Play Nice 45th President of the United States: Donald Trump - Part 9 - The Shi'ites Hit The Fan (Cont. in Part 10, see OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theoretically McConnell could run it that way. I think.
I don't know if he does.

The Senate has a guide for impeachment procedures: https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/resources/pdf/3_1986SenatesImpeachmentRules.pdf<

Key parts:

XX: At all times when the Senate is sitting upon a trial of an impeachment the doors of the Senate will remain open, unless the Senate shall direct the doors be closed while deliberating upon its decisions.

XXIII: Form of putting the question on each article of impeachment. The Presiding Officer shall first state the question; thereafter each Senator, as his name is called, shall rise in his place and answer: guilty or not guilty.

My takeaway from that is that it is certainly possible for the Senate to decide to close the doors, but ultimately the vote, doors open or closed, requires each Senator to identify their personal decision. If the doors are closed you can safely bet that we will know exactly who voted which way within seconds of it happening.

Depends on whether Trump is seen as a net positive or not... and indeed whether he’s seen as a republican.

But if it gets to that point then the reason for keeping the vote secret, individuals within the Republican party wishing to hide their disapproval of Trump, no longer carries any weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back