Player Watch #47: Ivan Soldo

Remove this Banner Ad

Losing Soldo is a terrible start to the Yze era.

We spent two precious first rounders last year acquiring mid-age midfielders, now we've given away the best hope we had of being successful with them, for chump change, like #1 rucks are easily acquired commodities worth nothing. Is Soldo's value really worth a fraction of Hopper's to us in the grand scheme of things?

What incoming coaching team reviews the Brisbane final, where Nank not only fails to take advantage of rucking for over a half against a barely part-timer, but also actively hits the ball to their most dangerous mid over and over again, then says, 'yep, that injury prone, suspension prone, battered warhorse who can still occasionally get off the ground is safe as houses to be all we need to challenge for the next few years, we don't need this bloke coming into his prime footy years who just went toe to toe with Gawn a few weeks back in by far the best performance by a Richmond ruck in a couple of seasons, we'll do fine without him'?

Or reviews the recent Dogs season killer game and the stark contrast to the stack of goals we got directly from the ruck the week before, then lets Soldo walk?

Or reviews the couple of games where Ryan played the #1 role, saw how far off doing it full-time for any significant part of a season he was, then lets Soldo walk?

Seriously, you start to question the football intelligence involved.

Not to mention the fact that trading is supposed to be about improving your list, while not giving your key rivals exactly what they need to succeed.

We just gave a top-4 side our best ruckman, to compliment their already better, younger midfield, for SFA in return!

To me, that's the definition of dumb trading, even if it was to facilitate a player's request!

Good luck to the big man, when the deck is that stacked against you, apparently even with a new coaching team, then you have to take your career elsewhere. :thumbsu:

If he stays fit, I fully expect he'll pick up another couple of flags with that Port list - and it will be downright painful watching him do it in the wrong colours, while we're more than likely at the wrong end of the ladder, knowing we never gave him a genuine crack at it.
Get over him as he was a dinosaur after his injury and I told you this mid season. He was only getting games in the end bc he was in mini’s boy club. This is is the perfect start to Yze’s coaching career with a brilliant trade and one less plodder on the list.

Losing Soldo is a terrible start to the Yze era.

We spent two precious first rounders last year acquiring mid-age midfielders, now we've given away the best hope we had of being successful with them, for chump change, like #1 rucks are easily acquired commodities worth nothing. Is Soldo's value really worth a fraction of Hopper's to us in the grand scheme of things?

What incoming coaching team reviews the Brisbane final, where Nank not only fails to take advantage of rucking for over a half against a barely part-timer, but also actively hits the ball to their most dangerous mid over and over again, then says, 'yep, that injury prone, suspension prone, battered warhorse who can still occasionally get off the ground is safe as houses to be all we need to challenge for the next few years, we don't need this bloke coming into his prime footy years who just went toe to toe with Gawn a few weeks back in by far the best performance by a Richmond ruck in a couple of seasons, we'll do fine without him'?

Or reviews the recent Dogs season killer game and the stark contrast to the stack of goals we got directly from the ruck the week before, then lets Soldo walk?

Or reviews the couple of games where Ryan played the #1 role, saw how far off doing it full-time for any significant part of a season he was, then lets Soldo walk?

Seriously, you start to question the football intelligence involved.

Not to mention the fact that trading is supposed to be about improving your list, while not giving your key rivals exactly what they need to succeed.

We just gave a top-4 side our best ruckman, to compliment their already better, younger midfield, for SFA in return!

To me, that's the definition of dumb trading, even if it was to facilitate a player's request!

Good luck to the big man, when the deck is that stacked against you, apparently even with a new coaching team, then you have to take your career elsewhere. :thumbsu:

If he stays fit, I fully expect he'll pick up another couple of flags with that Port list - and it will be downright painful watching him do it in the wrong colours, while we're more than likely at the wrong end of the ladder, knowing we never gave him a genuine crack at it.
Never read so much tripe from a fanbois in my entirety on BF.

Get over him as he was a dinosaur after his injury and I told you this mid season.

'That 204cm bloke built like a battleship doesn't run fast enough.'

'That bloke who just had a career peak rating a few weeks ago against the best ruck in the league was finished as a player years ago.'

Over and over again, ad nauseum.

You apparently think these are compelling points, rooted in fact, which are worth discussing - I don't. :thumbsu:

Leaving his teammates and cousin. Bit of an odd decision really. Maybe he didn’t get along with players. Leaves a bit of a hole. Disappointed with his decision. Hopefully Colina has a good season in the reserves so we have depth

Leaving his teammates and cousin. Bit of an odd decision really. Maybe he didn’t get along with players. Leaves a bit of a hole. Disappointed with his decision. Hopefully Colina has a good season in the reserves so we have depth
He was a very popular member of the playing group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can’t believe what we got for him to be honest. Fairly average player who is easily replaceable. Nothing against him but the future second is plenty.

He had a great year until he did his knee.
Yeah but his price goes up when he’s such demand
We milked Port beautifully

27 and a half, played 57 games, didn't realise how little footy he had played.

Samson is about to turn 23 and has played 15.

Nank is 29 and has played 136.

I think we did pretty well to get what we did honestly. Comfortable with Nank and Ryan next year and maybe pick up a break glass in emergency type Rookie.

Last time I checked AFL is a professional sport. Some crazy big money around.
Soldo is 27 already and not first ruck at his current club. He's got a limited time to make a financial improvement in his life and more importantly play senior football.
That's the reason players leave clubs.

Hello trade period. Port see a role for soldo where he plays first ruck.

In the modern game ruckmen are a dying breed being taken over by tall KPFs.

Did you watch any of Ryan? Maybe not.
He was outstanding in the ruck. Not holding all his marks.

Miller actually plays best as a ruckman. Ditto Kosi.
At a pinch Balta was rucking in the 2020 GF.

If Colina gets a VFL game......cut off my legs and call me shorty

The other basketballer seems a better prospect.

FFS not getting along? Soldo actually playing quite well at the end.

Lynch and dusty on the big bucks means players will leave for better opportunities.

Kosi coming In. Not getting a game at his club. Fills a low cost replacement for Jack R.
IF Lynch can stay on the field and we get our mid field humming we will improve on last year.
Hopefully make finals

Last edited:
Love the bloke, wished he stayed and hope for the best for him

but life goes on ….

I want his name expunged from the thread,
Deleted from the Tigers Bigfooty board
Eliminated from every paper, tablet, rock and wall

Handy ruckman. Fearful he’ll be missed next year, particularly if anything happens to Nank.

Sucks that we rookied him, developed him, played him (premiershipped him) and now have lost him probably just as his best footy lies ahead.

Wonder what Port offered him?

Get his you’re feeling but didn’t we try and off load him last year ? Maybe he cracked it. Trust maybe gone ?
It’s nit like he left us mid season citing burn out . He’s to honorable to it’ll that stunt .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Never read so much tripe from a fanbois in my entirety on BF.

Nank lost us the prelim final ??

Soldo's most notable effort was the Gawn game (hmm 30 point loss. )
(Maxy got 3 brownlow votes for the game)

bigfooty eh?

In 2019, Soldo became a very good ruckman. Tall, aggro and hit outs were better than Nank. 2020 again injury to Nank and Soldo is close to flag 2. I felt he plateaued. I watched a lot of Metricon games in 2020.

Post injury his goal kicking actually improved. When both Nank and Soldo selected too slow.

Nank becoming captain the writing on the wall. Good luck to Soldo. Dunno if Rats and Mrs Thathcher = PAP flag. TBH a fit Lynch, no Jack R, and Kosi is encoraging.

I hope Yze can rejig the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #47: Ivan Soldo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back