Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope Ben is looking forward to a summer with Alex Ischenko because he's now the only bloke on the senior list besides Goldstein capable of reaching the ball at centre bounces.

Especially as Boomer is the only remaining member of the three man totem pole.

I hope Ben is looking forward to a summer with Alex Ischenko because he's now the only bloke on the senior list besides Goldstein capable of reaching the ball at centre bounces.

Well, we could always run Petrie in the ruck, right? Right?

Bring back Cruize!

Brown is a absolute workhorse

Hearing that he is going to work on everything he lacked and have a proper pre season, Wowie, I call leading goal kicker for 2016

This video just confirms my excitement

I love this man. Will be my new favourite player when Boomer retires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, Horizons, do you see this as more of a reflection of BB's upside this year, or Drewy and Waitey slumping some? Presuming a fit LT kicking his 40-45 goals that'd mean BB kicks upward of 50 which would be a sensational outcome. I hope you're right (and that Drewy and Waitey maybe slump into the high 30's without falling off a cliff).

A true spearhead season by BB backed by a relatively even goal share between Drewy, Waitey, LT, Higgo, Ziebs, Garner and Cunners in many ways would be the best possible outcome in 2016 (presuming the season is capped off by a flag of course!).

So, Horizons, do you see this as more of a reflection of BB's upside this year, or Drewy and Waitey slumping some? Presuming a fit LT kicking his 40-45 goals that'd mean BB kicks upward of 50 which would be a sensational outcome. I hope you're right (and that Drewy and Waitey maybe slump into the high 30's without falling off a cliff).

A true spearhead season by BB backed by a relatively even goal share between Drewy, Waitey, LT, Higgo, Ziebs, Garner and Cunners in many ways would be the best possible outcome in 2016 (presuming the season is capped off by a flag of course!).

A few reasons why I have huge expectations on him

1. This will be his first full pre season with no post surgery (obviously limited running which is tailored to his previous knee issues)

2. He has one of the most humble and mature attitudes I've seen in a player. We can all tell how absolutely gutted he was with his finals appearance in comparison to the 2014 series and he is not shy to bring up that fact. He will not settle for that

3. His marking is elite (bar from maybe the final series). He is impossible to defend if he is on the lead

4. Yes Waite and dish are coming down to the end of the career and if any of them cop a injury or not, BBB is our main tall target for sure. Can't say that about anyone else on our list at the moment

5. He has pretty much played through 2015 with a sore body and I know he played in 2014 with a knee injury. Can only imagine how good he's gonna be when fit and Injury free

6. His work ethic is fantastic. Being a big bloke he may look slow but I've watched him closely and he leaves nothing in the tank

7. I feel like our talls will play more up the field to give BBB more development and opportunity to play full forward as a continuity plan for 2017 and onwards

Lastly imagine our forward line. Waite, dish, BBB, LT, even nahas, Anderson, boomer, garner, Higgins, zeebs and cunners hopefully a bit more, wood potentially and I know even mullet can play forward

I don't know.... MAYBE I AM JUST EXCITED! ;)

A few reasons why I have huge expectations on him

1. This will be his first full pre season with no post surgery (obviously limited running which is tailored to his previous knee issues)

2. He has one of the most humble and mature attitudes I've seen in a player. We can all tell how absolutely gutted he was with his finals appearance in comparison to the 2014 series and he is not shy to bring up that fact. He will not settle for that

3. His marking is elite (bar from maybe the final series). He is impossible to defend if he is on the lead

4. Yes Waite and dish are coming down to the end of the career and if any of them cop a injury or not, BBB is our main tall target for sure. Can't say that about anyone else on our list at the moment

5. He has pretty much played through 2015 with a sore body and I know he played in 2014 with a knee injury. Can only imagine how good he's gonna be when fit and Injury free

6. His work ethic is fantastic. Being a big bloke he may look slow but I've watched him closely and he leaves nothing in the tank

7. I feel like our talls will play more up the field to give BBB more development and opportunity to play full forward as a continuity plan for 2017 and onwards

Lastly imagine our forward line. Waite, dish, BBB, LT, even nahas, Anderson, boomer, garner, Higgins, zeebs and cunners hopefully a bit more, wood potentially and I know even mullet can play forward

I don't know.... MAYBE I AM JUST EXCITED! ;)

If Mckay turns into a decent forward we are laughing. One of his big strengths apparently is his one on one body work. Something that Brown lacks.

With Mckay out of full forward, and Brown further up the ground, supplemented with Black/Wood as the third tall we are laughing for the next 8 years.

Good post and agree with all bar this point. He double grabs a bit and isn't great with the bodywork. Could be a symptom of his lack of preseasons but can't declare him an elite mark (yet) regardless.

He does sound acutely aware of what he needs to work on though and driven to rectify it so wouldn't be surprised him turn into an elite mark in coming years.

Last edited:
Good post and agree with all bar this point. He double grabs a bit and isn't great with the bodywork. Could be a symptom of his lack of preseasons but can't declare him an elite mark (yet) regardless.

He does sound acutely aware of what he needs to work on though and driven to rectify it so wouldn't be surprised him turn into an elite mark in coming years.

I've seen glimpses of his elite marking in 2014 but yeah he dropped off late this year

I've seen glimpses of his elite marking in 2014 but yeah he dropped off late this year

You might be right would need to go back over those games to check.

Have never considered him quite in that category to date. Taylor Walker, Drew Petrie, Travis Cloke are blokes that come to mind that I'd considered elite in the current league before even considering past players like Carey or Jonathon Brown into any marking discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

Back