Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4x All-Australian and 2x Best and Fairest (re-commits to Melbourne)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wonder what date was locked in first?

I've been pretty pro-Trac during this whole saga but this isn't a good look IMO
It isn't, but I get it in the context of trauma recovery. I think at the moment he doesn't want to be around the club because it's difficult for him mentally. I'm happy giving him time in that context. Hope things settle for him and he can be happy & motivated when he comes back for pre-season.

I don't know if that's the situation, but I can certainly get it if that's what it is.

Yeah I'm not fussed by him wanting to get his body right and making that a priority. What are we celebrating at the b&f anyway? Hopefully Oliver is doing something similar
TBH with the year that we've had I'd be O.K. cancelling the Bluey Truscott altogether. Don't have it until we are good.

It isn't, but I get it in the context of trauma recovery. I think at the moment he doesn't want to be around the club because it's difficult for him mentally. I'm happy giving him time in that context. Hope things settle for him and he can be happy & motivated when he comes back for pre-season.

I don't know if that's the situation, but I can certainly get it if that's what it is.

Feel like this narrative changes week to week. Fairly sure he said he was pissed off because he didn’t get enough texts from Richo.

But jeez he had a month in Noosa, time with his family and now conveniently red bull training in Austria lands on the exact same day as BnF where his best mate is presenting to the club.

Feels like a bit of a piss take, he has had 3-4 months to do whatever he has needed to.

TBH with the year that we've had I'd be O.K. cancelling the Bluey Truscott altogether. Don't have it until we are good.
It's funny, I used to go to the b&f every year through the dark days. Loved the night. Players were quite loose and very happy to chat. Was conveniently at Crown. Have had no inclination to go in recent years though and have heard it's just not as good a night.

I'd be interested to know what his rehab is like. There was obviously that period where he couldn't even get his heartrate above 100. If he's using this as a way to kick-start his pre-season now that he can actually push himself I've got no issue with it.

We've generally been pretty good about letting players take time away from the club. Obviously that happened with Petracca at Noosa but also Langdon missing a week to go to his Sisters wedding earlier this year and Kozzy doing most of his pre-season back home in 2021.

Trac's done the Red Bull camp for years. Same with the other guys Red Bull sponsor, I think Boak is one of them?
Mountain out of molehill IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My main issue with the Red Bull camp is I don't want any Ports Adelaide stink rubbing off on Petracca.
I suppose that's not a problem this time around, because Ports are in finals. But in previous year it has been a genuine cause of concern, lack of sleep, mild anxiety etc.

Very poor from Trac to not attend the club B&F.
Nah **** that who cares. Stuff the club. They haven't changed shit yet they've just made some promises and a shit president has rightly fallen on her sword.

Nah **** that who cares. Stuff the club. They haven't changed shit yet they've just made some promises and a shit president has rightly fallen on her sword.
I’m not suggesting the club has done the things that are needed yet, but I’d prefer to see him attending such a significant club function.

At some point I need him to come back to the club and behave like a leader who is using his own actions to help drive us back up the ladder again, rather than an outcast who wants to be at a stronger side.

Trac getting his body and mind right, and being ready to be the best footballer he can be next year > Trac attending the B&F and being harassed about his injury and 'loyalty' by overly-enthusiastic supporters on the piss.

Pretty simple equation for me. I get the optics argument, but it's pretty insignificant.

Trac getting his body and mind right, and being ready to be the best footballer he can be next year > Trac attending the B&F and being harassed about his injury and 'loyalty' by overly-enthusiastic supporters on the piss.

Pretty simple equation for me. I get the optics argument, but it's pretty insignificant.
I mean to be honest a log cabin in the Austrian country sounds pretty good. If it means he comes back much fitter good for him. Plus bnf's are a bit naff anyway.

Disagree, had the chance to show his commitment to the club over his brand and missed it.

He has had 3-4 months off and will be having another few months off before pre-season. Surely one night of commitment within that timeframe isn’t a lot to give up when he is being paid 1-1.5m a year.

If our leaders can’t lead and want to continuously focus on themself and go on holidays with there missus than we are going nowhere fast

I’m not suggesting the club has done the things that are needed yet, but I’d prefer to see him attending such a significant club function.

At some point I need him to come back to the club and behave like a leader who is using his own actions to help drive us back up the ladder again, rather than an outcast who wants to be at a stronger side.
I get the feel that he is on a sort of 12month check; on the way the club responds thru trade and draft periods, and also how this club deals with its drug related issues.

The next 12 months imo will be, how/what he decides to do into the future.

I am in the Oli trade team.

IF Tracca decides his heart is elsewhere, then this time next year will be the time to make that happen... with clubs able to trade 2 seasons deep into the draft.

Our next 12 month period, is make a new club time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #5: Christian Petracca – Norm Smith Medallist, 4x All-Australian and 2x Best and Fairest (re-commits to Melbourne)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back