Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

No matter how bad he has been since the stkilda game in tassie he'll still be a 60 goal a season foward in about 4 years time. He does everything right can mark is agile and is massive. Plus he trains the house down.
Don't think his ceiling is as high as that to be fair. He's already a good player and will remain a good player because he has the drive and determination to do so; he just had a poor finals series, it happens. He'll probably spend the majority of his career as a 30-40 goal a season player, which is nothing to be sniffed at from a 3rd tall who can ruck a bit that was taken late in the draft as a mature age player.

Don't think his ceiling is as high as that to be fair. He's already a good player and will remain a good player because he has the drive and determination to do so; he just had a poor finals series, it happens. He'll probably spend the majority of his career as a 30-40 goal a season player, which is nothing to be sniffed at from a 3rd tall who can ruck a bit that was taken late in the draft as a mature age player.

3rd tall ? Who our No1 and 2 tall when Petrie and Waite hang them up next season ?

Needs some mongrel in him.

He's never going to progress being a soft tall.

He's got a good leap, he covers good ground, got a good set shot.

Just needs to look at Tex Walker, Jonathon Brown, Jay Shultz etc. All have a big dip and throw their bodies around.

BBB will come good, despite what many are suggesting. Have a big preseason and he'll be great next year.

Browny is a victim of playing in front, and this combined with usually slow, poor delivery, means that defenders can quite easily body check/tunnel him under the high ball, and usually put him on the deck, out of the contest as a result, happens to Drew when he plays in front too, improved delivery to advantage would help dramatically.

Big Ben worked bloody hard despite a down game.

Plus he was no worse than the other two mature "star" forwards who did nothing.
So Browny did nothing?

Huh?

I think the criticism is unfair, especially considering the other two contributed no more, are older, and have higher expectations.
In fairness both Waite and Petrie took more marks and kicked more goals despite getting the better defenders.

The issue with Brown, who I think will become an excellent player, was that he had the 3rd banana defender, prolly had 10cm and 10kgs on his opponent more often than not, and couldn't get it done. We worked opportunities for him because they had to match Dish and Waite with their better defenders, but Browny couldn't get it done when the ball was directed to him. He has struggled in recent times to hold his marks and this week was no different.

That said he will be better for the experience and is key for the future. A preseason where he can actually do the work will help immensely, but his performance hurt us this weekend, more so than Dish and Waite given we looked to exploit the Brown match up.

Last edited:
In fairness both Waite and Petrie took more marks and kicked more goals despite getting the better defenders.

The issue with Brown, who I think will become an excellent player, was that he had the 3rd banana defender, prolly had 10cm and 10kgs on his opponent more often than not, and couldn't get it done. We worked opportunities for him because they had to match Dish and Waite with their getter defenders, but Browny couldn't get it done when the ball was directed to him. He has struggled in recent times to hold his marks and this week was no different.

That said he will be better for the experience and is key for the future. A preseason where he can actually do the work will help immensely, but his performance hurt us this weekend, more so than Dish and Waite given we looked to exploit the Brown match up.

This.

Needed to step up, and utilize his match-up advantage, and is feeling the heat because he didn't.

Ben is a determined young man, so I have no doubt that he will learn from these mistakes.

The issue with Brown, who I think will become an excellent player, was that he had the 3rd banana defender, prolly had 10cm and 10kgs on his opponent more often than not, and couldn't get it done. We worked opportunities for him because they had to match Dish and Waite with their better defenders, but Browny couldn't get it done when the ball was directed to him. He has struggled in recent times to hold his marks and this week was no different.

I think you are looking at the wrong stats sheet.

Overall finals yes, not on Sat night which is what we are talking about.

I agree Brown has work to do, especially his core strength and holding position. I think all three hurt us, none of them delivered to expectations IMO even if he had the easier match up. That is offset by his age and experience, the other two needed to do better.

Put Kennedy in our team and we probably win the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you are looking at the wrong stats sheet.

Overall finals yes, not on Sat night which is what we are talking about.

I agree Brown has work to do, especially his core strength and holding position. I think all three hurt us, none of them delivered to expectations IMO even if he had the easier match up. That is offset by his age and experience, the other two needed to do better.

Put Kennedy in our team and we probably win the game.
Sorry mate, got my column's mixed up.

Drew had 6 marks, 2 behinds (thought they were goals:drunk:) Waite 5 marks 2 behinds, Brown 4 marks 1 goal 1. The point still stands, he had a much easier match up regardless of age and experience and was used as the best option deep forward because of this. He failed to deliver. The other two weren't great either but were not the guys we were wanting to play through anyway.

Sorry mate, got my column's mixed up.

Drew had 6 marks, 2 behinds (thought they were goals:drunk:) Waite 5 marks 2 behinds, Brown 4 marks 1 goal 1. The point still stands, he had a much easier match up regardless of age and experience and was used as the best option deep forward because of this. He failed to deliver. The other two weren't great either but were not the guys we were wanting to play through anyway.

All good. You are excellent with stats so knew you must have looked at the wrong column etc.

Yes I agree Brown had to do better, was disappointing. Just feel the other two were also and I feel didn't stand up. But yeah I get what you mean, put Waite/Drew in Browns role and they likely kick a few. But that didn't happen so who knows, overall we didn't exploit their backline near what we could/should have.....

All good. You are excellent with stats so knew you must have looked at the wrong column etc.

Yes I agree Brown had to do better, was disappointing. Just feel the other two were also and I feel didn't stand up. But yeah I get what you mean, put Waite/Drew in Browns role and they likely kick a few. But that didn't happen so who knows, overall we didn't exploit their backline near what we could/should have.....
Maybe Waite and Drew would still have come up with doughnuts as they would have dragged their better opponents with them. Who knows?

Anyway, Brown has all the tools, he just has to hone his craft and opportunities like the weekend will be 4 goal games for him.

He runs to the right spots, has a good work rate, usually kicks a goal or two and has plenty of time. He doesn't grab too many at this stage but there is plenty of time for him to develop. Just a reminder that this is his first full season in the first team.

Will be better for it. Even if he is as frustrating as all hell at times.

Teams are clearly instructed that if you can't stop his run, tunnel him as he leaps.

It is fairly simple logic to work out that a defender giving away 10 kgs and 10 cm has to come up with a few novel ways to keep a forward of that size in check because they are not going to outreach Brown. The fact that the umpiring fraternity has failed to cotton onto this says plenty. I think it has knocked his confidence a little, thus he was dropping a few that he would normally clunk.

Except that other big guy that you constantly blow smoke up has been given ample time on the list and still has many flaws. Brown is miles ahead of the other guy.

Fair enough and taken on board, I don't tend to blow smoke up anyone arse as a rule though. And am glad the club looks likely to stick by the 'other guy' for a little while longer. I hope both help shape our forward line for years to come. I don't dislike Brown, but sheesh some on here 'blow smoke' up Browns arse on a regular basis. He's also got along way to go, fingers crossed he gets there.

I wonder how he would go if instead of running under the flight of the ball and taking it at its apex and consequently getting easily tunneled out of the contest, if he got to position, then halted very quickly and protected the space of the ball drop. I think a lot of defenders aren't expecting this (they just know he will play his game of run, jump, grab and so confidently tunnel him) so they will either 1) be caught off guard and he will more easily protect the drop; or 2) run straight through him and give him the free kick.

He needs to do something to disrupt his predictability.

I wonder how he would go if instead of running under the flight of the ball and taking it at its apex and consequently getting easily tunneled out of the contest, if he got to position, then halted very quickly and protected the space of the ball drop. I think a lot of defenders aren't expecting this (they just know he will play his game of run, jump, grab and so confidently tunnel him) so they will either 1) be caught off guard and he will more easily protect the drop; or 2) run straight through him and give him the free kick.

It'll certainly work in the short term. If he becomes known for doing that as well then he has options and the defenders aren't going to be able to tunnel him as easily cos they won't be able to set up for the same predictable thing. I guess that is part of him developing his game.

Razor or Margetts would have pinged him for shepparding..

Would love to see Browny with a full preseason under his belt and some mentoring from the other Browny (Jonathan).
What about the other other Browny?

081203_LeighBrown246b.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #50: Ben Brown - Traded to Melbourne with 2020 #28 + 2021 R4 for 2020 #26 #33 + 2021 R4(Bris) - 130 gms / 287 gls - thanks Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

Back