Player Watch #51 Jacob Blight - Re-Signed for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

If we did, you’d be the guy in the closet watching.
Tim And Eric Flirting GIF

Heard we may be trading him for Jai Culley from West Coast. Blight getting 2 year offer from eagles while are offering 1year. I can’t be 100 % this is correct.
Does West Coast have to trade for him? KPD we could get a decent pick in return as I think best for our defence to settle with Balta, Miller, Gibcus, Young. If we could get a top 40 for him that would be a good return for Toce's first mid season pick

You're Graham shit is laughable.
You and his supporters have been dining out about his 2018 prelim for how long? Six years?
last premiership was in 20 .... four years ago.
We all love what he did, but what's he done since??
Sweet FA.
But keep thinking we have to repay him and extend his legacy.
No wonder we have been nowhere near it this year, or since '21.
Too busy living in the past.
If Graham was even half as good as he was in 2018 we wouldn't be talking.
There's 14 other clubs that would love to say that.

I get parts of your argument, but as reigning b2b premiers, did you think we could challenge again in 2021? I certainly did.

For various reasons the cliff has come sooner than expected. In particular injuries, retiring champions, a traitor who jumped ship, and inability to access quality early draft picks courtesy of winning premierships.

Graham is not the only one whose form has dropped. But the strength of the club through 2017-2020 was that Graham was in the bottom 6 of our best line up. Our bottom 6 right now are kids having played less than 10-20 games. Players like Graham have not been able to fill the void left by retiring champions.

This is why we need to be patient and get as much overs as we can for our tradable assets. Rioli, Baker, Bolton, Graham, even Blight if he wants to return to WA. Get as many early draft picks as we can and hopefully draft our next generation of champions.

Being a premiership player doesn't necessarily mean you're a gun. Darryl Freame (no disrespect intended) is a Richmond premiership player, Matthew Richardson is not.

I get parts of your argument, but as reigning b2b premiers, did you think we could challenge again in 2021? I certainly did.

For various reasons the cliff has come sooner than expected. In particular injuries, retiring champions, a traitor who jumped ship, and inability to access quality early draft picks courtesy of winning premierships.

Graham is not the only one whose form has dropped. But the strength of the club through 2017-2020 was that Graham was in the bottom 6 of our best line up. Our bottom 6 right now are kids having played less than 10-20 games. Players like Graham have not been able to fill the void left by retiring champions.

This is why we need to be patient and get as much overs as we can for our tradable assets. Rioli, Baker, Bolton, Graham, even Blight if he wants to return to WA. Get as many early draft picks as we can and hopefully draft our next generation of champions.

Being a premiership player doesn't necessarily mean you're a gun. Darryl Freame (no disrespect intended) is a Richmond premiership player, Matthew Richardson is not.
2021 definitely capable of contending, but it wasn't to be.
The league caught up and quickly and we regressed somewhat.
History tells you three in a tow or three in four is where it definitely pulls up and then you are in trouble.
We ignored obvious warning signs at the end of 2021 and 2022 was mediocre. We did the end at 2022 again.
Hardwick thinking we have had one more run in us with ageing players was complete nonsense and he knew it and quickly bailed.
From where we ame from, I'm happy to cop fthe next three bad years, but we can do a lot to help ourselves and we haven't done that for two yeares.
We've been hanging on to a past that doesn't want us.
What you are saying is what I'm saying, Graham's form has been putrid, but he is by far the lone ranger (and the bloke arguing wit me thinks he has a solid argument by talking about what he did in 2018). It's six years ago.
Don't start me on Short and McIntosh, who are undroppable.
What's not lost on me is the excuse our bottom five or six all have 6-10 games, yeah, as the non-performing senior players never make way.
I just hope Yze takes a broom to the joint and strats playing people on merit and not reputation.
I am looking forard to this draft and having as many as five picks in the first round.
Find even thre egems and we are going to be a force down the track.
Agree on the Freame v Richardson analogy.
Some of the blokes put on pedestals in recents times has been amazing.

Firstly, happy fathers day.
Secondly - it was 2019 prelim. A d he has played some very, very solid footy since then.
And players don’t play crook? Ok. Footy is never as simple as that. If you have played any sport, let alone footy, you’d know that.
And again, you are angry that the Tigers and the supporters want to extract maximum value for a trade. You want us to take unders because of your views. Again. Tells us everything we need to know.

Happy father's day to you to CB.
I'll put it in REAL terms.
You're a cricketer .. and a decent one.
You probably played A-grade and did real well. back when.
But that was 15 years ago. You've slowly .. or maybe even quickly ... capatpulted backwards through the ranks and are paying C or D grade and barely holding your own amongst a gallery of young'uns and up and comers.
NO ONE can ever take away from the fact you hit 100 in A-grade back in 2005.
But it's not a basis for you to win an A-grade recall next month when you barely hit double figures in C grade last time around in March.
You're skills aren't what they were and you've slowed.
That's Jack Graham. We all LOVE what he did in 2019 but the bloke is slow, injury prone and offers little in terms of offence and is an absolute liability being cut up by midfielders and defenders going the other way.
A decent game in every 10 doesn't cut it.
But tell me the last time he was dropped? NEVER!! And why did we rush him back every time, only t have him reinjure himslf in his comeback game?

LOL .... if I'd played any sport, let alone footy.
Give it a break.
Played plenty of both, sport and footy.
Can tell you, spent a pre-season in the VFL under-19s system back when and knew back then, as I still do, that I was not up to it, which is why I have exactly zero VFL under-19 games to my credit, but a few practice matches.
I was smart enough to know there were plenty in the line ahead of me.
I could tell you I was hard done by, or me injuring my wrist in an intra-club at Bulleen was my downfall, but I'd be kidding myself and have no qualms with being honest about the fact I wasn't good enough. Still did reasonably well at metro and country level.

And stop moving the goal posts .. I never said I was against or even angry about us extracting the most of the Graham trade.
It's my OPINION that he is not worth much. Do you thin if the shoe was on the other foot and West Coast had won three in four years and they were offering us a beaten up Graham, you'd be paying full odds? NO!
If we were to get a second rounder or end of first round pick out of him I'd be doing cartwheels ... would be an absolute heist. I wouldn't be unhappy, but that's just the narrative on here - and always has been - if you don't fully praise and glorify a player then you are hating Richmond and miserable ;)
But I don't back away from the fact that if he serves up what he has for us thr past three years, a new West Coast coach trying to make his mark in the game will drop him like no tomorrow.
Something our blokes don't have the balls to do.

Heard we may be trading him for Jai Culley from West Coast. Blight getting 2 year offer from eagles while are offering 1year. I can’t be 100 % this is correct.
Where did you see the 2 year deal and the trade being reported

Happy father's day to you to CB.
I'll put it in REAL terms.
You're a cricketer .. and a decent one.
You probably played A-grade and did real well. back when.
But that was 15 years ago. You've slowly .. or maybe even quickly ... capatpulted backwards through the ranks and are paying C or D grade and barely holding your own amongst a gallery of young'uns and up and comers.
NO ONE can ever take away from the fact you hit 100 in A-grade back in 2005.
But it's not a basis for you to win an A-grade recall next month when you barely hit double figures in C grade last time around in March.
You're skills aren't what they were and you've slowed.
That's Jack Graham. We all LOVE what he did in 2019 but the bloke is slow, injury prone and offers little in terms of offence and is an absolute liability being cut up by midfielders and defenders going the other way.
A decent game in every 10 doesn't cut it.
But tell me the last time he was dropped? NEVER!! And why did we rush him back every time, only t have him reinjure himslf in his comeback game?

LOL .... if I'd played any sport, let alone footy.
Give it a break.
Played plenty of both, sport and footy.
Can tell you, spent a pre-season in the VFL under-19s system back when and knew back then, as I still do, that I was not up to it, which is why I have exactly zero VFL under-19 games to my credit, but a few practice matches.
I was smart enough to know there were plenty in the line ahead of me.
I could tell you I was hard done by, or me injuring my wrist in an intra-club at Bulleen was my downfall, but I'd be kidding myself and have no qualms with being honest about the fact I wasn't good enough. Still did reasonably well at metro and country level.

And stop moving the goal posts .. I never said I was against or even angry about us extracting the most of the Graham trade.
It's my OPINION that he is not worth much. Do you thin if the shoe was on the other foot and West Coast had won three in four years and they were offering us a beaten up Graham, you'd be paying full odds? NO!
If we were to get a second rounder or end of first round pick out of him I'd be doing cartwheels ... would be an absolute heist. I wouldn't be unhappy, but that's just the narrative on here - and always has been - if you don't fully praise and glorify a player then you are hating Richmond and miserable ;)
But I don't back away from the fact that if he serves up what he has for us thr past three years, a new West Coast coach trying to make his mark in the game will drop him like no tomorrow.
Something our blokes don't have the balls to do.

This is nonsense about Jack Graham. Over his whole career, his average player rating is 9.18. Over the last 4 years his average player rating is actually above that. This makes him about the 12th highest rated player in an average team. He does about as many useful things in a game of football as players like Harry Perryman, Kyle Langford, Jack Higgins, Jamie Cripps, Bayley Fritsch, Willie Rioli, who all rate in that type of range. It is just that you don't notice a lot of the useful things Graham is doing. The bloke is 25 years old. He is not going to be suffering a captain blood 17 like decline as a middle aged cricketer. He had just lacked a bit of continuity given his injuries.

Jack Graham's attributes don't seem very sexy, but he is a useful player. His "decline" is an absolute illusion created by the fact the team has declined around him. He was never a superstar, and never will be. He is good enough to be around the fringes of the top dozen or so players at most clubs based on actual performance of his role.

This is nonsense about Jack Graham. Over his whole career, his average player rating is 9.18. Over the last 4 years his average player rating is actually above that. This makes him about the 12th highest rated player in an average team. He does about as many useful things in a game of football as players like Harry Perryman, Kyle Langford, Jack Higgins, Jamie Cripps, Bayley Fritsch, Willie Rioli, who all rate in that type of range. It is just that you don't notice a lot of the useful things Graham is doing. The bloke is 25 years old. He is not going to be suffering a captain blood 17 like decline as a middle aged cricketer. He had just lacked a bit of continuity given his injuries.

Jack Graham's attributes don't seem very sexy, but he is a useful player. His "decline" is an absolute illusion created by the fact the team has declined around him. He was never a superstar, and never will be. He is good enough to be around the fringes of the top dozen or so players at most clubs based on actual performance of his role.
Yep, the main problem with Jack Graham isn't really Jack Graham. It's the club putting him back into the starting 22 as soon as he can stand up after another injury. Half of our list have 2-4 week injuries and they are out for 10 weeks. Jack Graham has 6-8 week injuries and is back in 2.

I've never seen 'an average player rating' win a game of football.
The only part of average player rating' that applies to jack is the 'average'; bit.
Watch the opposition defenders and midfielders breeze past him on the rebound. He's a liability.
But congrats on being honst enough to say he was never a superstar and never will be.
It's a concession plenty on here can't allow themselves to contemplate, hency why they talk up games in 2019.
PS I'd still take Jack over Short, no matter how slow he is.

That is fair enough when injury free. He finished off the season pretty well. Problem is we are rebuilding and his half forward/midfield spot is surely going to be taken up by FOS or the like, Macauliffe, whoever else can run through is position. Having Taranto, Hopper, Prestia and Graham is just not going to cut it, not quick enough. And the first 3 are going nowhere just yet. Move on and get good compo, nothing to lose and good luck to Graham.

Oh and Jacob Blight. We should just keep him. We're losing enough players. Give him a 2 year deal and a full professional pre-season and see what he has.
I would love to see us play him forward in the Tom Lynch role. Just use his size and marking power. All the forwards we are trying are mobile, run and jump type players. Yes, we need that type of player but we also need a big powerful target. Maybe Blight could fill that role. I think he could be a bit slow for a modern kpf.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would love to see us play him forward in the Tom Lynch role. Just use his size and marking power. All the forwards we are trying are mobile, run and jump type players. Yes, we need that type of player but we also need a big powerful target. Maybe Blight could fill that role. I think he could be a bit slow for a modern kpf.
Why not. Tyler Young is another who could give it a go if need be, while not a marking player yet, he reads the ball in the air very well. But Blight will be up and running first, before Lefau and Young, so why not see how it goes.

Why not. Tyler Young is another who could give it a go if need be, while not a marking player yet, he reads the ball in the air very well. But Blight will be up and running first, before Lefau and Young, so why not see how it goes.
FWIW I saw Young at the North game. Had his arm in a sling & looked recent with all the padding etc. At least he’s contracted.

I've never seen 'an average player rating' win a game of football.
The only part of average player rating' that applies to jack is the 'average'; bit.
Watch the opposition defenders and midfielders breeze past him on the rebound. He's a liability.
But congrats on being honst enough to say he was never a superstar and never will be.
It's a concession plenty on here can't allow themselves to contemplate, hency why they talk up games in 2019.
PS I'd still take Jack over Short, no matter how slow he is.

Oppo players breeze past Jack Graham. Yet Jack Graham averages 4.7 tackles per game. Something doesn't quite add up here.

And you have seen activities that go to make up a player's average player rating win games many times, you just probably didn't realise it.

There is a reason Jack Graham gets picked every time he is available. There is a reason Jack Graham's player rating is fringe top 12 in an average AFL team. There is a reason Jack Graham has never been omitted for a final when fit. There is a reason Richmond wins games at a lot higher rate when Jack Graham plays compared to when he doesn't play. And there is a reason he has been the subject of decent offers from rival clubs including this year. And that reason is that he is a good footballer. You just can't see it.

If he wants to go see ya later. I don't see anything special. Good mark that's it. Kicking is suspect, to slow for me, slow below his knees. For me his vfl footballer. Better then Miller and Young based on what lol 3 games and one game Fremantle exposed him. Yeah Miller last 10 games we're a bit let of a down , but his first half of the year was good holding our backline together. Young wasn't great to this year , but he proved himself in 2022. I reckon there form dropping off had alot to do with no defensive pressure up forward and midfield ball coming g in continuous.

Oppo players breeze past Jack Graham. Yet Jack Graham averages 4.7 tackles per game. Something doesn't quite add up here.

And you have seen activities that go to make up a player's average player rating win games many times, you just probably didn't realise it.

There is a reason Jack Graham gets picked every time he is available. There is a reason Jack Graham's player rating is fringe top 12 in an average AFL team. There is a reason Jack Graham has never been omitted for a final when fit. There is a reason Richmond wins games at a lot higher rate when Jack Graham plays compared to when he doesn't play. And there is a reason he has been the subject of decent offers from rival clubs including this year. And that reason is that he is a good footballer. You just can't see it.
Watch some footage, boss.
4.7 tackles at none that stick.
3 in a pack before a ball up.
Watch the footage and concede transition from defence and midfield killed us all year!
And watch said transition and Graham trying to keep up in the background or being flat footed out back.

I know you love stats and try to spin them to make every Tiger look elite and to promote your faves.
But here’s two stats.
We won 2 games. Two.
We were 18th. 18th.
We’re so elite in so many areas but dead last!
Tackle counts show you’re second to the ball.
Show me the stats on how easily opposition teams went coast to coast from defence this year?
Where was JG?

By about rnd 18 2021 it was obvious we were past contending. That was quite a few years ago.

By end of next season the time between the moment it was obvious the team was not capable of contending any more will be longer than the entire period of the dynasty & the club has barely started the rebuild

Is Blight even committed to us for 2025? Has he re-signed yet? Stunned the club didn't get that contract done before the mid one expired

Is Blight even committed to us for 2025? Has he re-signed yet? Stunned the club didn't get that contract done before the mid one expired
I doubt he stays as we seem not to have any plans for him where West coast does. They probably need him anyway so good luck to the kid hope he shines for them.

I doubt he stays as we seem not to have any plans for him where West coast does. They probably need him anyway so good luck to the kid hope he shines for them.
I still think we require Blight for the next season or two. Give him a full pre-season & give him a chance to learn whatever our new gameplan will be. At worst he is a backup in a position we are not overly strong in & maybe he might flourish in a professional environment. He will also come incredibly cheap for insurance in the back half of the ground, & give us time to recruit or draft in, over the next few seasons when we have abundance of salary cap to spend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #51 Jacob Blight - Re-Signed for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back