Past 5. Sam Petrevski-Seton

Remove this Banner Ad

Williams didn't have a good year, but he's far from our worst recruit ever.

Cost us nothing in draft picks, still played some good games, particularly in the backline.

Compare this to McGovern who cost us the equivalent of Pick 13. Williams looks fine.
We don’t know what Williams will cost us until later down the track. What if Williams costs us Sam Walsh or Harry McKay because money.

Maybe i'm biased. but I can't understand how Patrick Lipinski can probably be worth in the pick 25-30 range, yet SPS is worth less than that? (at least according to the Eagles, it would seem). Surely Sam is a better player, and has more experience.

Is it fundamentally down to the fact, SPS wasn't offered a contract, Lipinski turned one down?

I'm sorry, but there's just not that much of a discrepancy between the value of SPS and Cerra.
I'm not saying that SPS is valued similarly to Cerra, but pick 6 and change vs pick 52?!? No.
Below is the comparison between both players in their 3rd years (before Carlton decided to play SPS as a HBF). Now Cerra was playing reduced length games, but I'm not trying to say that SPS was/is better than Cerra, just that they were both tracking along nicely at the same stage and there's no reason to expect that SPS wouldn't be at a similar level to Cerra if he had continued in the midfield.
Fact is, he didn't. He could have handled the change of roles better and we could have handled him better. All of this HAS devalued him, but not to that extent.
By comparison, Henderson was a former pick 8, whose form had been up and down over his career and played in different positions. He checked out and asked for a trade. He netted pick 17 from Geelong 8 years after he was first drafted and was moving to his 3rd club. Surely SPS is worth something in the late 20s/early 30s?
View attachment 1253154
And yet in the respective years that you have shown Cerra finished third in the freo best and fairest despite only playing 17 games.

Sps finished 10th in ours despite playing every game.

It sounds like it will be a very simple swap of SPS for 52. Then that will be on traded for Lewis Young, although we are trying to get him for 64.
Very disappointing, but this is not Austin's fault.
Both the club and SPS have let themselves down over the last 2-3 years. His value is at an all time low and he was the first to have his papers stamped by the incoming bosses. He was is not viewed in a positive light with those pushing the new culture shift. I guess this says a bit.
Hopefully for him he gets his attitude right. Will be hard to watch him blossom at another club, but it would be a huge shame to see his talent completely go to waste.

It sounds like it will be a very simple swap of SPS for 52. Then that will be on traded for Lewis Young, although we are trying to get him for 64.
Very disappointing, but this is not Austin's fault.
Both the club and SPS have let themselves down over the last 2-3 years. His value is at an all time low and he was the first to have his papers stamped by the incoming bosses. He was is not viewed in a positive light with those pushing the new culture shift. I guess this says a bit.
Hopefully for him he gets his attitude right. Will be hard to watch him blossom at another club, but it would be a huge shame to see his talent completely go to waste.
That's terrible if true.

Maybe i'm biased. but I can't understand how Patrick Lipinski can probably be worth in the pick 25-30 range, yet SPS is worth less than that? (at least according to the Eagles, it would seem). Surely Sam is a better player, and has more experience.

Is it fundamentally down to the fact, SPS wasn't offered a contract, Lipinski turned one down?

I agree, I don't see in what world Lipinski, who has predominately played VFL recently and only played 56 games, is worth that (exactly what he was drafted for mind you) yet SPS who has played 94 games and was taken at 6, is worth so much less. They are both the same age.

I'm not saying we have or will, but if we let a media narrative like this dictate what we accept for SPS than Austin is not the man for the job. I'm already very skeptical on him. It's speculated on that we let the Saad news drop too early and we had publicly committed to him so were backed into a corner so had to pay up, this is it all over again but in reverse.

49 (52) for SPS is not acceptable, regardless if we net Young from it or not.

Nathan Kreuger, a guy that has played TWO games, is worth more than SPS?

The whole situation just feels wrong, how we allowed it to get like this, is beyond me.. SPS is a quality player.

Agree. It is really upsetting seeing this. It is as if the whole footy world has forgotten the quality of SPS.

Shame about SPS but I'm not going to completely buy into the narrative we let him down development wise.

Was he a halfback? No, not even close. But did he embrace the change as much as he could have? I'd say no, and I'll say why.

Forty3 said he's heard he was one of the first stamped when trying to shift the culture. For comparisons sake, when Fisher was moved forward he initially was against it, but had a point where he said "If this is my lot, then I'll be the best small forward I can be" and told Teaguey as much. Stocker moved to the backline, embraced the challenge and has publicly said he will play wherever the team needs him. I can't recall hearing the same out of SPS. All we've heard is he's not a halfback and wants to play mid, even Eddie publicly saying the same several times.

Maybe that's wrong but by going by what each has said publicly, has had said about them and rumours on here, it would seem as though SPS hasn't embraced the change and been as professional as he can be.

If that's true then I'm not too disappointed about his departure, and quite possibly it could be the best thing for him too. You often hear players mention they got a wakeup call in their careers and it turned them around, maybe this can be it for SPS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have they showed the Weagles this?

He's been earning a living off this game for years now.

Edit another thing I notice watching the highlights is how Cripps is moving and attacking the ball, looks like he's running with a piano of his back these days compared to this video!

Last edited:
Austin needs to pull his finger out and learn to ******* value what you have already.
If he trades SPS for something like 50 he is not up to this.
Get Brander and 52 for SPS and maybe, maybe it not a total ******* disaster.

Brander is out of the picture now though, given Lewis Young... there is depth, and then there is too much depth.

Agree. It is really upsetting seeing this. It is as if the whole footy world has forgotten the quality of SPS.
I agree wholeheartedly, but if you believe the reports, combined with Forty's post, it seems clear that 'the club' (whoever that entails) don't value SPS in the slightest. I mean, he wasn't even offered a contract, was he?

Remove this Banner Ad

Past 5. Sam Petrevski-Seton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back