Player Watch #46: Robert Hansen Jnr - Extends to End 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

He does it because he loves it
Hungry Food GIF

Those highlights look exciting - someone that gathers ball at pace and cleanly - also when was the last time we saw one of our players roving packs

With a 19 year old raw kid, you want to see flashes in a game and signs of AFL-like traits. His game on the weekend had a plenty to get excited about. From a development point of view, this is about as bad as he'll ever be, and there's a ton there to work with already - he hasn't even had an AFL pre-season and has come into a team mid-way through the campaign.

As I said in my earlier post, the biggest issue was him fluffing those kicks back-to-back which is not something that is common in his game.

So we keep lamenting how often we don't have crumbers at the fall of the ball and then we start complaining about lack of KPFs.

We can't address all the list management holes in two seconds.
Maybe we could have held-back on spending 8 top 30 picks over 5 years on nothing but inside midfielders…

Certainly has some elite traits it seems. Raw but he is very exciting . Perfect pick given the circumstances of what we need.

Even better watching him against Coburg a second time.

Love his composure at 1.45ish.
There are a few traits I weigh more heavily than others with a junior to see whether they'll make it at the next level and composure is one of those. Most players either have it or they don't, and if they don't, it's very rare that that changes down the track.

His ability to keep a cool head and make the right decision is going to set him up for success if he works hard enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are a few traits I weigh more heavily than others with a junior to see whether they'll make it at the next level and composure is one of those.

Probably a discussion for another thread, but I’d be interested in what the top 3 or 4 traits you look out for when assessing junior players are?

What do think of the approach here? What Makes An Elite Soccer Player’s Brain Different From The Rest Of Us

It's very interesting and seems could be a game changer? Or are people in AFL already looking at this?
They'd already be looking at it I reckon.

What's interesting is what you do to develop these cognitive abilities in kids. They say this stuff can't be taught but I'll bet it can, its just a matter of working out how to do it and starting them early.

Not trying to be a smart ass but how did you then rate Goater at 3?

He's got a good brain when it comes to positioning, particularly behind the ball, and his decision making isn't poor, it's his execution by foot which is inconsistent and lets him down most IMO. Not to mention, it's extremely difficult to find a player in any draft class that has all 4 of those things to a high level, which is why Sheezel was a bit of a unicorn.

Still, his ceiling was/is massive due to his mixture of size, speed and versatility in what was a fairly underwhelming draft class.

How much do you factor in physical characteristics (height, frame) / athletic ratings into your assessments?

A fair bit, mostly when determining how high their ceiling might be in comparison to others in the draft.

It's dangerous because you're trying to project what they could be, rather than what they are.

What do think of the approach here? What Makes An Elite Soccer Player’s Brain Different From The Rest Of Us

It's very interesting and seems could be a game changer? Or are people in AFL already looking at this?

Not looking into it as much as they could.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #46: Robert Hansen Jnr - Extends to End 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back