a-long-time-for-republicans-to-abandon-nixon/). If you have a look at how public opinion moved, there were some similar plateaus in that timeline. There had been a plateau just under 40%. Then a plateau around 50%. It only jumped up to 60% right at the very end, after the Supreme Court unanimously ordered Nixon to hand over the tapes.

What could be the similar trigger this time? The last week hasn't been good for Trump on a number of fronts. The Bill Taylor testimony appears to be particularly damning, both for Trump and for some previous witnesses whose testimony he contradicted, such as Sondland. Giuliani is looking like he is under a lot of pressure, a bunch of his associates have already been arrested. This is starting to threaten people who were acting on direct instructions from Trump. If people like that start to flip, the whole house of cards comes tumbling down pretty quickly.

Agreed.

Right now it looks like it would be impossible to impeach Trump in the Senate, the numbers just aren't there. But the stories about the gap between the public and private side of Trump's support in the Senate suggest that there is the potential for the Republicans in the Senate to flip en masse if it becomes clear that Trump is going to take everyone down with him.

Jeff Flake, former Republican senator from Arizona, has said that if there was a private vote in the Senate then more than half of the Republicans would impeach Trump (https://www.economist.com/democracy...republican-senators-turn-against-donald-trump). Now, there won't be a private vote, so as long as Republicans feel that their political futures are tied to Trump then they will continue to bite their tongue and vote along party lines. But the open and forceful opposition among House and Senate Republicans towards Trump's Syrian policy in the last fortnight is evidence of a willingness of members of the legislative branch to differentiate themselves from the executive, and is perhaps an initial sign that Republican support for Trump should not be so readily assumed.

If we do get to a point where Senate Republicans abandon Trump then it will have happened very slowly... and then very, very quickly. But this will require a clear shift in public opinion beyond what has already happened. In the last month we have seen the support for impeachment suddenly jump from around 40%, where it had been pretty stable since basically the start of Trump's presidency, to 50%, where it appears to have hit a new plateau (https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/impeachment-polls/).

When Nixon resigned, quitting before he was certainly about to be impeached, polls had over 60% of people wanting him impeached (https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/it-took-a-long-time-for-republicans-to-abandon-nixon/). If you have a look at how public opinion moved, there were some similar plateaus in that timeline. There had been a plateau just under 40%. Then a plateau around 50%. It only jumped up to 60% right at the very end, after the Supreme Court unanimously ordered Nixon to hand over the tapes.

What could be the similar trigger this time? The last week hasn't been good for Trump on a number of fronts. The Bill Taylor testimony appears to be particularly damning, both for Trump and for some previous witnesses whose testimony he contradicted, such as Sondland. Giuliani is looking like he is under a lot of pressure, a bunch of his associates have already been arrested. This is starting to threaten people who were acting on direct instructions from Trump. If people like that start to flip, the whole house of cards comes tumbling down pretty quickly.
Very astute observation

Last edited:
Agreed.

I think if someone was so inclined they could probably pinpoint the exact point on a generic senate poll where the Republican Senate leadership would make concerned noises about upholding the constitution, hell they may even say things like putting the country ahead of partisan interest.

Would make a very interesting betting market at the least.

The issue for Senators is getting past the point where they can be subject to a primary challenge. The next consideration is does Trump enhance or detract from our chances in a general.

Astonishingly, this is very much like trials conducted in Ancient Rome. Which way will the mob go...

Oh, for the bloke who referenced Neitzsche; Rome is the archetypal moral Society for ubermensch not 21st century liberal democracies; even one as publicly callous as the US.

But I’ve got off topic a little...

Public opinion will decide this thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

shniko11, how do you come across all these twitter accounts that you just dump in this thread with no context or additional analysis and which generally turn out to be totally misinformed or willful misrepresentations of fact?

I mean, can you list a single person who is "terrified of the Durham Barr investigation"?

Surely before you start projecting the Republican's talking points on to that group of people we should first establish that they even exit?

Last edited:
T
shniko11, how do you come across all these twitter accounts that you just dump in this thread with no context or additional analysis and which generally turn out to be totally misinformed or willful misrepresentations of fact?

I mean, can you list a single person who is "terrified of the Durham Barr investigation"?

Surely before you start projecting the Republican's talking points on to that group of people we should first establish that they even exit?
They are after John Brennan and co. They just want an investigation to be in process during the run up to the election.

GOP lawmakers met President Trump Thursday in a bid to save his presidency. The strategy will involve a greater effort to discredit key witnesses, and a more confrontational approach to the nuts and bolts of the Democratic inquiry process.

Republicans hope to present the impeachment process as partisan, unwarranted and an outrageous attempt to overthrow the results of a democratic election. The illegal investigation of the Trump campaign by the intelligence agencies plays into this.

To continue to get the white working class to vote against their interests, they need to con them into believing that there are still certain real advantages of whiteness.

They are after John Brennan and co. They just want an investigation to be in process during the run up to the election.

GOP lawmakers met President Trump Thursday in a bid to save his presidency. The strategy will involve a greater effort to discredit key witnesses, and a more confrontational approach to the nuts and bolts of the Democratic inquiry process.

Republicans hope to present the impeachment process as partisan, unwarranted and an outrageous attempt to overthrow the results of a democratic election. The illegal investigation of the Trump campaign by the intelligence agencies plays into this.

To continue to get the white working class to vote against their interests, they need to con them into believing that there are still certain real advantages of whiteness.

I was going to add on to my previous post about what could trigger that spike in public approval for impeachment. You just know that Trump is going to continue to try and obstruct things as much as possible. Past impeachment proceedings have showed, though, that the cover up tends to be worse for the President than the crime.

I was going to add on to my previous post about what could trigger that spike in public approval for impeachment. You just know that Trump is going to continue to try and obstruct things as much as possible. Past impeachment proceedings have showed, though, that the cover up tends to be worse for the President than the crime.
The elected GOP reps are, by and large, still focused entirely on what is best for the Republican Party rather than the country and their constituents. We know in private the GOP Congressmen have always thought he is a despicable human being but it really has become the Party of Trump.

Just lie after lie after lie. It’s a process defence, an attempt to completely delegitimise what is taking place. If they thwart the impeachment probe then they will have been successful. But if in the end the House passes impeachment and there is a trial in the Senate, it will not be about process, they will have to defend on the underlying charges. So far we have yet to see any defence on the substance, which in part is because there is no factual dispute.

The White House under Trump really isn’t into long term strategy - which would have been owning it; saying “Yes I was holding up a meeting with Zalensky, Yes I was holding up the aid to Ukraine - to protect American tax dollars.” That’s a defence a good legal team could sustain, and may be difficult to categorically rebut. The poor use of one’s power is not akin to the ‘abuse of power’.

Last edited:

Thought you would have known who FLYNN is if you were here during the Meuller investigation but yeah he is a real person,Sidney Powell is his lawyer and it has to do with his case and information that is coming out from it through brady discovery material.

If you want to know more follow Techno Fog he is a lawyer with all the talking points and information coming out of it.

The Inspector General Horowitz is releasing his investigation findings into Fisa-gate soon.

Don't know why the Barr/Durnham comment bothers you so much and again it was in referance to the Democrats attacks on Barr not you personally.....you want one name lol i can assure you they are all real people aswell.

I know you are interested in the whole impeachment thing but believe it or not there are more than one thing being discussed in here at once.

Last edited:
Thought you would have known who Flynn is if you were here during the Meuller investigation but yeah he is a real person and it has to do with his case and information that is coming out from it.

If you want to know more follow Techno Fog he is a lawyer with all the talking points and information coming out of it.

The Inspector General Horowitz is releasing his investigation into Fisa-gate soon.

Don't know why the Barr/Durnham comment bothers you so much and again it was in referance to the Democrats attacks on Barr not you personally.

I know you are interested in the whole impeachment thing but believe it or not there more than one thing being discussed in here at once.

I know who Michael Flynn is. That wasn't an answer to my question. I didn't ask it because I was bothered by it or considered it a personal attack. I asked because it was an attack on a straw man that I don't believe exists, and so I questioned the point of it. The reason you can't answer the question is because apparently you are unable to think for yourself, all you are capable of is regurgitating talking points you got from someone else, talking points you have no capacity to verify or interrogate yourself. Your "contributions" add nothing of worth to this discussion.

I know who Michael Flynn is. That wasn't an answer to my question. The reason you can't answer that question is because apparently you are unable to think for yourself, all you are capable of is regurgitating talking points you got from someone else, talking points you have no capacity to verify or interrogate yourself.
Haha you are so enthralled in Impeachment that you are now shooting yourself in the foot Robbie

You seem bothered by the Barr/Durnham investigation.......keep talking about Impeachment and Democratic talking point no one is stopping you.

You ask questions and ask for proof for something you aren't interested in or know nothing about so just stop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back