Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4x All-Australian and 2x Best and Fairest (re-commits to Melbourne)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wanted to stop by and say it's a shame trac's season is done. Always enjoy watching him play and one of my favourite opposition players.

Showed his toughness by attempting to play on after the incident. It looked serious the moment it happened so to see him try to play on was gutsy because you knew watching he was in a bad way.

All the best for the rest of the season. Hope you guys can still manage to make finals.

*loved the way Brayshaw went about it as well so really felt for you guys that he got forced into early retirement.

Can't believe I missed this (club made sure they were nice and quiet about it after delting their re-post of Trac saying he was out for the year)

CHRISTIAN Petracca will be sidelined for the remainder of the 2024 AFL home-and-away season, following injury sustained in Melbourne’s Round 13 match against Collingwood on Monday.

Petracca, who suffered four broken ribs and a lacerated spleen in a collision during the opening term, has been recovering in hospital in the days since, with doctors today providing an update on his condition.

Following medical advice, Petracca will be unable to return to contact training for a minimum of 12 weeks, meaning the Demons midfielder will only be eligible to return to training during the AFL finals series.

Petracca has recently been moved out of the ICU and to a general ward, where he remains in good spirits despite the unfortunate news.

If they try and make him play this year, burn the ******* joint down.

Can't believe I missed this (club made sure they were nice and quiet about it after delting their re-post of Trac saying he was out for the year)

Like saying a North players available for finals.

I'd take a redo of the final game of 2017 rather than see him play.

Shouldn't need this as the final straw to burn the ****ing joint down, the club should have been set on fire last year

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodwin will still name him this week. Forward line though. Nothing too crazy from Crazy Goody 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Come on Goody isn't that negligent, lets be a bit more reasonable

He'll get named on the bench first

This Is Fine GIF

I genuinely won't feel bad if this somehow ends up with him leaving (It won't because of the contract).
If he left over this I would honestly stop watching until Goodwin is gone.

Giddy up..

"I think it all dates back to the decision to put him back on the ground."

I don't agree: I think IF Tracca wanted to try to return to playing, that would be the norm for suspected broken ribs... to suck it & see.?

If he was reluctant to go back on and they sent him on anyway, then IF I was his family, I would be angry with the club.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The AFL grounds lack the necessary facilities to diagnose internal injuries.

IMV both Docklands and the 'G', and the largest grounds around the country... like GMHBA, Perth ground, Adelaide ground, SCG & Olympic stadium, The Gabba. etc...

They should all have Cat scanners, with life saving tools such as Defibrillators, Mica unit type facilities, staffed with one or two qualified Medics to operate the Cat Scanner & or Intubation equipment / life saving equipment. a mini Pre ICU...

If the Mica unit Ambulances can carry most of these things on board the Ambulance, apart from the most necessary Cat Scanner, then surely an AFL ground Emergency Room should facilitate all these necessary bits of kit.

This type of AFL facility would serve the whole sporting community, players/staff of Both teams & Umpires, as well as the attending public, who might become reliant on such life saving tools.

The first few minutes of life dangering illness is critical, for such things as stroke, heart attack, thunderstorm asthma, the need to perform Tracheotomies, stabbings, & dare we think of it Terrorism activities.

The AFL 'ER', could be facilitated on game days by no more than 2 staff per match. for a half day pay for the 3 Hrs of attendance... backed up by the Mica crews in game day attendance.

This facility could be the ones who diagnose players concussions, etc, in independence of the Clubs team Medics.
The facility would treat any and all Life emergencies in attendance at the match.

Last edited:
I don't agree: I think IF Tracca wanted to try to return to playing, that would be the norm for suspected broken ribs... to suck it & see.?

If he was reluctant to go back on and they sent him on anyway, then IF I was his family, I would be angry with the club.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The AFL grounds lack the necessary facilities to diagnose internal injuries.

IMV both Docklands and the 'G', and the largest grounds around the country... like GMHBA, Perth ground, Adelaide ground, SCG & Olympic stadium, The Gabba. etc...

They should all have Cat scanners, with life saving tools such as Defibrillators, Mica unit type facilities, staffed with one or two qualified Medics to operate the Cat Scanner & or Intubation equipment / life saving equipment. a mini Pre ICU...

If the Mica unit Ambulances can carry most of these things on board the Ambulance, apart from he most necessary Cat Scanner, then surely an AFL ground Emergency Room should facilitate all these necessary bits of kit.

This type of AFL facility would serve the whole sporting community, players/staff of Both teams & Umpires, as well as the attending public, who might become reliant on such life saving tools.

The first few minutes of life dangering illness is critical, for such things as stroke, heart attack, thunderstorm asthma, the need to perform Tracheotomies, stabbings, & dare we think of it Terrorism activities.

The AFL 'ER', could be facilitated on game days by no more than 2 staff per match. for a half day pay for the 3 Hrs of attendance... backed up by the Mica crews in game day attendance.

This facility could be the ones who diagnose players concussions, etc, in independence of the Clubs team Medics.
The facility would treat any and all Life emergencies in attendance at the match.
That's a nice dream. The dollars and cents won't add up though. Also, the interventions and assessments you've listed would require much more than two people to complete.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s all very raw for Trac and his family. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Of course the docs should be said no you’re done for the day. But they did the Ultrasound and found nothing. Unless we are arguing the scan wasn’t performed and read properly. As someone said earlier. They probably just thought he could test the ribs out. When the dust settles I’m sure Trac will be back day one of pre season.

It’s all very raw for Trac and his family. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Of course the docs should be said no you’re done for the day. But they did the Ultrasound and found nothing. Unless we are arguing the scan wasn’t performed and read properly. As someone said earlier. They probably just thought he could test the ribs out. When the dust settles I’m sure Trac will be back day one of pre season.

The medical team, which includes the independent AFL doctor, not picking up exactly what was wrong is not surprising or particularly bad given the situation, BUT where it got ugly was it was completely obvious to anyone that Trac should not be going back on. Not only did he go back on, but he went back on for 21 minutes straight. Out of 50 quarters he's played in this year he's only played that long in 3 of them.

It absolutely reeks of an extreme example of the horrendous injury management of the last few years. You could just about pick a name out of a hat and you'd find something in their history about being mismanaged when it comes to injuries. Just this year we've clearly seen it with Oliver, Viney, May, Gawn, Petty, Turner, Salem, Trac, Lever and more, and just ask Charlie Spargo how he reckons it was handled.

Trac had to be basically carried off the field. It's unbelievable he was allowed back on. Our performance in the last 2 finals series and so far this year has been hampered by this issue IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4x All-Australian and 2x Best and Fairest (re-commits to Melbourne)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back