#5 Nick "THE BRUISER" Maxwell

Remove this Banner Ad

Been awhile I know!! But I am back and in business!!!

Round one has now been completed and Nick had an ok game without being a stand out. Stats for the match:

Kicks - 10
H/Balls - 2
Marks - 2
Tackles - 4

His chase and tackle on Farmer was awesome!!! I hope he continues to get better as the year wears on. I know he will!!! Go Nick!!!!!!

Sorry been having problems with my net, so I have just done an up to date stats post on Maxy!!

Will be up to date from now on!!!

Round 2 - Brisbane

4 kicks
8 handballs
3 marks
3 tackles
1 FF

game rating 5/10

Round 3 - Richmond

8 kicks
7 handballs
5 marks
4 tackles
2 FF
1 goal

game rating 6/10

Round 4 - Carlton

4 kicks
3 handballs
4 marks
5 tackles
1 FF
2 FA

game rating 5/10

Round 5 - Kangaroos

Did not play due to suspension!!!

I think personally we missed his 1% for this game. He may not be the most skilful bloke in our team but his effort is unquestionable.

Round 6 - Essendon

6 kicks
6 handballs
1 mark
1 tackle
1 FF
1 FA
1 behind

game rating 4/10

Welcome back Maxy!! I think with him down back, he definitely makes the backline look more dangerous, again not the most skilful, but never leaves anything in the tank!!! But he was a little quiet in saying that, but I am sure as the year wears on!!

Our beloved BRUISER was named the 45th Captain of the Collingwood Football Club today! :thumbsu:
Maxy leaves absolutely nothing on the field at the end of the day. He bleeds black & white. He will never back down, he will never surrender and he does his best to drag everyone on the field along with him. Touted as a great leader for the last couple of years, he has been given the ultimate reward and vote of confidence, the Captaincy of our great club.

081217_maxwell246a.jpg
081217_captains246a.jpg

Nick Maxwell has been named the 45th captain of the Collingwood Football Club, following in the footsteps of some of the greatest players and leaders to have pulled on the black and white stripes.

The 25-year-old, who has played 95 AFL games for the Magpies since debuting in 2004, replaces club great Scott Burns, who retired at the end of 2008 after leading the Magpies in the final season of his outstanding 14-year career.

Maxwell will head up a six-man leadership group announced by Collingwood president Eddie McGuire and senior coach Mick Malthouse at a press conference on Wednesday.

Josh Fraser and Scott Pendlebury will be vice captains, while Shane O’Bree and Dane Swan have been named deputy vice-captains. Tarkyn Lockyer is also part of the leadership group.

Maxwell is one of a number of Magpies who is a success story of the rookie list system. After playing for the Geelong Falcons in Victoria’s TAC Cup under 18 competition, Maxwell went undrafted and represented VFL side North Ballarat in 2002.

He was then snapped up by the Magpies in the 2002 rookie draft at pick no.15 overall, and spent two years on the rookie list, before earning permanent elevation at the end of 2004 following 10 impressive senior games while temporarily elevated to the senior list as a long-term injury replacement.

Since 2005 Maxwell has developed into one of Collingwood’s toughest and most reliable players, having played 85 of a possible 94 games, missing matches only to injury.

His excellent on and off field leadership was recognised in 2008 when he was made deputy vice captain as part of the club’s five-man leadership group.

Maxwell, who in 2008 inherited the famous number five guernsey previously worn by club champion Nathan Buckley, was the recipient of the Darren Millane Award as best clubman in 2007 and 2005, and is winner of the past two Gavin Brown Awards for most desire indicators, both testament to his unwavering courage and commitment to the Collingwood cause.

In 2008 Maxwell played a variety of roles in defence and attack, with his versatility in being able to play on opponents of varying size one of his main attributes, and recorded career-best numbers in nearly every statistical category, including kicks, marks, handballs and total disposals, finishing 12th in the Copeland Trophy voting.

He was one of the Magpies’ best players in the two finals appearances, and did an exceptional job playing a run-with role in the midfield on Adelaide star Scott Thompson in the memorable elimination final triumph.

Only 44 men before Maxwell have been honoured with the Collingwood captaincy since the club’s first season in the Victorian Football League in 1897, so it truly is a rare and prestigious honour.
collingwoodfc.com.au

linky

Remove this Banner Ad

#5 Nick "THE BRUISER" Maxwell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back