Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4x All-Australian and 2x Best and Fairest (re-commits to Melbourne)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. It’s not expecting him to kick 4 every week, but the guy generates SO many shots on goal that if his accuracy goes up to 60% he is unstoppable.
He set the standard not me, I’m just gonna hold him to it.

Gotta put me hand up and give Kingy credit for this. I wanted him forward more but wasn't convinced he'd be a gun, kingy called for us to play him perma forward and he's rated #1 in the AFL for scores from times targeted inside 50 aka he's the most damaging forward per disposal in the AFL. 50% of the time he gets a disposal inside 50 we score. Get Oliver back in and unleash Trac fully deep.

Any chance for the Brownlow or is Diacos going to walk it in?

Slim I'd say. He'd have close to 6 votes from the past fortnight, to go with a few from earlier this year. Would need to do what he's done the past two weeks for the next 6 to nab it; not sure that'll be sustainable. Daicos will have plenty already and will be hard to catch.

Reckon he'll be second behind Daicos at this stage. He'll jag three votes in some of his higher possession games where we didn't think he went overly well – has the big name factor, we've won a decent amount of games, and he won't really have Gawn and Clarry pinching votes off him for a good chunk of the year.

Daicos has been a certainty since about Round 5 due to the hype. Not a lot of big vote getters to compete with, either.

Gotta put me hand up and give Kingy credit for this. I wanted him forward more but wasn't convinced he'd be a gun, kingy called for us to play him perma forward and he's rated #1 in the AFL for scores from times targeted inside 50 aka he's the most damaging forward per disposal in the AFL. 50% of the time he gets a disposal inside 50 we score. Get Oliver back in and unleash Trac fully deep.
Kingy is one of the better analysts for mine. Has actual opinions rather than just piling in and following others. Means he gets a few wrong, but is prepared to do so, and generally uses footage well to articulate his point rather than 'the vibe'

Kingy is one of the better analysts for mine. Has actual opinions rather than just piling in and following others. Means he gets a few wrong, but is prepared to do so, and generally uses footage well to articulate his point rather than 'the vibe'

My issue is it is really obvious when he has put money on a team.

Can't stand his over the top shit. One bloke gets a bump slightly wrong and kingy says he has to get 56 weeks or else the game might be in limbo

He has played in at least one second of a AFL game this year so zero is a statistical impossibility.

Perhaps a more accurate reflection of his chances are 0.0000000001.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a player! If he keeps spending quality time forward, he'll keep racking these up too. Another Norm and premiership would see him up with the top Dees of all time. Let's hope he can get that done this season!

Truly think he's a guy who kills you with a few brilliant things per game, not an overall game. Players like that need to play forward and he's been twice the player in the second half of the year as he was in the first.

Truly think he's a guy who kills you with a few brilliant things per game, not an overall game. Players like that need to play forward and he's been twice the player in the second half of the year as he was in the first.

Whether it’s him becoming a better leader or just coincidence I don’t know, but he’s repeatedly come up big for us this year when we’ve needed him. Not necessarily always kicking goals but winning clearances when we are under the pump.

I actually think this is his best season so far, imo he’s the best player still in the finals and if he steps up again like Bluelegs says we will be hard to beat.

Whether it’s him becoming a better leader or just coincidence I don’t know, but he’s repeatedly come up big for us this year when we’ve needed him. Not necessarily always kicking goals but winning clearances when we are under the pump.

I actually think this is his best season so far, imo he’s the best player still in the finals and if he steps up again like Bluelegs says we will be hard to beat.

I completely agree. This has been Trac's best year - his clearance work is so good. We just take it for granted now that he'll bust through a pack, scoop up the ball and give a perfect handball off with another 2 goons hanging off him.

Trac clearly played injured for the second half of 2022, and was crippled by the time finals came round. He's fit now, and ready to go and win us another flag.

Maybe he's figured out that he plays heaps better when he's playing a bit angry. Love it when a tagger starts shitting him and he starts actually throwing his weight around. Viney should punch him in the nuts in warm ups or something.

If he and Oliver can find the extra gear they did in the 2021 finals again we'll be very hard to beat.

Too soon to talk about Oliver and gear?

Trac talking about learnings ( in 2023, really?) and an expected score of +4 goals in his post match interview Johnny Karate :$

A couple more years of learnings regarding finals at the G and we should be right to go IRL!

We are straight thru to the expected finals series expected prelim so that is nice, the fans should be excited about that!

This is exactly what I needed to hear, thanks Trac

Last edited:
Why does anyone really care about what a player or coach says to the media?

It's probably the total opposite to what they say behind closed doors anyway

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4x All-Australian and 2x Best and Fairest (re-commits to Melbourne)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back